1 hour ago, Branston said:

What game were you watching . Hanley had a real mare assisted by Dimi . Gibbo would get blamed even if he hadn't played .

21 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

I would have to disagree about Hanley there, he has mitigation in that he has been out injured for so long but he was beaten to the ball easily for QPR's second - and there had been a warning as there was a very similar situation a bit before that where the forward got a header in that just went wide. Also picked up a very silly yellow which could have put him in a difficult situation if he had been forced into a "tactical" foul to stop a break. 

One of his more forgettable games, for me. 

I have to say I'm generally a fan of Gibson so there's nothing to do with me unfairly blaming but look at Gibsons positioning for the second goal. No man's land basically. Gibson was beaten in the air and for strength regularly. Hanley wasn't. 

The yellow was basically a tactical foul. Thankfully he noticed the rest of the team weren't in position for the throw in and he bought his teammates a vital extra few seconds.

I thought I'd have a look at their statistical ratings and I know some don't like it but adds up with exactly what I thought...

image.thumb.png.06dd595114706ac0028f0667aea841e2.png

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

I have to say I'm generally a fan of Gibson so there's nothing to do with me unfairly blaming but look at Gibsons positioning for the second goal. No man's land basically. Gibson was beaten in the air and for strength regularly. Hanley wasn't. 

The yellow was basically a tactical foul. Thankfully he noticed the rest of the team weren't in position for the throw in and he bought his teammates a vital extra few seconds.

I thought I'd have a look at their statistical ratings and I know some don't like it but adds up with exactly what I thought...

image.thumb.png.06dd595114706ac0028f0667aea841e2.png

Well, we all see games differently so I guess there are dozens of different player ratings out there.

Regardless of Gibson's positioning, and I'M not particularly defending him, but both for the earlier header and for the actual 2nd QPR goal, Hanley is marking the forward - and both times he fails to get a challenge in. As I said previously, he has mitigation as he must still be pretty rusty but I think he is definitely at fault for the second goal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Well, we all see games differently so I guess there are dozens of different player ratings out there.

Regardless of Gibson's positioning, and I'M not particularly defending him, but both for the earlier header and for the actual 2nd QPR goal, Hanley is marking the forward - and both times he fails to get a challenge in. As I said previously, he has mitigation as he must still be pretty rusty but I think he is definitely at fault for the second goal.

These are ratings based on statistical models just to clarify,  not a journalists opinion.. there are different models but every one paints a similar type picture. I think Hanley can do better for the second goal but ultimately so could 3 other players at least.

On 10/02/2024 at 17:32, Rolf Harris said:

Who else could of played? Duffy out and Batth is legless. 

McLean could HAVE played there, sad to say he's probably our best CB currently 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, hogesar said:

These are ratings based on statistical models just to clarify,  not a journalists opinion.. there are different models but every one paints a similar type picture. I think Hanley can do better for the second goal but ultimately so could 3 other players at least.

Well, I'm not quite sure how the statistical models work, to tell you the truth. I look at the graphic you put up and I'm surprised that Sara has a higher score than Sarge, I'm a fan of both of them but I'm not sure Sara's score is justified.

Anyway, I'm not sure if at least 3 other players could do better for the 2nd goal (and I can't be bothered to go back and watch it again), but I do maintain that Hanley was the defender marking the striker who got his shot off and scored, that to me says he was ultimately responsible for not preventing it. I suspect he would admit that, too ??  I think at his best, he gets a foot in there and blocks the shot.

17 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

McLean could HAVE played there, sad to say he's probably our best CB currently 😀

If kenny is to play cb it has to be on the left side in place of Gibson.   Gibson to the right side hasn't done well and its been the same for the right footed cbs on the left.

Gibson really struggled against Armstrong and with the ball and hanley was better but to be beaten for movement and position isnt good.   But neither had a good game.

On 10/02/2024 at 18:11, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Hanley didn't look up to scratch to me today, it's not his fault as he's been out a long time with a bad injury and hasn't had much game time, infact he was supposed to be out till March so he's done well but he was poor today. 

Gibson can play the ball out but he wasn't as his best either so with QPR pressing us well on a small pitch we looked pretty hopeless playing out today. 

Wagner is not going to change how he plays and if we get a new coach in the summer you can guarantee he'll want to pass out from the back too so this area has got to be looked at in the summer. Most people who complain about playing out from the back are more concerned with our ability to do it as opposed to the idea of it, we need better ball playing CB's in the summer. Gibson and Batth will likely be let go and I think one of Hanley or Duffy should go too depending on Hanley's recovery and we need 3 cb's in who are comfortable with the ball at their feet or we're just going to keep causing ourselves issues. 

I will be pleasantly surprised if we sign 3 new CBs in the summer. I can see one from within the club being promoted to first team proper. And then possibly two others.

I struggle to see that though. Much depends upon where we are too.

On 10/02/2024 at 21:36, sonyc said:

I posted on the match thread that Brad Hills on loan at Accrington has been given the captaincy and has featured strongly in central defence all season. It's a proper footballing experience for him in League 2. To be 19 and on loan and given the captaincy is quite a big deal. It shows they have a massive faith in him and just has to be good for us if he's considered capable.

Tomlinson has also nailed down a right back slot (often but not all the time) at Bradford City.

There are some reasons for us to be cautiously hopeful we have at least some stand in's for next season if we don't go up and we refresh our defence. I suppose we just have to wait to see what the club decides. There is Warner too and I'm expecting at least one to make the grade.

Jonathan Tomkinson had an "outstanding" game this evening for Bradford against the MK Dons. That was a quote from a fan but I also have a season ticket friend who went tonight who messaged me that he was brilliant. He showed bursts of speed throughout the match and even an assist.

I know it's been a good night for us but hearing reports like this just caps it off.