Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

Although we're gutless and lacklustre etc most worrying of all is the total lack of quality, it's just frightening.

The lack of basic technical ability i.e to control the ball, to pass/cross the ball, to have some vague awareness of where you need to be on the pitch with or without possession - is scary.

We are absolutely appalling.  Why anyone thinks it will be different next season I don''t know.  We will need a sea change in personnel, both playing and non-playing staff,  if we are to compete next year.

Performances such as Fridays are just unacceptable

I understand what you are saying Balham but the most worrying thing for me is that this does not appear to be a team that is "growing".  There are no new young players that are being "blooded" so to speak.  I could handle this inconsistent season if I was watching a few youngsters and I could believe that they will get better and this is just the experience they need to be a success next year.  That simply is not happening though.

Players like Robinson and Hughes are at an age where they have probably reached any potential they once had.  The younger players like Etuhu and Colin have been very quickly discarded and the young home grown players are not ready in Worthys eyes.

This is merely a team that is getting older not better. 

I am not sure that it is down to coaching the lack of technical ability shown by our players.

Worthington signs players that work hard, are well disciplined  and that have good energy levels, passing ability is not one of his priorities i''m afraid.

That is why we can''t pass the ball well as a team, that is why we rarely take a decent corner and hardly ever take a decent free kick.

I''m afraid that with his obsession with work rate that Nigel has neglected the quality we need in our side.

"Worthington signs players that work hard, are well disciplined  and that have good energy levels, passing ability is not one of his priorities i''m afraid. That is why we can''t pass the ball well as a team, that is why we rarely take a decent corner and hardly ever take a decent free kick".

Throw-ins are a joke too, your Lordship. The team does waxworks impressions when Drury or Fleming stands on the line with the ball.  Frankly, the basics just never seem to get better - except hoof-ball, of course, at which they have all become proficient...[:@]

I remember a comment about Bardsley (on loan to Burnley from Man Utd) from one of the TV commentators last Friday - something like: "Just look at the way he passes the ball and then moves straight into space... That''s drummed into all the players at Old Trafford in training every week..."  So simple. Yet, by contrast, when our team passes the ball, they so often seem to think that''s ''job done'' and leave it to the next man.... So, no fluidity, no build-ups, no incisive one-twos (let alone threes...)

!!! Give me strength !!! 

I think your right about Man Utd players having it drummed into them to pass and then move into space.

Notman, although he had his critics was class when it came to passing the ball. Very, very rarely did he ever give the ball away and his control was excellent.

Nigel did not sign him though.

[quote user="Oso Butch"]

"Worthington signs players that work hard, are well disciplined  and that have good energy levels, passing ability is not one of his priorities i''m afraid. That is why we can''t pass the ball well as a team, that is why we rarely take a decent corner and hardly ever take a decent free kick".

Throw-ins are a joke too, your Lordship. The team does waxworks impressions when Drury or Fleming stands on the line with the ball.  Frankly, the basics just never seem to get better - except hoof-ball, of course, at which they have all become proficient...[:@]

I remember a comment about Bardsley (on loan to Burnley from Man Utd) from one of the TV commentators last Friday - something like: "Just look at the way he passes the ball and then moves straight into space... That''s drummed into all the players at Old Trafford in training every week..."  So simple. Yet, by contrast, when our team passes the ball, they so often seem to think that''s ''job done'' and leave it to the next man.... So, no fluidity, no build-ups, no incisive one-twos (let alone threes...)

!!! Give me strength !!! 

[/quote]

Glad u noticed the throw ins.. most teams will have 2 or 3 players running a few yards to try and make space.. we stand there and get marked up.. a throw in can be as affective as a corner if u move right... we watse our set peices constantly....

this proves we dont train on them...

jas :)

[quote user="The Duke of Norfolk"]

I am not sure that it is down to coaching the lack of technical ability shown by our players.

I''m afraid that with his obsession with work rate that Nigel has neglected the quality we need in our side.

[/quote] I agree to a certain extent but we have much more quality than is showing at the moment. We have shown in patches that we can pass the ball but we need more than glimpses! Defending from free kicks and in general is something than can be worked on at Colney because a defence of Flem, Doc, Shacks and Drury is not lacking quality. Cohesion appears to be the problem. We do have some players that Worthy''s signed that IMO aren''t good enough technically (all in midfield) but I still think there is ample quality in this squad to get us promoted if it is managed and coached properly!