Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

time for a new independent supporters association

Whatever ones views are regarding Worthington the recent days have made it clear that the NCISA have become far to close to the board of the club, too many free meals, have removed their stomach to truly represent fans feelings, too many crumbs from the top table have left them toothless in the face of a board that pats them on their collective heads while saying ''there there good faithfull dog we''re listening''.

I''ve never liked or trusted Roy Blower...and man who is clearly closer to the board than the fans he claims to represents....Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does anyone feel it is time for a new truely independent supporters club for both now and the future?

You go right ahead. But I warn you you wont get any free meals, end of season parties and you will need a very thick skin as despite you working very hard unpaid for hours trying to keep everyone happy , you will be bombarded with ill informed, bigotted criticisms from faceless people who have never met you, while the other supporters groups sit by on the fence doing nothing and coming out smelling of roses. I wish you luck.

Well said, Kathy. Keep up the good work, and ignore any unjustified, ill-conceived criticism. Every now and then somebody surfaces to sling some muck at Roy Blower, and I can never understand why. I have only spoken to him once, but I can only say that I found him to be a perfect gentleman.

http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/CapitalCanaries.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=CapitalCanaries&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=CapitalCanaries&itemid=NOED18%20Mar%202006%2016%3A10%3A28%3A883Protestors should just support team

MICHAEL GARRARD, CAPITAL CANARIES

Before commenting on the recent demonstrations at Carrow Road, perhaps it would be helpful to provide some personal background information to demonstrate my level of support for our beloved Canaries through good times and through bad.I was born in Norfolk almost 76 years ago. My father, who had followed the club from its inception, via Newmarket Road and the Nest, brought me to Carrow Road in 1938 and I shall shortly celebrate 68 years of encouraging the boys in yellow and green.My removal to London in the 1960s did not reduce the level of my support. Thirty one years ago, Bob (Greg) Peck and I were working hard to form the Norwich City London Supporters Club, later known as the Capital Canaries. We ploughed up and down the corridors of the trains speaking to anyone with the merest suggestion of yellow and green about their clothing. The London club since then has prospered mightily due to the devotion of its members.Robert Chase was a businessman who made some good decisions for Norwich City FC but unfortunately, in my view, had a mote in his eye when it came to dealing with the extremely talented Martin O''Neill. His actions in that direction I think put the club into reverse gear. So in this case demonstrations to change the administration were justified.Today the Canaries have one of the best directorates in Football. Stand up everyone now who would exchange them for those at say Aston Villa, Sunderland, Southampton, Newcastle et al. The recent demonstrators outside Carrow Road have been misguided. Are these not the same people who joined us at the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff?Are these not the same people who applauded promotion to the Premiership? We have been in a trough of very bad results for some time so they have been demanding the manager''s head. They have in fact been telling us in no uncertain terms that they are there for the good times but not for the tough times!I would say to them what the late great President Harry S Truman said to that ilk in his day, “If you can''t stand the heat, get out of the Kitchen”.I would suggest that there are plenty of loyal people waiting to take up their season tickets should they feel unable to support the Canaries in adversity.I would ask do they bleed more copiously than the silent majority? Does the silent majority feel any less strongly than they do?I sat in the bitter cold at Selhurst Park and beheld the dismal Canaries display, and I was gutted but at least I talked to people and overwhelmingly they remain loyal to the club and wanted no shouting from the rooftops, and here is the true point they spoke of - “Trusting the administration to act at the appropriate time as necessary”.Now is not the appropriate time - that will be very early next season should things not improve - the silent majority know that, the board know that, the manager knows that and the players know that.So why has the Norwich City Independent Supporters Association gone to the length it has in this matter, misjudging the situation entirely, thereby requiring a statement from the principal shareholders and a further meeting to bring peace when it was not necessary to break the peace in the first place?This I find in strange contrast to their previously declared support for the board and demonstrates in my eyes what little confidence they have in it in difficult situations.The whole matter should now be dropped, not just for a match or two, but completely, and those who have been wasting precious energy bawling their heads off in the street get back to supporting the club NOW enabling the Canaries family to take another step forward together.

Totally agree Percy,

Roy has worked tirelessly for decades now in the pursuit of the interests of the club and the fans. NCISA have proved recently (surely) that they are not in bed with the club and can put forward the views of those fans who are genuinely disheartened with the performances under Worthy for the last 2 seasons now, with passion, sincerity and objectivity.

The only ''criticism'' I would make of NCISA is that the public face is always that of Roy Blower and there is a feeling amongst some fans that he is a ''yesterdays man''. Perhaps the committee would consider putting forward others (in addition to Roy) who can champion the fans cause?  

