Sign in to follow this  
Sit Down, Shut Up!

Have You Met Any Players, Past or Present?

I was at a football in the community thing at Dereham last year, went to the loo at the break, and in walks Doug Livermore and says "hello mate". You just cant go then can you!

At the pre season game at Peterborough, I am in the main stand with a POSH supporting friend, next to the directors box. Delia and Michael spot my NCFC badge on my T shirt, say hello and wave, it was wonderful, like being blessed by the pope. Where would we be without them?

Ive met the whole current squad as i was mascot for the west ham game :)
i also met the old players who where there, martin peters etc.
ive also met darren eadie, bellemy and that lot b4, i also met most the directers but there where having lunch at the time. All the players were nice, specialy svensson, Huckerby, Mckenzie and Henderson! (despite being on the bench that day hendo). Most of all, i met nigel, very very very happy bloke!

Whilst shopping in Norwich a couple of weeks back, I was at the checkout of the JJB Sports store on Riverside. It was quite quiet in there and as I was leaving I happened to notice a bloke approaching the counter with an arm full of clothes sporting a Darren Huckerby haircut. I thought nothing of it until I looked again and realised it was the man himself, Sir Darren Huckerby! I wanted to say hello but was far, far too star struck to say anything. He must have thought I was a bit weird as I just stared and smiled! Does this count???

I once shared a cell with Peter Mendham, top man always let me slop out first and let me have the top bunk!....Best 6 months of my life.

As a school boy I used to have a paper round and delivered to Graham Paddon, I introduced myself to him, after that he always said ''hello'' and I even got a Christmas card from him !

[quote user="Kathy "]Used to play in the same darts team as Colin Suggett and Peter Morris. They were crap at darts. Other pubs used to like playing us because we brought them along.[/quote]

Thought I introduced you to Grant Holt and took a photo ?

In September this I played golf  for Mundesley against the Norwich City Allstars golf team that included Terry Allcock, Bill Punton, Dave Stringer & Clive Payne.All were fit & well & in fine form & I was up against Clive & his partner. I lost (4 & 3), mainly due to the fact that my partner didn''t turn up.In my younger days, during the 1970''s, I attended a course of evening football training sessions at Acle Secondary School that were run by Dave Stringer.

In September this year I played golf  for Mundesley against the Norwich City Allstars golf team that included Terry Allcock, Bill Punton, Dave Stringer & Clive Payne.All were fit & well & in fine form & I was up against Clive & his partner. I lost (4 & 3), mainly due to the fact that my partner didn''t turn up.In my younger days, during the 1970''s, I attended a course of evening football training sessions at Acle Secondary School that were run by Dave Stringer.

Am forever bumping into players on nights out in Norwich, I rarely talk to them as I would consider it a bit rude. Last year found myself in a bar with pretty much every one of my Norwich City heroes. Dion Dublin, Darren Eadie, Huckerby, Iwan Roberts, and I think Dean Ashton was there. Bit overwhelming.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Kathy "]Used to play in the same darts team as Colin Suggett and Peter Morris. They were crap at darts. Other pubs used to like playing us because we brought them along.[/quote]

Thought I introduced you to Grant Holt and took a photo ?[/quote]

Look at the date of the thread Tilly, it was over ten years ago. A little bit before Grant Holt''s time. [:D]

I’ve met a few of the players over the years. The ones I have met I’ve always found them approachable and decent to chat to.

Highlights were being on the Scrimmage with Dean Ashton who seemed quite shy to me. When Darren Huckerby came down to London to promote his book I hosted the Q&A which was great fun. Although he had to get back he kept on asking for more questions and didn’t’ mind staying on late for us.

On another occasion, also after a Radio Norfolk show Hucks gave me and a pal a lift back to Norwich station from near the Forum. When we arrived back to his car he found a parking ticket on his window and was not happy!

Still can''t believe the OP happened to see Bryan Gunn sitting at a table.

Wish I was there.

I met Craig Bellamy on holiday in Portugal a month after we lost the play off final. He could not have been more complimentary about Norwich, absolutely enthused about us. He was also really down to earth too.

Met them all when I was mascot in 1995! I remember Darren Eadie, Bryan Gunn and Ade Akinbyi standing out as the nicest of them. Eadie let me have his copy of the programme after I lost my own one, Akinbyi and me chatted for a bit when the rest of the team (the ones starting that day) were having their pre match talk (probably O''Neil telling them he was off!) and I warmed up with Bryan Gunn. Andy Marshall swung over some crosses for me to challenge in the air against Gunny. Worryingly, an 8 year old me actually managed to score a couple!

The fashanu brothers used to live round the corner from me, my dad played against him many times, also this year sat on the train with iwan Roberts? Really top guy? Spoke fondly of Norwich, he now lives in where the old hospital use to be, , lambert also lived there, iwan was drinking becks on the train ready to go to soho for a night out, then commentating the next day for bbc Wales Swansea v hammmers, he said brian mcgovern is a taxi driver in ireland, plentu of other stories but dont want to bore you??

I''ve never met any players to be honest but I speak to Delia and MWJ now and again during my visits as their electrician,they are always keen to chat about football.

David Cross and Jimmy Bone came down to the Royal Links Pavillion one Saturday night, took one look at us hairy yoofs milling about outside and immediately jumped back into their car and headed back in the direction of Norwich.

-------

A few weeks back went for a haircut in Wymondham and Mr. D. Huckerby and two sons were in the line before me. Mr. H. had his hair cut first and then his lads had theirs cut in the same eclectic style.

