Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Who was/is the best City striker?

With all this mourning the loss of Ashton from our team, I thought it would be as good a time as any to resurrect this question. I have only been attending games at Carrow Road since 1983 so I have to omit several extremely talented Norwich players from the equation, but my favourite has to be Robert Fleck. Honourable mentions go to Kevin Drinkell, Chris Sutton, Iwan Roberts and Craig Bellamy. Hopefully Earnie will prove to be one of City''s better buys, but only time will tell. I''m forgetting Ashton altogether because of his total lack of passion. What do others think?

Laurie Sheffield! Totally talentless, overweight and slow.

John Manning! See above but slightly taller.

Peter Sylvester! Better be careful here beacuse I think he''s still around here somewhere - and still looking for his first Canary goal probably.

Seriously, for me it would have to be Jimmy Bone. Everytime he got the ball his head went down and he ran at oppostion defences causing total panic. He had a very short spell of "greatness" here or anywhere else.

If not Jimmy, then the one and only Ted McDougall. Selfish, lazy and arrogant, but boy was he deadly in the six yard box. Get him the ball in there and it was in the net.

Gotta be Ted MacD! [:)] Childhood nostalgia and all that. Actually, I do think that he and Boyer would take some beating in a poll of the best City front pairing.   

Kevin Drinkell gets it for me.

Regular scorer, had a bit of everything-outside the box, inside it, long range shots, headers, deflections, the lot.

Would have him and Sutton as an attacking duo in my Canary dream team.

Always rated Malcolm Allen as well-scored regularly for us when he played, and a skilful player-he and Iwan would have been an excellent combination for Norwich and Wales.

[quote user="steve hale"]I used to like Fleck.Would get ya 20 a season in the top flight no problems :)

Best volleyer of the ball we have ever had for sure.

[/quote]

Er.... Chelsea?

Ashton for me, best player I''ve seen in any position in a yella shirt for 20 years.

I know this is before your time but ask folk about Ron Davies.

Superb in the air, genuinely two-footed and great at holding the ball up. I also agree with those who said less than flattering things about Laurtie Sheffiled BUT I was there when he scored a hatrick against Derby on his home debut (I think).

In fact I pre-date the Barclay when we were the South Stand Choir!

My favourite - Iwan ''the God'' Roberts, scored plenty of old fashioned centre forward goals & had loads of passion!!

Best - In my time I''d say Sutton because he scored 20 in a season in the top flight & looked good doing it. It could have been Bellars but unfortunately he didn''t get to play for us in the Premiership!

I never got see the likes of Ron Davies but my dad and his father always tell me the stories.  My grandfather who attends matches now when he is well enough always talks about how and what Ron Davies would have done in x situation or y.  He is one of those players of City past I wish I could have seen play as well as the likes of Stringer and Ted Mac.

In my lifetime it probably has to be Sutton. 

[quote user="T07"][quote user="steve hale"]I used to like Fleck.Would get ya 20 a season in the top flight no problems :)

Best volleyer of the ball we have ever had for sure.

[/quote]

Er.... Chelsea?

Ashton for me, best player I''ve seen in any position in a yella shirt for 20 years.[/quote]

I dont care what he done at Chelsea he done the buisness here :P.In the top flight something Iwan never got the chance to prove

Following on from what Saint Canary said, I would have loved to have seen Ron Davies in action as well. Other players I would have liked to have seen were Percy Varco, Terry Allcock and Johnny Gavin, although I believe Johnny was a winger, so strictly speaking he doesn''t count. If I could go back in time in a Time Machine, one of my requests would be to visit The Nest to see Varco scoring in front of a full house of loudly cheering City fans. On The Ball City!

Laurie Sheffield and John Manning werent the best, but they certainly werent the worst.  Hugh Curran was my favourite, but no-one has mentioned Dave Cross either.  I´m afraid much as I liked the bloke, Iwan Roberts doesn´t even get in my top ten, presumably those who rate him as top haven´t followed City for so long

I''d pick two,

Jimmy Bone , exciting to watch, the "Huckerby" of his day .

Ron Davies , classy, could jump for the ball and seem to stay in the air until his head met it . Bountiful goalscorer.

Hot Cross Bone.

Jimmy Bone was a wonder to behold.

Foggo hares down the wing, pushes one into the box and the defender just beats Bone to put it out for a corner. Bone has both fists clenched at the Barclay, screamin'' "come on ". The noise was deafening, the atmosphere electric.

I was flat on my arse once with a heap of others on top when we scored at one game. Christ alone knows how there wasn''t more injuries when everyone surged forward a hundreds tumbled forward.

Magic days

Iwan Roberts. one season he got 25 goals.. we scored 48 in total that season (1998-1999 i think was it??? will check later) we''d of been up the creek without his goals dragging us away from footballs 3rd tier in the dark days...

i was also a fan of Sutton, Belluz and Ekoku.

jas :)

As a boy I remember being in awe watching Ted MacDougall and Phil Boyer play alongside each other. Super Mac was deadly in front of goal, both on the ground and in the air. Hatricks against Everton and Villa come to mind just after we got promted. He read the game so well. As for Boyer, he would had shown Worthy what work rate was covering every blade of grass, setting up goals for Mac and others as well as banging in a hat-full himself.

Later on there were Drinkell, Sutton, Fleck and Iwan, all great Strikers in their own right. I would had loved to had seen what Iwan could had done in the same teams as Drinkell, Sutton and first time round Fleck played in.

Earnie will have to go some to live up to these legends, and I think it will be hard with Hoof ball Worthy in charge. 

Remembering the creative ability and style of these teams makes me even more sad at the current state of play. Worthy Out please!!!