Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Nicknames

Some great responses here. Did Susie drink a wee bit too much Castlemain than was good for her?? Only joking Susie!

Good call by a1 on the King as well.

And a big thanks to cityangel for the kind comments too. U deserve your nickname after your fantastic confidence over Crimbo! Your positive outlook on this board is very refreshing

No - Mimmy has never given a reason fo the Zipper nickname - however I have always had trouble getting sound reasons out of an 7 year old. She has called him this since she saw him in her first game at home to Huddersfield about 3 seasons ago when we won 4-0 midweek - it stuck probably as she could remember that rather than his real name!

As a first game I took her to the Upper river end but I had the swelling moment of pride when she insisted half waythrough the game that she didnt like it being so quiet and insisted on going where the singing was. She has just signed up for her third Barclay season ticket

I have just asked her why Zipper and now 10 she can no longer recall either other he looked like it suited him!?!

OTBC

No actual canaries references at all im afraid, Just an old 60''s japanese monster that I''ve, well, taken to heart. He''s a giant turtle. Newer remakes are just as great. Sorry getting into geeky territory. Just decided to change it from my old tag which was my actual name. Got bored with it and decided to change it. Riviting stuff.

well mines quite easy to be honest, while at school playing football i was pretty famous for missing sitters ''1 yard wonder'' seems to spring to mine. anyway i used to love it when i took it past people who were really good playing for the school team and so on, then i would blow it by missing an open goal. when a missed again once i turned round and two peoplo got donw on there knees in the praying postiion (while laughing there heads off that i missed) and everysince people have called me ''The lord'' rather longwinded i know but thats the story.

I was being smutty I am afraid Susie. Then you shamed me by giving a sensible answer so I decided to pretend it was a geography question.

Don''t think twice about it, Kathy. No probs. The name Oz is a slight corruption of ''soz'' derived from sozzled! It was the only time I have gone OTT, and the aftermath was horrible, especially when in the loo being ill and finding my dear chums had done the usual ''cling film over the bowl'' trick. I really, truly have never let myself get that bad since as I prefer the room nice and still, thank you very much! Still, I might consider breaking the tradition of sobriety IF you-know-what happens sometime soon - just as a one-off, mind!!!

hi all, only a few people on here will know the origins of my name, so here goes

about eight years ago, when my son was at the peak of his footballing greatness (he was really good, but got fed up when he hit the fifteen mark) he used to play in midfield and one of his former coaches one day said he was a real little gazza (after paul gascoigne).

So when i started posting on the city message boards i chose that name - son is nearly 18 now, and doesn''t like to be reminded of his more active footballing moments! His vocal chords are more active these days in block D of the barclay. Boy am i proud of him still!

ok so my name has evolved and grown through the ages, it started when my mate called me wizzy as a reflection on my last name and my ''never stop running football attitude''. it then became MR Whiz which has stuck since and for hte last 5 years thats what they call me, the sad thing is i still dont stop runnin on that pitch

Living in the New York city area one is constantly bombarded by the media with the latest multi million dollar signings and successes of the New York Yankees baseball team. I have to admit, grudgingly, the team has an amazing history. However, most baseball fans in this area either love or hate the Yankees. I fall into the latter category. The coverage they get is excessive versus other New York sports franchises and their owner is one of the most arrogant people you ever would want to encounter. Some people ( who don''t know me very well ) think I have an arrogant or cutting manner about me. If you perceive either of those things coming across in my posts, it''s probably nothing to do with my real personality but that horrible Yankee influence.

My name came from a drunken night out playing pool, I won every game that night (most of them by flukes) and was known as the Spawny little *****r then seeing as Spawn rhymed with my real name (Shaun) it stuck, so for about 5 years now all my web usernames have been Spawn.
Great thread DD.

Nelson has always been my historical hero. After finally reading a book about his life and discovering he was born in Norfolk it seemed the ideal choice. Not very imaginative I''m afraid.

Ok then, complicated and not at all funny, but here we go.......

I spent 13 years in the RAF, and no-one could ever get a nickname to stick for some reason.....the closest I came to having a nickname was when someone decided that because my first name is Gregory, he linked it to Gregory Peck, then to Templeton Peck, from the A-Team, hence Templeton.......this name stayed with me for about 3 months, but it seemed like a good name to re-initiate for these boards..........

Sorry, not a very good story, I know, but there you go!

Strave Dinger - you are honing in on me!

All will be revealed at the Pinkun Party (see thread of that name) if it gets off the ground.

Web Team Celia - is anything happening on the oscars idea in relation to the Pinkun Party?? You said you''d all put your thinking hats on about it.

They sound like an American version of an English Premier team based in a rainy city in the North West of England - excessive coverage, arrogance, multi-million dollar team, arrogant owners (and manager??).

Just think, Yankee Canary - you could have called yourself Manyoo Canary!!!!!

I think that New York Yankees / ManU did a co-marketing deal a couple of years back so there is more than the obvious links in how they operate :-). I don''t know if this deal is still going though.

I went to a Yankees game in 2002 whilst I was sent on a contract from work to NY - against the Angels I think it was - had a great time but the crowd was soooo quiet compared to footie.

I thought it quite reasonable at $17 for a seat - I was up in the gods - but the view was good. Food & drink were really expensive, and took ages to get but the whole game lasted about 3.5 hours so that wasn''t too bad. I tried to enlighten a few people around me into the ways of the Canaries even trying to start up ''On the ball City''!!!

I even managed to convert one work US colleague - who was already a footie fan - into supporting the City - he came over last year and I took him to the West Ham (away) game.

He''s now a confirmed yella - and proudly walks the streets of Brooklyn in a Lotus away shirt!

I don''t think I really need to explain the origins of my nickname, unless you have only just jumped on the bandwagon and know nothing!!

I am also known as this on the bbc 606 website on the rare ocasion that I go on it.

templeton, all very good, but as i said on another one, where are all the great posters of the past gone, where is mook, and foghorn and what about XXXL16, where are they?

not that we haven''t got some more than able new recruits, i just loved the spats between myself, mook and yankee and before that chicken and highlander - come back guys!!!

My name is a tribute to all those hibernating Norwich fans who have started to actively support their team again.

I am a fan of Star Wars in which Luke Skywalker is constantly being tempted to turn to the dark side. Now we are successful again people are being tempted by the yellow side....

by the dark side, do you mean the death star region of portman road and darth ''royle'' vadar?

i apologise for the spelling, but you get the idea

lol, Star wars

i simply got my nickname from the first letters of my first and middle name :D
hence "AJ"

IT could also stand for "Adam Drury" spelt "Adam Jury" :P

Got my "posting name" from the Jam song of the same - "We''re only making plans for Nigel"
Not that I really liked the song or the Jam, come to that
Just thought it had some relevance to Worthy
Not a bad song for someone to put so new words to so it can be sung at games