When it was my turn and the barber asked how I wanted my hair cut I pointed at DH''s barnet and said, anything but like that thank you very much.

Chris Woods,  Deehan,  Hux, WLYP McVeigh, Phil Chapple, Phil Hoadley, Martin Peters & Noel Kinsey is about my limit

Met both Rob Newman and Peter Silvester when I was in Police and had to take statements from them both. Both absolute gents, Peter Silvester was working for an insurance company and invited me for a ''matchday meal'' etc as a thank you. I think we drew with Liverpool but it was many years ago!!!

I met Delia when she sat with the fans at an away game against Watford - might have been when we clinched promotion - she is an absolute gem, knows as much about football as most people and was happy to talk to everybody.

As an aside I met David Beckham at Madrid airport and always thought he was a real ''p***k'' but I couldn''t have been more wrong, he was a real gentleman and made a lot of peoples day by happily posing for photos and signing autographs. A real top quality person!!!

Lived next door to Jon Newsome when he first moved to our fine City. Imagine the shock on the face when he walks past your front window walking his dog.

Complete down to earth charming bloke, became great friends and still talk now. Carl Bradshaw was a further two doors away, they were fun together....

Gunny officially opened PC World store for me in 1996.

Spent a great evening in the company of Mr Ken Brown and his lovely wife in June here in Dubai, happy to talk football all evening over a few beers and a nice steak, which was just as well for him as the questions rained down....

[quote user="thedarkside"]

Met both Rob Newman and Peter Silvester when I was in Police and had to take statements from them both. Both absolute gents, Peter Silvester was working for an insurance company and invited me for a ''matchday meal'' etc as a thank you. I think we drew with Liverpool but it was many years ago!!!

I met Delia when she sat with the fans at an away game against Watford - might have been when we clinched promotion - she is an absolute gem, knows as much about football as most people and was happy to talk to everybody.

As an aside I met David Beckham at Madrid airport and always thought he was a real ''p***k'' but I couldn''t have been more wrong, he was a real gentleman and made a lot of peoples day by happily posing for photos and signing autographs. A real top quality person!!!

[/quote]I have met Delia a couple of times and I can confirm she is absolutely lovely, which is why it annoys me when idiots have a pop at her on here.

Dean Ashton , Matt Svensson, Matt Jonson , Thomas Helveg , Gary Docherty , Jim Brennan, Paul Mc Veigh, Phil Mulryne, Leon Mc Kenzie, while I lived at Whittlingham Hall , Shaun Elliot , through the motor trade , Darren Eadie in Lind BMW, Darren Huckerby ditto , and at Thorpe station . Grant Holt , in Waitrose. Craig Fleming at a mates party , they are good friends , John Fashnau , was good friends with my brother , who introduced him to , and translated for his Spanish girlfriend who became his wife !

I think living around Norwich and Wymondham for most of the last 30 years has meant frequent encounters 😀

I met Phil Mulryne, Iwan Roberts, Paul McVeigh & a few others in Delaney''s. The current manager I was working for at the time was Irish so we spent a lot of time in there after work and all of our staff parties subsequently were there also. Often saw players in there but never really found the courage to go & talk to them, until my drunk manager befriended them & I was introduced on a night out. Shook Phil Mulryne''s hand had a quick chat but then got a bit star struck so I made a quick exit back to the safety of the group I was with. :)

Whilst working at HMV I served quite a few players, Paul McVeigh, Leon McKenzie, Peter Crouch, Craig Fleming & Darren Huckerby. I got Huckerby to sign a copy of Championship Manager 4 for me, which I still have today. :)

Brian McGovern also came into HMV & bought a games console, but was a bit of a twat and shouted at one of the staff because she didn''t know about the console bundle he was buying.

Also met Malky Mackay & Craig Fleming in a pub, think it was the Hog in Armour, they were playing darts.

I saw Mattias Jonson & Thomas Helveg wandering around the city centre during the day, but didn''t get a chance to say hi to them.

The wife dragged me to a Beverley Knight gig at the UEA a few years back and who should I be standing next to but Dion Dublin! He''d scored for us v Blackpool away the night before so I congratulated him and shook his hand and had a very brief chat. He started to get more and more attention but was an absolute gent to the last. During his time with us I thought he was fantastic and this confirmed to me what an awesome chap he was.

This was years ago and my wife still rips it out of me about how I appeared like a giddy schoolgirl in his presence.

He was there with Jamie Cureton, although no seemed so bothered by him...

I have a photograph of me as a child getting an autograph from Peter Mendham. I think it was taken about 1985, so can''t really remember what we talked about.

Met Trevor Putney in a Indian take away. Would have been early 80''s at a guess. Friendly guy and we had a laugh. He suggested I buy him a beer as we''d won earlier that day. Was tongue in cheek I think.

Also had to give Wayne Biggins a quote for some work he needed doing. Nice guy too. Didn''t get the work though!

I met Chris Woods and Dave Watson at Trowse once when they presented be with 1st prize in a competition I entered as a 12 year old.

I won a signed football and my mum has still got a copy of the EDP photo on her sideboard.

I have also played cards in the Murderers with Shaun Carey & Jamie Cureton. 7 & 9 card brag usually - just for fun of course.

I used to drink in there a lot in the 90s and spent an hour or so at the top bar with Craig Bellamy one Saturday night. He was on his own that night and I''m pretty sure he was stood up.

At about the same time Keith O''Neill came into the bank I worked in to conduct some finance or other. The only thing I remember about the visit is he had to get the friend who was with him to help him write a cheque.