Jump to content
cambridgeshire canary

Talks have been held about Wagners future

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....thats the shirt sponsor currently being worn by / good enough for a club like Aston Villa

...whilst a small section of our fanbase cost the club £3.5m in lost revenue

You can't put a price on virtue GJL😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ricardo said:

If it makes you feel better then knock yourself out. Then when Wagners gone and things get better you can claim you made it happen.

If changing a manager made no difference, nobody would ever do it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm imagining you, warm glow of the computer monitor upon your face, wearing a stetson for some reason, loving these posts imagining what nutty and S_81 look like imagining each other. 

 

Yeehaw !! …….ride em cowboy. On second thoughts stetson’s are more Lakey’s titfer of choice.

I know Nutty well. I’m sure he won’t mind me saying there’s a bit of George Clooney there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ricardo said:

If you dont  like periods of suffering then you won't  like being a City supporter. It happens a regular intervals and they can be short or long and I am living proof that they are survivable. Mind you, I still haven't got over selling Ron Davies for 50k.

£55K. Mind you, we paid £35K for him so that probably equates to a few million in today's money. Denis Law cost £115K at that time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

This isn't nice for Wagner either, is it? I know he's failed badly but he's always given 100% and at least did his best to try to mend the relationship between the fans and the club that was destroyed by Webber's and Dean Smith's disdain. 

And his reward for that is being left as a dead duck manager, just waiting for the guillotine to drop, and taking most of the flak from the fans, flak which should largely be aimed at Webber, the Board, and the owners.

I'm ashamed of my club. I know that sounds kind of pompous, but I'm sure lots of other fans must feel exactly the same.

Agree with the last line but I have absolutely no sympathy for that idiot. He doesn't give 100%, most games he sits there or stands with his arms crossed. He has zero tactical nous, makes calamitous substitutions and no motivational skills. 

The forlorn hope is he resigns. He won't though, they never do. He'll milk the club for a million quid odd then bog off back to Germany as though it never happened.

The sad thing is we went from Dean Smith to this. Well done Webber!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I struggle to disagree but then again a lot said the same about Dean Smith and yet here we are.

Just like when people said the same about Worthy. 

Then Grant.

Then Roeder..

And all the way back to Tom Parker.

There is no simple trick that puts everything  right for ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S_81 said:

I understand that, I do. But you need to also understand that fans don’t just exist inside the ground. And some of us will do what we think it takes to make a stand about how unacceptable what’s gone on in recent times is. Even if that cuts our nose off to spite our face 

I disagree, the only ones that matter are those that attend matches

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....thats the shirt sponsor currently being worn by / good enough for a club like Aston Villa

...whilst a small section of our fanbase cost the club £3.5m in lost revenue

My point wasn’t that the influence in that situation was right or wrong, simply that it existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If changing a manager made no difference, nobody would ever do it...

But everyone does it all the time and yet everyone goes through the same cycle of success and failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Club really missing a trick here (but then no surprise there). Easiest way to get fans on board with Knapper would have been to make it clear he’s stepped in and acted decisively to remove Wagner. Instead they have undermined him. Schoolboy stuff again. 
 

You do wonder what the “top brass” will have told him and whether it really reflects fan sentiment. That said in my view given what’s big move this is for him he really should have said he wants to start early and got here to sort this mess out. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yeehaw !! …….ride em cowboy. On second thoughts stetson’s are more Lakey’s titfer of choice.

I know Nutty well. I’m sure he won’t mind me saying there’s a bit of George Clooney there.

It's mostly coffee related...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The talks were after the Sunderland game. Knapper, even though he was involved then, is now still three weeks away from becoming the sporting director, during which time there is an international break. A classic time to fire a manager, or at least to sort out whether they will be fired and if so who is the permanent replacement.

That Wagner is going to be in charge this weekend is no evidence that he will be in charge much longer, let alone for your claim that Knapper is keeping him on, and there was nothing in the story to back that up.You just wanted it to be the case so you could moan even louder.