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Totally agree Percy,

Roy has worked tirelessly for decades now in the pursuit of the interests of the club and the fans. NCISA have proved recently (surely) that they are not in bed with the club and can put forward the views of those fans who are genuinely disheartened with the performances under Worthy for the last 2 seasons now, with passion, sincerity and objectivity.

The only ''criticism'' I would make of NCISA is that the public face is always that of Roy Blower and there is a feeling amongst some fans that he is a ''yesterdays man''. Perhaps the committee would consider putting forward others (in addition to Roy) who can champion the fans cause?  

[/quote]

Thank you YR and Percy for your support and constructive criticisms. We are aware of the fact that Roy tends to be the public face of NCISA and overshadows others, but quite frankly that is in my humble opinion because he is the best man for the job. Roy has an in depth knowledge of all things Norwich City and in the public arena can answer just about any question on any issue. If you were at the public meeting you will have heard him with no prompting beforehand be able to answer the bloke who asked about the implications of the hotel project. There is no way I could have done that without reading up first. The other committee members are well versed in different areas but I am sure they would not object to me saying when it comes to an overall knowledge of Norwich City they cannot compete with Roy. I, for example, can name you the side that won at Old Trafford in the cup in 1965 but ask me about Preference ''B'' shares and I turn into a blubbering blonde.

I think because Roy is older, younger supporters have trouble identifying with him, but I have known him a lot of years and can assure fans that he neither ducks confrontations or wants to get into bed with the Carrow Road board. The only area where he is sadly lacking, and he will be the first to admit this, is using a PC and consequently does not live in the world of emails and message boards. This means it falls upon others from the association, on this occasion me, to defend him in the face of what we perceive is unfair criticism.

SC - simple answer no, as for the why well there''s a few reasons:

firstly there''s Roy Blower, public face of the NCISA, having heard him speak a few times a simply can''t relate to him or his beliefs maybe that''s a generation thing, but I''ve never really liked the way in the post chase era that he emerged as a spokesman for all fans including myself, its kind of the way that I may be put of joining a political party by the quality of their leader. Ultimately I dont like someone claiming to represent my views without real mandate (and I dont count being elected by other members of the ncisa a true mandate of all supporters).

secondly there''s the question of closeness to the club, both board and players, I believe (that although a very worthwhile exercise) the forums have left them too close to the players, and their ongoing relationship with the club as a communication channel have left them too close to the board. I''ll justify that, despite expressing a desire for change to the management team, they continue to sponsor Doug (referred to as Dougie!!! on their website) Livermore, does the NCISA really know where it stands. I believe the goals of the NCISA including the charity side of things are worthwhile but that has made them the wrong people during difficult times to be the voice of opposition. To labour the point on one hand you cant be saying we want worthy out but would he mind coming along to our next forum. To get to the point I feel the NCISA have lost direction and should stick to what it does well, forums, comms and fund raising and leave the protests etc alone at least until they can do so consistently with one voice and without changing their mind twice a week.

thirdly there''s the issue of how quickly they gave up the fight following a couple of decent results and a chat with the board....if they want this dross to continue fine thats their opinion (although todays statement, contradicting that made just a few days ago shows yet again they really dont seem to know where they stand or what they should be doing), but to do that and claim to be representative of fans feelings was very poor and shortsighted, I''ve spoken to few fellow season ticket holders (all in our 30''s) over a pint recently and many (not all to be fair) feel that what started out as anti-worthy feeling will continue to spread to both the board and the ncisa, the longer this situation continues.

what worries me most is that if the ncisa as the main fans organisation fails to lead on the call to change and resigns itself to impotence then those who want change will become more desperate and more extreme in their actions (not that I would agree with this)...we''ve already seen 1 call for a pitch invasion...how desperate will supporters get if they feel their is no organsied voice to represent them.

Coney. Thank you for your suggestion. I have discussed it with the treasurer and we both feel it would be hypocritical of NCISA to both sponsor a member of the coaching team and call for their removal at the same time, so discontinuing the sponsorship deal may be an option. Obviously this sort of thing has to go to committee but I think this is one way we could make our feelings known to the club.

Kathy,

I think you''re wrong in saying that its just the younger supporters who have trouble identifying with Roy, my friends and I are over 40 and we have trouble identifying with him too.

Its nothing personal but he just doesn''t come over as being a dynamic leader for your group. I think he''s seen more ''like a friend of the Theatre Royal'' (you know what I mean, give them lots of support and some of your money and they will look afer you with little treats, favours now and again.

As for PC skills, if I can master the world of emails and message boards then anyone can [:D]

cityangel