Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Nicknames

Thought I''d start a thread on how eveyone got their nicknames/alias'' for this site. We''ve got some pretty weird and wonderful names on here. Before I get some smart Alec, I know that some people are their own names or where they are from in the country! However names such as Yankee, a1, Wiz, Mook, Tumbleweed to name just a few, are a bit different

I''ll start by saying how I came up with mine: Quite a few months ago yarmy did a Harry Potter spoof. Worthy was in it as was Delia (DumbleDelia!) It made me chuckle and stuck with me.

How did you get yours?

DD

Ps With regards to Yarmy can I just say what a fantastic fanzine it is. If you don''t buy it- DO! It''s only a squid and is worth every penny. Funny, informative and quite brilliant

My daughter is a big Paul McVeigh fan and for some reason she has always called him Zipper - I added the left foot bit as some one must have it, and why not me, as he simply hasn''t got one or chooses not to us it.

OTBC

I haven''t got a nickname on here, but I am told by my dad that, when aged about 5, I had hair just like Phil Boyer when he used to play for us...so my parents used to call me Charlie, which I think was his nickname. It stayed with me right through school as well, but ended when I went to Uni and was renamed Oz, for reasons I won''t go into!

I started off on the NCFC bulltin board, many years ago, as The Colchester Canary. Someone else then claimed he was the original Colchester Canary, so, something had to give and I changed my tag.

No prizes for guessing my forename and I''ve since moved to Chelmsford, which is handy really, for the tag at least. However, it now means a round trip of 167 miles every other week, but I''m sure plenty of others can beat that.

There you go, pretty boring really

Bloody good thread DD!. So here comes the official reason for my name of 1st Wizard.

As most of you regular posters on here know, I LOVE reading fantasy books, Two authors spring to mind who are my absolute favourites: Simon Green, who wrote the ''DEATHSTALKER'' saga (5 books), and Terry Goodkind who wrote ''The Sword Of Truth'' epic (now working on 9th novel in the series!.)

Well, in the first ''Sword Of Truth'' book you will come across a wise wizard called Zed ( I''ve shorten his real name because I can''t spell it, its so long) anyway Zed or Zediccus Zorrander.... there, I''ve attempted to spell it!. is the only 1st, or to you Grand, wizard left alive, he is the most powerful wizard there is in fact. (Except for his son Richard who''s a war wizard, but does''nt know it yet) So there you have it, I picked the name I suppose, because Zed is my favourite fictional charachter from my favourite novel. Its as simply as that really.

Mind you, war wizard has a certain ring to it, as does Deathstalker. Hmm..............

Some of the older fans on here may remember one of the first Norwich Fanzines called "Never Mind The Danger".

Well I was the (at least one of!) the editors of that - so NMTD - there you have it.

We called the fanzine NMTD because at the time the club mag was called "On the ball.." so we just used the second line of the club song.

It later times I wished we had called it Criterion Cafe - the place where the Canaries were founded as it would have been a much cooler name.

I also wish the Y''Army boys (& girls if any are involved) all the best - keep it up.

If you''ve read that little tale of our epic European season called "Norfolk ''n Good", you''ll know where my nickname came from - even if you haven''t and you sit in the River End (I refuse to call it Norwich & Peterborough) lower tier in block Q, then you might also have an idea.

my nickname here is ''salp''
i''m very proud that i was given it by a good friend - it goes back 20 years, and stands for
''smart arse little prat'' !!!
see you all tomorrow at the match

I would love to tell everyone the story surrounding my nickname.

But there isn''t one.

A friend of mine called me Mook once, and it stuck. Sorry! Great thread though, keep ''em coming...

I''ve got an idea, based on a girl from school that the lads used to call OZ, but I''m sure the moderators would print it

A tribute to one of the worst players i have had the mispleasure of watching. I hope he doesn''t ram these words back down my throat. Perhaps i should post this after tommorows game!!

I agree Ade, you''re really tempting fate there! And to make it worse, i had a dream last night that we drew two all at the weeked and both Ade AND Rusty scored!!