There’s no evidence to suggest he’s going to dismiss him sooner rather than later either. You also just want it to be the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ricardo said:

But everyone does it all the time and yet everyone goes through the same cycle of success and failure.

Maybe...but we've seen fairly stark upturns in fortune only recently,  Steve Cooper taking Forest from the bottom to winning a playoff final, Carrick taking over from Wilder at Boro who were in the bottom 3 and getting to the playoffs

Right now ,we just need someone who can keep us out of the bottom 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, repman said:

I just hope that Knapper being involved in these discussions was him basically being told to get to work on deciding who the next manager should be. No new person would have much of an impact between now and Saturday and with the international break coming up too it would in fact give them a little bit of time to talk to the players. (I still think you could sack Wagner just to try give everyone a bit of a boost).

One of my biggest problems with Webber has been his lack of due process when hiring managers. It feels like every time he has his choice and doesn't shift from that. Smith was a bit different but the moment he became available and was seemingly up for the job it shifted to him. This also is no doubt linked to the board being completely hands off over the past few years.

Heavens be praised! Some calm sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Club really missing a trick here (but then no surprise there). Easiest way to get fans on board with Knapper would have been to make it clear he’s stepped in and acted decisively to remove Wagner. Instead they have undermined him. Schoolboy stuff again. 
 

You do wonder what the “top brass” will have told him and whether it really reflects fan sentiment. That said in my view given what’s big move this is for him he really should have said he wants to start early and got here to sort this mess out. 

That is Exactly what i thought would happen 

he must have a plan for such a big job move ,

in his interview he must of had a vision of how to sort this mess out ,

He could of made such a statement with Wagner has to go , we are heading in a different direction and bingo he would have been fans favorite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Club really missing a trick here (but then no surprise there). Easiest way to get fans on board with Knapper would have been to make it clear he’s stepped in and acted decisively to remove Wagner. Instead they have undermined him. Schoolboy stuff again. 
 

You do wonder what the “top brass” will have told him and whether it really reflects fan sentiment. That said in my view given what’s big move this is for him he really should have said he wants to start early and got here to sort this mess out. 

As previously mentioned....McNally wasted no time in identifying Gunn as out of his depth and swiftly replacing him with Lambert

Thats the immediate impact Knapper 'could' have here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If it makes you feel better then knock yourself out. Then when Wagners gone and things get better you can claim you made it happen.

Not what I meant. I agree that there’s no simple fix to any of this.

Football like most organisations has cycles of success and failure.

I’m simply saying I think how long the success continues and how deep the failures are can probably be influenced, but maybe I’m too optimistic in that belief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, S_81 said:

There’s no evidence to suggest he’s going to dismiss him sooner rather than later either. You also just want it to be the case. 

I didn’t make any claims on if and when Wagner might be sacked, and you have no idea what my private beliefs are on the subject. You are going to need to get better at this if you want to stay in the game.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

As previously mentioned....McNally wasted no time in identifying Gunn as out of his depth and swiftly replacing him with Lambert

Thats the immediate impact Knapper 'could' have here

He could have had it already though but now he’s tainted by this ludicrous decision of the reports are accurate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not what I meant. I agree that there’s no simple fix to any of this.

Football like most organisations has cycles of success and failure.

I’m simply saying I think how long the success continues and how deep the failures are can probably be influenced, but maybe I’m too optimistic in that belief.

No doubt the best option to fix our happiness is to take direct action ourselves. What you see here is expectations on others to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, repman said:

I just hope that Knapper being involved in these discussions was him basically being told to get to work on deciding who the next manager should be. No new person would have much of an impact between now and Saturday and with the international break coming up too it would in fact give them a little bit of time to talk to the players. (I still think you could sack Wagner just to try give everyone a bit of a boost).

