Sign in to follow this  
Northern Yella

This Division

I went and saw Leeds play Palace last week at Elland Road with my house mate who is a Leeds fan and I have to say I wasn''t overly impressed. Leeds had very little creativity in the final third and just didn''t have the players to break Palace down. As for Palace they defended well, looked solid and very sharp on the break.

So why are Norwich not up there with Leeds and Palace? Well it seems to me Leed''s season has been built upon a very good solid unit that is difficult to beat and very difficult to score against, the same can hardly be said about our defence and midfield! As for Palace on their day they are one of the best teams in the division, and they also have a far better home record than we do. Against Leeds they were solid at the back, and very quick and creative on the break.

We still are not far off being a good team, but we are so poor in central midfield that we leak so many goals, and fail to control and stamp our authority on games. This needs to be addressed if we have any hope of sorting ourselves out next season. 

The standard of this division is gettin wosre, probably due to the widening difference in income levels between it and the premiership. That is why, unless you buy tpremiership quality players (West Ham and wigan) you will struggle to survive in the prem (norwich, palace, sunderland, wba). It is clear that the most of the top sides in the championship only have a handful of players who could hold there own in the prem. At Norwic h there would be, Green, drury, shackall, perhaps safri, earnshaw and perhaps hucks but at 32 might struggle.

This season reading have been by far the best team, but the only team who have looked good at Norwich has been Preston. Watford were all right, sheff utd just hoofed it, in fact ipswich were one of the best.  The quality is awful. Teams like brighton, stoke, etc are teams worse than i have seen in thev league for years.

And let''s be very very grateful this is such a poor Division. A few seasons ago, if we had played the way we have played this year, I really do believe we would be in a relegation fight. Of particular concern is the fact that we have still failed to beat several teams who, quite frankly, are of the poorest standard I have seen at this level when City have been in this Division in the last 40 years. There really have been some shocking teams down here this year and yes you can count the teams who at the end of the game I thought were good on the fingers of one hand. It really brings home how far we have regressed.