Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Nicknames

I put the Z into Jonsey to jazz it up a little bit, and couldn''t use Jonsey anyway as the other Jonsey had beat me to it.

I should have thought of a really clever and tenuous nickname which would need explaining. But couldn''t be ars*d.

The Pink''un headline of 10 January 1959 when City as a Third Division (South) side played Manchester United (Bobby Charlton and all) off the park at Carrow Road by 3-0 in the 3rd round of the FA Cup read "Bly, Bly, Babes".
Terry Bly scored 2 goals that famous day when we outfootballed the Busby Babes in a phenomenal display.
I can still clearly recall looking on from the River End how that team 0f 1958-60 used to short pass the ball out of defence as cool as cucumber - especially on the left - Barry Butler, Ron Ashman, Matt Crowe, Bobby Brennan, Jimmy Hill et al with cool 5-10 yard passes Brazilian style!!
That was the start of the modern era for City and was a wonderful, wonderful time just like now.

OTBC

I used to be Ade Akinbinliner, which for anyone confused explains my post on page 1 of this thread. Changed names after the stoke game to Fatboy Slimfast. Basically, i can''t stand Fatboy slim and because i was always running him down to my mates they came up with the nickname Fatboy Slimfast. Oh, it might be something to do with being a fat Ba**a*d as well. Had the name for a few years now and am one of Sally Traffics trusted trafic spotters on radio 2.

Fatman Fat - just out of curiosity, what do you clock in at? Does my bulky 19 stone make me the undisputed king of the fat boys?

Fatboy Slimfast, I don''t know if you have noticed but there is a Fatboy Slim now on this board. I wonder if he would like to explain why he chose his name and if it was for the opposite reason to you!!!

Susie b,

Just watching the news, and how everyone''s going on about kids being obese. Well, I was huge as a kid. I was the entire front row when we played rugby. Didn''t need a wall to block the free kicks at football - that was me. Leg before wicket - more like belly before wicket. Didn''t need a heavy roller on the wicket when they had me. 100 metre sprint was more like a marathon.

From my peak of 16.5 stone at 16 yrs of age, I''m now down to 13. Fatboy slim is the name I''ve given myself. The other alternative was Roland - the fat kid out of Grange Hill.

I have resisted this as long as I can, but we are in the summer with no games and only rumours to keep us entertained.

My mates at college (years ago) called me blacko.
My dad called me charlie
my sister called me fred
some friends call me pierre
some call me pedro

so there you go, bit dull, but I had to choose one of them.

I initially thought up my Name for my BBC fanatasy League team, it was the start of this season and despite it looking like being another average campaign (no strikers, meggy kept nabbin our targets), i decided to name the team "Cerinous Canaria Glorificus". Or "Glorious Singing Canaries" for those not versed in latin.

The FL team itself has been awfull all season but i liked the ring of the name so I just lost the singing bit and kept the rest, simple.

Thanks for the explanation, FatBoy Slim! We will look forward to you becoming FatBoy Slimmer Still in the future, that is if you avoid Delia''s M & S sarnies and keep playing all the sports you seem to play! I can only assume that your bad start in life was due to your mum''s superb cooking. Thankfully, my mum''s was not the best so a diet of fruit and veg sustained me and I looked more like the netball post than the ball when I was a kid, although I''ve made up for it just a bit now! Guess we are just waiting for a SlimBoy Fat to start posting on here! I''ve heard about someone who has registered as Lard of Ale but has yet to post. I look forward to hearing his explanation for the name, although I think we can probably all guess!