One of my biggest problems with Webber has been his lack of due process when hiring managers. It feels like every time he has his choice and doesn't shift from that. Smith was a bit different but the moment he became available and was seemingly up for the job it shifted to him. This also is no doubt linked to the board being completely hands off over the past few years.

Caretaker manager is always an option, although we’ve admittedly had mixed results in that department.

I don’t think Knapper should rush into anything either, but that looked like a manager who’s lost the players, that red card was a lucky respite.

We got dominated at home by a team with a number of key injuries.

If the players aren’t playing for him, given we really are in a dangerous free fall, I’m not sure what persisting with him achieves short term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not what I meant. I agree that there’s no simple fix to any of this.

Football like most organisations has cycles of success and failure.

I’m simply saying I think how long the success continues and how deep the failures are can probably be influenced, but maybe I’m too optimistic in that belief.

Sometimes it works Sometimes it doesn't. Personally I think Wagner has run out of time and that's why I booed at halftime.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No doubt the best option to fix our happiness is to take direct action ourselves. What you see here is expectations on others to do it.

Not from me Nutty. I’ve got my own opinions on things but I was pretty clear I don’t go to enough games to have any right to tell those that do how to act. I simply said I hope they don’t feel like their voice doesn’t matter because that’s a sad position for our most committed supporters to be in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would take this press release with a pinch of salt. The downturn since the early form would have left even the top brass in confusion. Things will be constantly discussed over the next few days with the board. Today's news may well be very different to tomorrows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Caretaker manager is always an option, although we’ve admittedly had mixed results in that department.

I don’t think Knapper should rush into anything either, but that looked like a manager who’s lost the players, that red card was a lucky respite.

We got dominated at home by a team with a number of key injuries.

If the players aren’t playing for him, given we really are in a dangerous free fall, I’m not sure what persisting with him achieves short term.

I think the sight of Alan Russell standing on the touchline last season ,hands in pockets , more interested in what he looked like on camera, than making any substitutions whatsover whilst watching us losing 1-0 at home to Watford during 10 mins of stoppage time has put me off that concept for good

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only hope we have is that Knapper has refused to go the caretaker manager route and needs more time to select the new HC and coaching team. So, we could get a new permanent HC in the same timescales ish.

It will be curtains for the coaching team as well, so that's Buhler, Pelach, Hughes and others all gone as part of the process. Good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think the sight of Alan Russell standing on the touchline last season ,hands in pockets , more interested in what he looked like on camera, than making any substitutions whatsover whilst watching us losing 1-0 at home to Watford during 10 mins of stoppage time has put me off that concept for good

Yea he was terrible, but one bad decision shouldn’t remove the option IMO. There’s probably more than one good temporary option available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

As previously mentioned....McNally wasted no time in identifying Gunn as out of his depth and swiftly replacing him with Lambert

Thats the immediate impact Knapper 'could' have here

It probably is, but we're still on that journey with Wagner to lose 7-1 🤣

It might not be far off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I didn’t make any claims on if and when Wagner might be sacked, and you have no idea what my private beliefs are on the subject. You are going to need to get better at this if you want to stay in the game.

It’s not a private belief forum. State your opinion on it. When’s he gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Club really missing a trick here (but then no surprise there). Easiest way to get fans on board with Knapper would have been to make it clear he’s stepped in and acted decisively to remove Wagner. Instead they have undermined him. Schoolboy stuff again. 
 

You do wonder what the “top brass” will have told him and whether it really reflects fan sentiment. That said in my view given what’s big move this is for him he really should have said he wants to start early and got here to sort this mess out. 

I imagine when Knapper took the job he didn’t envisage having to sack Wagner as his first task. Knapper is no McNally. Sacking Wagner and finding a replacement with no previous experience of appointing a head coach is going to be a massive ask for Knapper so soon.

The club needed another McNally. But Mrs Webber would not sign that off, as she knows she’d be out. Knapper will fall in line to Zoe and Delia and will not bring the required amount of change required, IMO.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...