Sign in to follow this  
kye5

why pink un

yes i know the pink un is printed on pink paper,but why pink paper not white .just curious?

I can never remember the proper answer to this one... but I do know that many papers added dyes to the paper to make it a more attractive colour than the murky grey. This may have happened during the the 30s/40s/50s, possibly because it was cheaper to use a greater mix of recycled paper than use fresh quality paper.It''s not printed on pink paper any more.

Not an explanation but a worthy comment on the old method of doing things -

" The last traditional, adrenaline-zapping, vomit-inducing, lifeenhancing deadline was on the blue, green or pink sports papers in the days when all football matches kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and finished promptly at 4.40pm. It was just you and a computer against the world while editors and print managers hovered nervously behind you.

I''ve seen grown men sweating like shaved pigs in a Tupperware box as that clock ticked remorselessly towards five o''clock. I''ve seen grown men cry as they noticed that a part-time copytaker had referred to "Hulking Stone Rovers" in a rugby league report. I''ve seen grown men faint after a proof reader (remember them) pointed out a rugby player waving his willy on a Page 27 team pic, long after the page had gone. "

I well remember hanging around the news stand at the bottom of the old Surrey St bus station as the first pinkun''s arrived around Five O''clock. The bundle would be ripped open and handed out faster than any distribution of food to the starving. Late results in bold type on the back page and a full report on the front. Always read the report as we jolted our way out of the city, even though I had just watched the game.

[quote user="MadDan"]Not an explanation but a worthy comment on the old method of doing things - " The last traditional, adrenaline-zapping, vomit-inducing, lifeenhancing deadline was on the blue, green or pink sports papers in the days when all football matches kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and finished promptly at 4.40pm. It was just you and a computer against the world while editors and print managers hovered nervously behind you. I''ve seen grown men sweating like shaved pigs in a Tupperware box as that clock ticked remorselessly towards five o''clock. I''ve seen grown men cry as they noticed that a part-time copytaker had referred to "Hulking Stone Rovers" in a rugby league report. I''ve seen grown men faint after a proof reader (remember them) pointed out a rugby player waving his willy on a Page 27 team pic, long after the page had gone. " I well remember hanging around the news stand at the bottom of the old Surrey St bus station as the first pinkun''s arrived around Five O''clock. The bundle would be ripped open and handed out faster than any distribution of food to the starving. Late results in bold type on the back page and a full report on the front. Always read the report as we jolted our way out of the city, even though I had just watched the game.[/quote]

Just a question but what is yours (or anyone elses take who was around at that time) on the atmosphere between opposition supporters in that era?  Was it friendlier?

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"]I can never remember the proper answer to this one... but I do know that many papers added dyes to the paper to make it a more attractive colour than the murky grey. This may have happened during the the 30s/40s/50s, possibly because it was cheaper to use a greater mix of recycled paper than use fresh quality paper.

It''s not printed on pink paper any more.
[/quote]

I know the Financial Times printed on pink paper to make it stand out from the Financial News.

I also think that Pink paper was cheaper because it didn''t have to be bleached to get the white colour.

Atmosphere changed noticably in the 60''s. By the 70''s it was the wild west.

All the guff about football violence in the 80''s was based on there being cameras to film it. Pussy cat stuff.

It was a rough working class sport that reflected those times. I''ve seen mass brawls in the barclay before the segregation. Poor old plod linked arms trying to hold the fans apart. The noise was incredible. Low roof, thousands of drunken fans and everyone charged up.

Beating Palace one nil to stay up. The whole ground was singing ''On the ball " Singing, not the stupid chant like stuff that sounds like a speak your weight machine doing an impression of a donkey. That night there was way way over the numbers listed. I jumped up to celebrate something and didn''t get back onto the ground for another ten minutes.

The game has changed immensely. The atmosphere is dire to the point of non existent. A few years back I was in the Barclay when were were playing Pompey. We scored and I stood up, and pointing at the fat bellied bloke with the bell, started to sing " You''re not ringing anymore ". Next thing I knew two stewards had walked up and were threatening to throw me out !

Worse still I was pulled over on my way out and warned that as they had my details on record any further disturbance would mean I would be banned ! !

I don''t condone violence and I wish is was like it was in the 50''s, but somewhere we have lost an awful, awful lot of the fun.

Now, I want you to make a mental note on what you''ve just said MadDan. According to you the fun started to disappear about the same time as I left the good old city. Would you like me to come back????

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Just a question but what is yours (or anyone elses take who was around at that time) on the atmosphere between opposition supporters in that era?  Was it friendlier?[/quote]

You''ve opened up an opportunity for the good old days here. Here goes then.

I don''t think friendly was a word that came into it. Going to the football was like going to war. The only chance of meeting away fans was if one set or another broke through the police cordon and met toe to toe. The atmosphere in the Barclay was superb. You turned up at least half an hour before the kick-off and both sets of supporters would be singing long before kick-off. No eating your pies and drinking your pint until five minutes before kick-off. Maybe it''s all that music that keeps everyone away and stops them singing before the game these days.

Best things were the surges when everyone leaned forward when an attack was close to the goal, and everyone going ballistic when we scored and you ended up yards away from where you started. Lots more different songs, and as an earlier poster said, singing ''On the ball City'' properly.

A couple of personal highlights. I first took my wife (girlfriend at the time) to Carrow Rd on Boxing Day 1971, vs Charlton 30,000 in the ground. We were in the Barclay and just before half-time I felt her head on my shoulder ''That''s nice'' I thought. Soon found out she had in fact fainted, but we were jammed in so tight she hadn''t fallen over.

1969. Charlton again. I believe this was the first ''cushion'' game. The game was dire until about 5 mins from the end when Charlton were awarded a dubious and hotly-disputed penalty. The main stand supporters, who weren''t exactly renowned for their passion, started to throw their cushions on the pitch (Yes, they had little cushions to protect their bums). Stewards etc tried to clear them, but even more came on, and I clearly remember Theo Foley the Charlton coach trying to throw them back. Eventually order was restored, penalty was scored and City managed to equalise in the closing seconds with a rare goal by Neil O''Donnell. Another classic example of why you should never leave before the end.

Must stop I''m getting tired and emotional.

Never understood how those surges started. Do remember sat on the grass at the back of Barclay one afternoon as the Leicester fans came round. Massive union jack and some idiot in a long white butchers coat. Otherwise it was the standard banded scarf hanging from the belt.

Hundreds of them, all being put through the far turnstiles near the south stand. Next thing there''s an almighty rumpus as City fans attacked them. Not sure how there wasn''t a cordon, but after it had been sorted I found the bloke near me had the white coat.

The rest of the game was nothing more than massive sideways surges as the rival fans sort to gain the advantage. Unsurprisingly, for those days, the bar reopened at half time, oblivious to the mayhem around.

Policing was pretty basic as an older lad who I knew from Guist had been thrown out before the game but simply paid and got back in again.

Do wonder now what it must have looked like to those in other parts of the ground as these incidents were not isolated scuffles but full scale battles. Only saving grace was that no one was seriously injured.