Sign in to follow this  
NimChimpskee

Things we have done right

We are 9th in the league, and still (just) in the hunt for the final play-off place with 6 games left.  Obviously people are disappointed, but clearly this isn''t, by most people''s standards a completely disastrous season.  There has been a lot of moaning recently about the lack of quality in our squad, and the need for a new manager, but are we being a bit harsh?  Surely if everyone involved at the club is as incompetent as we make them out to be, we would be worried about relegation at this stage of the season, not about missing out on the play-offs. 

I''m not saying that 9th is good, or that we shouldn''t be expecting more, but surely clubs such as Southampton, Leicester, Derby etc would love to be in our position.

So, a challenge for those posters intent on negative criticism - have a go at naming the reasons why we''re not in the bottom half of the table.  You might feel better for it! 

What have we done right, that other teams have done wrong?

Are we being harsh bemoaning a lack of quality?  Do you go to any games?  Did you see any of Wolves, QPR, Reading, Luton, Burnley away for example?

As to your other question, I cannot think of anything we have done right this season.  After you!

Why aren''t we in the bottom of the table?

1. A miracle

2. Paul McVeigh''s form at Christmas

3. Worthington''s timely visits from lady luck which will go very quickly

4. Some of the players actually bothering to pull their weight

What have we done right?

1. Not much

2. Hit form when we needed to, but it was either late or was never built on

What have other teams done wrong?

Southampton have inummerbale amounts of errors:

1.  Sacking Paul Sturrock, a manager who has a better record than the person he replaced and those who replaced him. On the form which Sturrock produced at Southampton, they, in his own words, "would have achieved a top 8 finish"

2. Giving the job to someone like Wiggley

3. Waiting too long to sack someone and giving the new man a hard slog at an impossible point in the season.

I could ring up my mate who supports Saints and lives behind Fratton Park, but I don''t think there would be enough space in here to fill up with all the errors he could list.

Crystal Palace: Can''t think of any.

we  have spent more money.  I think that is why we are doing better than southampton whom have cleared out their whole high wage squad.  And we arent broke like Derby and Leicester.  I mean we just spent 3 million samolians on a striker in January!!!

BTW Derby are as many points behind us as we are from Preston!! and Leicester will only be 3 points behind us if they beat us on Saturday...

It''s partly about expectations and partly about quality as far as I''m concerned, NimChimpskee. At present, we are in a much better financial position than most other Championship clubs. On top of this we managed to keep hold of some of our better players when we were relegated from the premiership. I therefore expected us to at least be in a play-off position come the end of the season. I want us to be back in the Premiership, as I''m sure do most other Norwich City supporters. If this goal is not achieved this season or next then I fear we could be stuck in the Championship for another 9 years or so.

My other issue is quality. I attend Carrow Road to be entertained. Unfortunately the quality of football on offer does not entertain me. As a season ticket holder I have to admit that I am only attending home games at the moment because I have paid for them. I get very little enjoyment from them. I have not yet renewed and, unless I see some sign of things improving before next season, I don''t think I will. If somebody else is happy to sit in my seat and watch utter dross every other week then they are welcome to it.

Please explain to me how having a 20 million pound debt can be construed as being in a good financial position.....i''m not good with figures but it doesn''t hold sway with me.

If we balls up next year with this manager god help us !!!!!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Do I get a prize if I get it right ?

[/quote]

There are no right answers, but everyones prize is a smug, at-least-we''re-not-Southampton, grin!!!!

I don''t think I''ve any answers for this one but I hoped it might have sparked some reaction.  It''s funny, but quite predictable reading through the answers.

"my mate who supports Saints and lives behind Fratton Park"

Brave man, probably not the most popular in the local  pub !!!

Mark .Y.

Clubs like Leicester, Derby & Southampton had huge financial crises which forced them to sell tehir best palyers and spend peanuts on replacements.  Yet they aren''t far behind us.

So in answer to your question:

The board got the finances right, thereby giving the manager ample resources to do very well in this division of paupers.

The manager then completely wasted that good work by totally fouling up all the FOOTBALL decisions that had to be made.

No-one sensible thinks the board haven''t been great at providing the manager with money, what the "antis" believe is that the manager is a negative footballing dullard who is living off one season where we got 10 years worth of luck in one go (virtually no injuries, winning loads and loads of games where we simply weren''t the better team, the manager''s rubbish first choice transfer targets being snapped up by others before our money could be wasted on them etc etc)

I totally agree that this season has been disastrous and some of Worthington''s decisions over the last couple of years have been strange to say the least. I would like to see us with a new manager and I agree that Parkinson would be a particularly strong candidate IMO. But I think that when you get to writing off our promotion season as being purely down to luck I think you should seriously consider which team it is you support and, if it is City, then you should be asking yourself why you support them. Yes, we have been a disgrace at many points this season, but 2003/04 was a great season with some classic memories and to say it was just down to luck is simply untrue.   

[quote user="Dicky"]

Good post Nim - wait for the barrage of flack from the antis.

[/quote]

We certainly should expect to hear from the "vast majority" who according to planet Dicky and planet Munby are KTF`s

For a "majority" group they seem so quiet?

(1) No shouts of Worthy support at any games.

(2) Almost no support on every large message board online.

(3) Any large online Polls seem to always favor Worthy OUT!

(4) They had the oppotunity to attend the public meeting and have their points heard, about 2 out of 500

WOW, that is the most non-vocal "majority" I have seen.

They seem to lack any passion or conviction to raise their voices, seems like they just don`t care.

I think it all boils down to the fact that a lot of KTF`s know that Worthy has done a poor job but their pride does not want them to admit that they were wrong so they dig in their

heels to try and save face.

WORTHY OUT.

I think disastorous is too strong a word (even if spelt right which I don''t think I have). Compared to Man City''s double relegation this has actually been a  good season. By most other standards however... What we have done right I would say is to keep most of our squad (which Leeds for one couldn''t) and invest in players which know this league (but aren''t good enough to play any higher). On the whole, I reckon our squad is pretty good, the problem is we lack depth in many areas, we are not investing in players with good long term potential and we aren''t playing to suit our strengths. We are boring, tactically inept and sometimes clueless; but we do at least win games when we really have too.