Sign in to follow this  
blacko

Where have all the songs gone?

Just to take the pressure off for a minute and to give you something else to think about. I thought it would be interesting to remember some of the old songs, both for nostalgic reasons and to add a bit of history for the younger fans.

Songs like Kenny, Kenny Foggo, on the wing, on the wing etc

Or
I was talking to Bill Shankly one day
I said have you heard of the North Bank Highbury
Shanks said no
I don''t think so
But I''ve heard of the the Norwich Barclay.

Doesn''t look as impressive in print as 6000 standing in the Barclay singing it but give it a go.

I am old enough to remember when the first line was ''Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly''. I am sure with a bit of thought this song could be made more contemporary. ?''Ferguson said to Ranieri'' Oops wont be able to sing that one for long either.

Songs have changed quite a bit....I remember when the Barclay was Terrace singing:

In Norwich''s fair city
where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
She push her wheel Barrow from Yarmouth to Carrow
Singing...ooooooooooooo......CITY.

Best in recent years has to be:

I think we''re at Selhurst
there doesn''t seem to be anyone around
I think we''re at Selhurst
The singing of the City is the only sound.
Do do do do do doop.

To the Tune of Tiffany''s "I think we''re alone now" when we play Wimbledon away last season.

lowering the tone slightly, anyone remember ....

He shot
he come
all over Marnier''s bum
Eric Gates, Eric Gates

True Kathy, I was surprised it got through.

Remember singing it myself in the Barclay as a teenager, during the days when I had hair and a perm. LOL. The 70''s and 80''s have a lot to answer for !!!

This is one for the museum. To the tune of that Faces song "Sha La La La Lee", I remember "Dial dial dial dial Laurie Brown, Dial dial dial dial Laurie Brown.."
Can''t have heard that one for thirty five years. Yikes. And again yikes.

Coming a little more up to date, back to the days when Ipswich used to beat us quite a lot, there was the old standby "Mariner''s a W****r". I think he enjoyed hearing it because once at Portman Road I remember him doing a manual simulation of the act for the benefit of the City fans. These days there would probably be howls of outrage and calls for an apology, but back then we just laughed. More innocent times perhaps.

[quote]Songs have changed quite a bit....I remember when the Barclay was Terrace singing: In Norwich''s fair city where the girls are so pretty I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone She push her wheel B...[/quote]

I remember the line as:

"As she wheeled her wheelbarrow down King Street and Carrow,
Crying (clap) (clap) (clap clap clap) (clap clap clap clap) NORWICH !"

Long ago and far away....

[quote]Just to take the pressure off for a minute and to give you something else to think about. I thought it would be interesting to remember some of the old songs, both for nostalgic reasons and to add a b...[/quote]

Just to resurrect this one again.

Loads of chants both old and new on this site.

http://www.footballchants.org/index.htm?http://www.footballchants.org/viewChants.php?divs=D1&teams=36