As for the nickname, a while ago, while the internet revolution was gathering pace, i was seemingly having to register on a new site (no, not that kind of site!) every week. In the interests of my sanity, i wanted to try and keep my user name consistent. But i could never use my real name (Andy) as it was always taken or too short as most sites require at least 6 characters and a combination of letter and number. And i really wasn''t keen on the whole Andy683405 type format!! So, A1 includes a number, is easy to remember, then add canary, for obvious reasons and you have "the number one canary!!" Of course, some of you may have equal or better claim to that title!! If you''re on other sites, like ADVFN.com, you may see me around!

Now, answers please for, "The Fool on the Hill," "King Juan of Spain" and, i''ve just seen, "If i had the wings of a sparrow i''d fly" or something like that!!!!!

p.s Great thread!

Susie b

You werent a fan of the aussie 80s music and like ''Men at Work'' ''Down Under'' by any chance?

Steady on, a1, I feel a return of the ''City Dreams'' thread coming on! The other night I found myself interviewing Robert Huth about his loan move here...HELP! Anyway, I want to know how ZippersLeftFoot got his name, assuming you are a ''he''!!

Sorry Susie, I should have typed "WOULDN''T" and you don''t strike me as that sort of girl.

Suzie b, i''m not sure what sort of "down under" Kathy ws refering to, maybe not the one full of humourless, weak lager drinking, cork-hat wearing chaps and spunky sheilas mate!

Oh and i''m sorry for not having a nickname, boring I know. I was going to call myself something with the word "magnificant" in it since it''s NW''s most overused word, but i though it would sound arrogant.

Getting back to the footy, can''t go tomorrow but hope all that do go cheer on the lads, it''s a very improtant game i feel.

Thanks Gazza...I''m not that sort, as you put it. I''m quite shy, and likely to blush profusely if I meet any of you lot at a posters party in a few weeks!
Perhaps you''re right, Marty, Kathy might have meant something completely different from my interpretation...which was very similar to your''s, hence my original reply. Perhaps we need more information, Kathy!
I would also like to know how Tumbleweed got his name - again assuming you are a ''he''! Where are you lot? We would like an explanation if possible.

Susie b

My very dull explanation is a bit further up the page...

susie b, no offence intended. R U going to give us any clues as to why you were called Oz?

I think the regulars on here know where my nickname comes from but for those of you who don''t know, I was very much involved in the Hucks will he wont he sign thread,which lasted over a couple of months.When everyone seemes to have given up I kept my faith and just knew he would be ours.When I got a text on Boxing Day at 10am to say he was at Carrow Road giving a live interview ,I knew my dreams had all come true and I felt I had died and gone to heaven,decided to come back as an angel,cityangel seemed appropiate.Used to post under my real name up to Xmas but I was envious of all your nicknames and wanted one too,hence the change.
Great thread DD,I just love your posts,keep up the good work

susie, what made you think i was zipper!! i think his explanation is one of the best and the whackiest! almost as whacky as your dreams!! interviewing Robert Huth i tell you!

I did like Men at Work and used to play their first album ''Business as Usual'' a lot in the common room at school, but it wasn''t to do with that. A little clue perhaps. It in some way refers to the one and only time I over-indulged and had the mickey taken forever-and-a-day afterwards. Never again. Give me a J2O anytime- orange and passionfruit, of course! That does make me a cheap night out, but in the right way I suppose!!!
Thanks Zipper for referring me further up the board. I had missed that one, I confess.

I contracted Yellow Jaundice when I was in my youth, and I was pretty cool and really laid back about it......NAH! wot a load of Horlicks!!! I was given the 60s/70s Greatest Hits CD of the hippy "POP" singer Donovan, and one of his infectious tracks is called Mellow Yellow. I''m not really "Mellow"or "Yellow" but "I''m just mad about saffron, saffron''s mad about me!" Just a yellow [NCFC] connection really....and a simple pseudonym for a simple fan...So there you
have it!!!

I have no idea wear my nickname came from coz I am nothing like a mouse, Im very loud(all my friends will tell you this and most of thme are probably deaf now anyway because of me. lol) and I don''t perticulally like cheese, one thing I do have in common with a mouse though is that I don''t really like cats. I too would like to know where ''tumbleweed'' and the such likes got their nicknames from.