Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

NOW will YOU leave Svennson alone?.

I told you, I bloody well told you Svennson would come good!. He and Hucks, and to some extent Leon, ran Burnly ragged today, Matts control, speed of body and mind proved beyond doubt that he must always get the nod over Iwa,.

You doubters, and boo boys, and girls, out there, hang your heads in shame, and cheer loud for him against Wigan. 3 more wins and I believe we''re there, what do you think?.

I second that wizard the lad admited last week he wasnt playing well but he also wasnt getting good service from the midfield ie the game at palace .The new formation worthy has employed one i called for after the palace game has come good.OTBC

Ok Wizard,
I was one of the ones who said he didnt do it for me but I never moaned about him, I always cheered him on, and always clapped him off when he was substituted but I will hang my head in shame because I was having negative thoughts about him and he has proved me wrong today and I''m pleased for him.
Would you believe that I have gone to 5 away games in a row and then decide to have a rest day today and then they go and score 5 goals and my Hucks was sensational and I miss the action.
lol cityangel

Yup, 3 wins and I think that''s it. And yes, it was only a matter of time before Matt started to gel with the team, and the way he affects the game is great news for City. Unfortunately it helps to highlight how anonymous Iwan has become when he''s under-par. Even when Svensson is not playing well he scores (last week) or gets involved in the thick of the action. Iwan has been disappearing far too often for my liking in the past two seasons, and perhaps this is why people still think he''s great - he hasn''t made any glaring errors because he hasn''t got anywhere near the ball! Good that he made a landmark 300 apps though, and in the tougher games we will need him to come from the bench and make a difference. Well done to everyone in the team, the staff and the fans today - but we''ll need more stout defending than today against the more dangerous teams!

with you all the way!! Don''t think he lost a header and showed he can hold the ball up!! give him the support on friday and I''m sure he''ll do it again!!

Good lad sven!

I don''t get to a lot of games because of work commitments, so I''ve not seen a lot of Svennson first hand. If you cut me I bleed yellow and green though, and I never miss Uncle Roys commentary :o)

My brother however is a Barclay lower season ticket holder (for 20 years or something) and he was saying the other day how Svennson reminds him very much of Roberts when he first came to the club.
Both had been out of contention at their previous clubs for some time and were, to put it politely, "not the most athletic looking"
Now you don''t just get razor-sharp again in half a dozen games. He feels (as I do) that Sven will be an ideal replacement for Roberts in due course.

On a slightly different note:
5 goals!! When the hell did we last score 5?
Never mind the danger! :o)

Herb

Spot on herb.

Perhaps we should warn Svennson now that in 5 years time after 300 appearances and nearly 100 goals he will be mercilessly abused and ridiculed by 1stwizard.

The lad has played in the premiership, but has been out of match practise and has joined a new club, yet still certain sections of fans demand hat tricks every week.

Where are the posters who knocked his sarcastic celebration now? Good on you Matt, now keep it up.

Fair play Wiz he had a good game yesterday. I was one of the people who would have preferred Roberts. However, that''s ONE game. If he puts in performances like that week in week out, I''ll take back my comments

Fair play DD: I''ll be keeping my beady little eyes out for your usual excellent posts.

City Angel: So you''re the jinx. Please don''t go to anymore away games this season!. Only kidding CA.

At Last: Fickkle to the end mate, that''s me.

It''s great to see Svennson scoring again.

I must admit that when he replaced Iwan a few weeks back I thought he wasn''t contributing as much as he should. Especially as I had argued that Matt should be given a chance in the team ahead of the ageing Roberts. It has seemed he wasn''t rewarding our faith in him.

But with 3 goals in 2 games he''s sorting his act out, and getting closer to being the striker we want him to be. Keep those goals coming Matt, you can do it!

1st Wiz, well said!! I have faith that Worthy has the credentials to pick players who are ready to work at their game and given a fair chance will come good, as Svensson did yesterday, the ball control was excellent, never mind the holding up play that DD seems to find so attractive. As I have said many times on this board, if the mid-field keep in control and contact with the front men, and move with the back four as a unit, holding up play will not as a rule be a necessary feature of our game and then Norwich City will become a force to be reckoned with in the Prem, speed of attack is the game that throws the defences into panic. I like what iv''e seen of Cooper, Quick enough to be useful and links up well. Every one has great respect for Iwan Roberts, after all he is an Old War horse and has to be retired one day. He has been well paid for his services to this club and being overly sentimental about his past can cloud the vision for the future and lead to silly crowd reaction as we have noticed in the recent past few games. The rules are to be fair with the players on the field and lift them over the sticky patches with encouragement. OTBC

I also said that svensson would come good and said that all Svensson needed was time and games. The 4-3-3 has been the diference as well, and playing, and i Quote you 1st Wiz that"cart horse" Mckenzie (someone you didn''t have faith in). The man is brilliant they all are. And players like cooper who can actually cross a ball has helped Svensson. Onwards and upwards. I here their thinking of changing the name of the A146 to the "road to the premiership" OTBC

Stan, if I make bold with your name?, you are dead correct mate re. my comments about McKenzie. It would seem he''s ramming my comments down my throat, so all I can do is grovel and cry ''I''m not worthy''.

