Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Who was/is the best City striker?

One who never gets a mention in this sort of poll, inspite of a considerable goal tally is John Deehan: and an able cover at centre half he was too.

It''s always a question best answered by the time of your closest following of the team/formative years of fan-ship etc so for me it will be Kevin Reeves and Justin Fashanu in their short spell together up-front: the classic little and large that when it was on song (thrashing European Champions Forest at home 3-0 comes to mind most readily) was as pootent as anything in the old first division and saw them both in the first 10 £1million players in this country.

I''d go for Iwan Roberts too.

Note to the posters knocking Robbo and those suggesting he''s the best striker we''ve ever had - bear in mind that he''s our third top goalscorer ever and in the current climate of agents and club-hopping, that''s a great achievement.

Not sure about picking individual strikers - in many cases they worked best with someone else - Bone and Cross, MacDougall and Boyer, Sutton and Ekoku, Roberts and Bellamy, even Fleck and Rosario(??). I''m just trying to stretch my memory back to who Deehan and Drinkell played alongside on a consistent basis - any suggestions? Perhaps Ashton and MacKenzie could have been mentioned in the same breath at some future date but, sadly, Leon''s injuries this season have rendered that discussion academic.

For a Golden Oldie like me, I''d have to say that Terry Bly has got to right up there with the best; but I also agree with others that ''Hovering'' Ron Davies was also out of this world as a header of the ball.  I''ve never seen anyone better in the air (not even the late lamented Peter Osgood) and although it was often the weight a medicine ball, especially in wet weather, it simply flew off his head. 

[quote user="MadDan"]Should really be - Who was/is the best City striker you have seen play ?[/quote]

Indeed!

Being 15 mine has to be Dean Ashton I''m sure you''ll agree that in my 9 years of attending he is the best in terms of talent, but passion and character would have to be big Iwan i think! Chris Martin and Seb Muddel in years to come, if we ever get a manager who will play them.

Drinkells most productive partnership was with Wayne ''Bertie'' Biggins , a vastly underrated striker and the hardest headerer of the ball I have ever seen.As a partnership they were virtually unplayable when we ran away with the (old) Div 2 title in 85/86.

Deehan best partnership IMO was with Keith Bertschin a much derided striker who looked a far better player with Dixie by his side than he actually was.

Iwan is a legend - not the best, technically, but bled yellow and green

for 7 years.  plus I got to shake his hand days before the Crewe

game and said "score one more for us!"... he scored two! [:D]

Bellers, Sutton, Fleck as well, and Ashton is a future England player, despite what the bitter boo-boys say!

Ron Davies.

Honourable mentions for MacDougall, Curran, Reeves, and that wee man in my name.

Sorry guys, much as I love Iwan, his effort, commitment, yes and even his goals I don''t think he would get in the top 20.