Sign in to follow this  
Sit Down, Shut Up!

Have You Met Any Players, Past or Present?

Have you ever had the pleasure to meet any Norwich City players, Past or Present, away from a game or CR, and if you did what did you ask them?

I met Bryan Gunn in The Feathers in Holt. He was sitting down at a table and i couldnt believe my eyes.

Met Mullers a few times, mainly in pizza parlours and kebab houses in the city. Also stayed in the same hotel as frankie lampard in dominican republic. Spent a rainy afternoon having a few drinks and playing table tennis with him. He''s very good and beat me 7-4. Top bloke Frank is.

went to the Samson and Hercules and met Peter Menham...no more details

Used to play in the same darts team as Colin Suggett and Peter Morris. They were crap at darts. Other pubs used to like playing us because we brought them along.

Met most of them in various nightspots around the city - Green, Iwan, Mulryne, Pocket and Huckerby on several occasions.

See them around the city a lot but don''t really want to annoy them - alcohol removes that barrier.

Spoke to Svensson at a bus stop a month ago - very friendly.

i''ve had a picture with craig bellamy. it was at this football in the community day and a lot of the players were there.

Several years ago while I worked part time at a DIY store in Gt.Yarmouth I served Dale Gordon, then one of our star players. I cut him some lino for his kitchen floor and helped him look for some ''Decra Lead'' for his windows. He came across as rather aloof and all attempts at humour on my behalf were wasted.

A couple of years ago I played in a charity game. Robert Fleck was in my team and after the game a naked Flecky asked me if he could borrow my shower gel. Ironically enough Dale Gordon was in the opposing team. Didn''t ask him if the lino fitted OK though ! Have to say time doesn''t seem to have mellowed him at all !

Saw the Fashanu brothers at Paddington station several years ago. I met them waaaaaaaay back in the early 80s (Div 2) when the club used to run the video of the match on the Sunday after the match and the players came along as well. Got loads of autographs then. Amusing that the sound was always recorded on a separate system and never ran in synch with the pictures. I digress. Anyway, the two Fashes were genuinely nice, pleasant, polite to everyone there both children and adults (I was about 8) and even when I saw them at Paddington I stopped and stared for a mo or two and they both smiled, waved and said hello. I''ve no doubt that they didn''t remember me (a few inches upwards and outwards!) but no pretentiousness about them. Unless you believe the stories!

I''ve met Keith O''Neill in Ricks Place.

I live in the same village as Neil Adams too, but can''t work out where he is - but have seen him in the Chinese a couple of times.

Also, when I worked in the Otter in Thorpe Marriott Andy Marshall was a regular customer - actually bought me a few pints, even when I wasn''t working...

Read Peter Raven''s post MPR

Used to work in a hotel in norfolk where many of the away teams stayed and several city players stayed while they were on loan or looking for a house. Took chamagne to David Neilson when we made the play offs two years ago! He was a farily nice guy. Rivers was a resident for a while, not as nice! ipswich stayed a few years back and the fire alarm went @ 3am the night b4 a derby! Burley was not a happy man, kept going on about a conspiracy against them!

I met the team that won the Milk Cup and the old Second Division the following year.

It was at the celebratory reception at the City Hall, and because my father was a city counciller I got to go inside, while all the city fans waited outside in the street to see the trophies held aloft. Chris Woods was the friendliest player by a mile. I was nine years old at the time, and had already got most of the players autographs when I went to ask Woods for his. He insisted on taking me to meet every single one of the players again, getting them to shake my hand and have a chat. I was too shy to put him straight, so I now have most their autographs twice!

I met Peter Mendham in the concourse at the Millenium Stadium before kick off - top bloke! Also met Ian Crook and Ian Culverhouse (briefly), and get this, Shaun Carey!

Spent a pleasant evening in Yates'' with Pitshou Ngopwani, Lee Marshall & Darel Russell - all top blokes, even bought the beers!

I had the honour of playing a few tennis matches for my club with Peter Silvester a few years back. He was (and probably still is) a more than useful player and a perfect gentleman on court. In one match he didn''t like the way the opposing male was targeting every part of my body when trying to kill the ball, and he marched to the net and told him so in no uncertain terms! Who says chivalry is dead?

In 1979 (I think it was) Dave Rob lived across the road from me in Hellesdon. (He only made 3 or 4 first team appearances in one season after coming here from Aberdeen). His son and my daughter went to Heather Avenue Infants school together, and his wife and mine were quite friendly. He used to give me his two complimentary tickets in the old main stand for every home game. Top man! When we went to the Heather Avenue school disco with him and his wife, the headmistress actually chucked some other people off chairs to allow him (and us) to sit down! The benefits of reflected glory!!

Also see and chat to Peter Mendham in the garage at Drayton from time to time. He''s great, always willing to talk.

Met Iwan a couple of times while out of an evening when I still lived in the Fine City

Last time was in Norwegian Blue on Riverside when he spared a couple of minutes (even though he was out with friends) to chat about the club and football. The bloke is a gent and I respect him massively for giving up just a short period of his free time to speak to someone he didn''t know in depth about his livelihood in good humour, it says a lot about his character and meant a lot to me. It would be a huge loss to club and the area if he was allowed to leave at the end of the season.

A friend of mine once introduced his old school mate, Adrian Coote to me at a non football meeting one night. Anyway, we seemed to get on really well, so well in fact that I''ve still got the signed squad shirts he would get for me. A really nice, if somewhat shy guy, so I was gutted when Adie told me he was leaving City one night. I always thought he''d do well at the club, and yes, that is a true story.

I snucked into the players lounge at Wimbledon a long time ago.
I knew a marshall at Plough Lane. Anway I stuck at like a sore thumb
with my Norwich scarf on though I met some of the team -
Ian Crook, Dave Philips, Robert Fleck, Bryan Gunn, etc...All friendly.

Also as a wedding present from my wife she bought me a tour of the ground
last season and I met and shook hands with Bryan Gunn, Terry Alcock, Delia Smith
and all of the Directors. All were very pleasant and friendly.

I''ve only seen current players is passing. I respected their privacy and
didn''t chat.

I had my photo taken with Daryl Sutch at a football in the community day. He was my favourite player at the time! Meet Malky in Debenhams a couple of Christmas''s ago!

I used to know Alan Black and Duncan Forbes really well...they even used to come to my parties...and through them I met Graham Paddon, Peter Silvester and David Cross. Blackie and Duncan were tremendous guys to be with, very "laddish" years before laddish became fashionable :-0]

When I was bout 10 me and my brother had a long conversation with darren eadie and pratically kisssed his ar*e.

A few years later I was playin footy 4 my local side and the opposition manager was ''disco'' dale gordon and he was such a good spotter of talent he give me man of the match!!!