Well done for spotting that Stan, you cunning swine!, and well done Leon for making me look a right twit!.

Svensson top performance, but his second goal came from excellent play on the flank by Adam Drury, the type of goal last seen in Green and Yellow when we had wingers, a treat to watch. More of the same but too much of a rarity.

Svens proved what he is capable of on Saturday. Hopefully the same from him on Friday will shut the boo boys and girls up for good. As other posters have pointed out it was a case of regaining fitness, remember too that he has had a leg operation and these things take time to mend properly.
I honestly never thought that we were in danger of dropping points at any stage and the boys did the necessary in the second half. Burnley''s defending was so bad they could benefit from signing George Santos
Svens second goal must make it on to the shortlist for NCFC goal of the season (is there such an award?) with Hucks and Drury''s contribution to it outstanding.
The fans were superb again and the atmosphere after final whistle remnded me of the same scenes at Portaloo in December. I was told to expect a cauldron of an atmosphere but the home fans provided no better than a leaky stew pot.
I may have missed a post on another thread but does anyone else agree that the refereeing was average at best with the vast majority of decisions going in Burnley''s favour. In light of this it was an exceptional second half performance.
By the way, well done to Colin and his lads for keeping up their own special brand of pressure on us
Promotion = 17/04/04

Yes! Svensson has come good, as we thought he would. Another quality he has is that he is not big headed, and has the gift of being self critical, realising that he had the need to perform better, and he did, and how. Would''nt it be nice if the likes of Mulryne, and two others who have often been mentioned on these boards had the timerity to say when they have performed poorly individually and need to get their acts together.
Mulryne is not up to speed and generally lacks effort.
But beware you three, Worthy has his beady eye on you he knows what you are capable of, earn your corn like the rest of our boys.
Nice to see a link man between midfield and two strikers, it worked!
We desperately needed to close the void between the first line of defence and the strikers. Well done the lads for an all action effort.OTBC

No but as John Barnes once rapped "the way to get them is to get round the back" or someting like that, Hucks does it but our wide players rarely do.

And Mark Rivers never.

[quote]I told you, I bloody well told you Svennson would come good!. He and Hucks, and to some extent Leon, ran Burnly ragged today, Matts control, speed of body and mind proved beyond doubt that he must alw...[/quote]

Please Note Date!.

I rest my case, again!. I couldn''t find my thread ''Lay off Svensson'', which was written even earlier!

I knew it, but why you couldn''t spot his credibility is beyond me?.

[quote]Please Note Date!. I rest my case, again!. I couldn''t find my thread ''Lay off Svensson'', which was written even earlier! I knew it, but why you couldn''t spot his credibility is beyond me?.[/quote]

This could be the one:http://new.pinkun.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=63&messageid=3972

[quote]Please Note Date!. I rest my case, again!. I couldn''t find my thread ''Lay off Svensson'', which was written even earlier! I knew it, but why you couldn''t spot his credibility is beyond me?.[/quote]

Wiz mate

I was going to write a whole new reply, until I realised that my one which I wrote back in April summed up my feeling perfectly (except the Roberts bit maybe!)  Sven did have a good game yesterday and took his headers very well.  But if he is the great striker you say he is, why has it taken you until well into December to reserect this thread?  Sven has great ability but only when he starts to put performances like that in week in week out will I think he''s the Prem stiker we need

1st Wizard, you''ve probably got a post from your vast archive to substantiate every view point.

Is this the first time in 8 months you''ve felt that Svensson has meritted a search in the vaults.

I really didn''t think Svensson had a particularly good game yesterday BUThis goals were first class and I don''t care how he plays if he can deliver a winning goal.

The difference in sven was the service - in the right place delivered by a supporting 5 midfield players who could actually pass a ball to make a difference.   The touch in his feet is his strength - he has never been aerially strong but has had to deal with that type of ball because of the poor quality passing.

A repeat performance (from the midfield) is a must though.

OTBC