Soldier on

Percy of Telegraph linking Rowe with Villa

Wagner has said he might not be available on Sunday versus Liverpool, because he's got a 'hurty hand'.

... And Josh gets too tired playing a lot of football!

When does the window close??

[Conspiracy theory]

3 hours ago, Soldier on said:

Usually he’s on the money. 

Or three scouts who have worked for Villa at some pint were at the Leeds v City game. The speculation being that if Villa are unable to sign Morgan Rogers (Boro) they would try their luck with City. So far Villa have come nowhere near Boros value of £10m.

Villa will find it incredibly difficult as Rowe joined Brentford (or was that Palace) last week, reporting by E I Addio of the Sun who posted up the signing up as an exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this is true it might explain Rowe not being upto scratch during Leeds / giving ball away etc. agent tells him put a performance in etc as scouts will be watching at Leeds and pressure got to him.

46 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Bigger issue is that you read The Torygraph. 

I don’t I follow the journalist on Twitter 

20 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If we sold Rowe and bought in Sammeie Szmodics and another.. I’d take that.

I have accepted he will be gone by the end of the season but if he's sold next month I won't be happy under any circumstances. He's saved us this season. Without us we would be down the bottom of the table.

He's nowhere near ready for Aston Villa, or any club of their ilk, and will languish in the shadows.

Even Emi took time to settle there, and I seem to remember it took a long time for him to become established as first team starter.

This same dilemna pops up at regular intervals, and it is basically the need to consider the right time for a promising young player to leave Carrow Road for both player and club equally.

Look at Omo and note the serious game time he has had at Forest.  Apparently we needed the money and the player liked the cash, but I am sure it would have been better for both if he had continued his career at Carrow Road and continued to progress. I'm aware that some have expressed doubts about his true calibre, but I fail to share this along with the manager who made the youngster captain.

Of course, you can never know with any degree of certainty, but I would suggest that we would have eventually got a bigger fee and the player would have benefitted from more game time in the Chumps if the whole business had not been so premature.

This situation now seems in danger of being replicated with Jonny Rowe.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's nowhere near ready for Aston Villa, or any club of their ilk, and will languish in the shadows.

Even Emi took time to settle there, and I seem to remember it took a long time for him to become established as first team starter.

This same dilemna pops up at regular intervals, and it is basically the need to consider the right time for a promising to leave Carrow Road for both player and club equally.

Look at Omo and note the serious game time he has had at Forest.  Apparently we needed the money and the player liked the cash, but I am sure it would have been better for both if he had continued his career at Carrow Road and continued to progress. I'm aware that some have expressed doubts about his true calibre, but I fail to share this along with the manager who made the youngster captain.

Of course, you can never know with any degree of certainty, but I would suggest that we would have eventually got a bigger fee and the player would have benefitted from more game time in the Chumps if the whole business had not been so premature.

Could actually argue that none of our youngsters who moved away, with the exception of Buendia, have really kicked on. Godfrey hasn't, Lewis definitely hasn't, Aarons and Omobamidele are still very much question marks...

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Bigger issue is that you read The Torygraph. 

Perhaps soldier on should be “no platformed” ?

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Could actually argue that none of our youngsters who moved away, with the exception of Buendia, have really kicked on. Godfrey hasn't, Lewis definitely hasn't, Aarons and Omobamidele are still very much question marks...

Jacob Murphy has done pretty well at Newcastle, but I get your point. 

It's a very quiet transfer window, the people who are suffering the most are the agents, if they don't manufacture some moves their going to lose out and have to 'get by' until the summer.

Expect a lot of 'linked with' stories in the next few days as the agents start calling their friends in the papers.

2 minutes ago, astro said:

Fair point, I was thinking from Farke onwards.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

You can also argue against that, as Villa’s success coincided with Buendia’s injury and their change of system. Only time will tell if he has a future role, once he is fit.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

You can also argue against that, as Villa’s success coincided with Buendia’s injury and their change of system. Only time will tell if he has a future role, once he is fit.

Not completely sure there, Emery seems to really rate him. I'd say it had more to do with Gerrard going, Emery coming in and replacing Tyrone Mings.

Whether Buendia or any other player who has left us has kicked on since leaving is totally irrelevant.

If Villa make an acceptable offer and Rowe gets a massive pay rise why wouldn't he move? Young players never turn down the money, especially nowadays.

I don't understand why Villa of all clubs can swim against the FFP tide, but presumably they're not carrying massive debt?

The issue for NCFC is how can we clear our debt if FFP stunts player trading? Ironic that all these years of self funding we choose now to rack up debt!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

This same dilemna pops up at regular intervals, and it is basically the need to consider the right time for a promising young player to leave Carrow Road for both player and club equally.

In the modern game you take the money when you can. It may never be on offer again. Buendia has been out injured all season (and in truth never really kicked on before). If that had happened with us he might never have got his £16m contract and we got our £30m+. That said it was a different situation - selling on promotion killed our momentum and led to what followed. We didn't have that momentum when we sold Omo, and we don't know if we have it now. He will stay on that basis, but if we don't go up the Summer is a different ball game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

In the modern game you take the money when you can. 

Not always, especially if there are a number of clubs in the chase for the player. I've lost track of the clubs with supposed interest in Rowe mentioned on this forum alone. Of course, they are all rumours, as I suspect the Villa link might be.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not always, especially if there are a number of clubs in the chase for the player. I've lost track of the clubs with supposed interest in Rowe mentioned on this forum alone. Of course, they are all rumours, as I suspect the Villa link might be.

We can't take money on a rumour. In reality every EPL club will be aware of Rowe but there have been no offers. It doesn't look like there will be much business by anyone, so it is very unlikely there is anything in this atm.

1 hour ago, astro said:

Agreed whilst the least said about his brother the better as far as football 'career' is concerned!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Whether Buendia or any other player who has left us has kicked on since leaving is totally irrelevant.

If Villa make an acceptable offer and Rowe gets a massive pay rise why wouldn't he move? Young players never turn down the money, especially nowadays.

I don't understand why Villa of all clubs can swim against the FFP tide, but presumably they're not carrying massive debt?

The issue for NCFC is how can we clear our debt if FFP stunts player trading? Ironic that all these years of self funding we choose now to rack up debt!

I believe it's not about debt, it's about losses made over a three year accounting period.

Debt is fine if you can service it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigFish said:

We can't take money on a rumour. 

I didn't say we could.

I was addressing your original point as not always being the case, even for City.

Didn't we hang on to Emi for that extra season after some assurances were made to him? That's the consensus in any case.

Besides, if 'every' PL club are aware of Rowe, and I don't doubt it, why should we take the first offer that comes along?

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I believe it's not about debt, it's about losses made over a three year accounting period.

Debt is fine if you can service it.

Yeah good point. It will be interesting to see how we service our debt without player trading to offset the interest...

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Besides, if 'every' PL club are aware of Rowe, and I don't doubt it, why should we take the first offer that comes along?

True. Trouble is didn't we turn down a huge offer for Omobamidele because it wasn't a good move for the player (according to Webber)? We then sell him for a paltry £11m. 

That said I can't see Rowe going for less than £20m whilst we are still challenging for the play-offs.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

True. Trouble is didn't we turn down a huge offer for Omobamidele because it wasn't a good move for the player (according to Webber)? We then sell him for a paltry £11m. 

That said I can't see Rowe going for less than £20m whilst we are still challenging for the play-offs.

Apparently, but "according to Webber" being the operative phrase. Did he not exaggerate by including add-ons though, as was supposed to be the case with the eventual sale to Forest?