Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Reasons I prefer Earnie to Ashton.

1. He WANTS to be at City!.

2. He''s far quicker than Ashton, but then again who isn''t?.

3. I''m convinced that given the same amount of time, he will score more goals for City than Ashton.

4. His goal celebrations, simply blow Ashton away!.

5. He already has ''connected'' with the fans in my opinion, whereas I think Ashton was always somewhat aloof.

6. He will quickly become a City legend like Hucks.

There may be other reasons you can think of, but thats enough for now, I''ve always liked Earnshaw, even when he was at other clubs, but now that he''s ours, its even better.

Agreed?.

Ashton is pure class, never a hope in hell of excelling under Worthington that is why Deano cost £7m.  Earnie will struggle to score as fluently as previous unless midfield becomes more creative.

Deano''s ability shining through when circumstances allow.  Earnie couldn''t cut it in Prem only a Championship class striker.

Dean an opportunity lost to exploit the most talented City striker since Sutton.

Totally agree Wiz, i was surprised by the link play on Saturday and we now seem to be playing to Earnshaws strengths, From what i''ve seem of the highlights it also seems like it is allowing Huckerby to get inside more which gives us our attacking threat back.Its only one result (Sheff Utd) but i think we''ve made massive steps in the right direction as a result of that win.

Sorry Pete

I think you will find that Earnie Scored 14 goals in the premier last season and they were mostly off the bench. But that said i would sooner have ashton & earnie playing for us but it was not to be.

" Dean an opportunity lost to exploit the most talented City striker since Sutton."

That''s priceless

so your tryin to tell me deano never ''connected'' with the city faithful?? and plus earnie will not score more than ashton because he doesnt have the ability to get himslef in the game when service lacking. also if he does it will be because nobody will buy him from us as ashton has been. And so far spending more on him than we did for ashton has been unjustified!!

Ashton is a top quality player, far superior to Crouch, and should be a world cup squad member. His touch, awareness, strength, two-footedness and aerial ability are second to none. Earnshaw is a different type of player. He is lightning quick, a worker, and has intelligence. Given service, that ashton was denied, he will score a lot of goals here. To say he was a flop in the premier league is also incorrect, i recall he scored many goals for west brom last season, a feat in itself, given they were bottom when he joined, and he hardly got a start in the first team. In fact, i believe he hit a hat trick in one game. Failure?? No.      

Ashton clearly didn''t want to be here. Nothing to do with his service and such - yesterday we all watched a sharp and capable Ashton play very well and get the two goals.

Clearly he saw himself as a big fish in a small pond and stopped working. We don''t need people like him here at the football club, regardless of how talented he is.

Earnshaw wants to be here, has the potential to score as many as Ashton and has made us rethink what we''re doing as a team that clearly wasn''t working.

We''re now back to working like a team - instead of working around Ashton. And we''re £3.25mil richer too.

I dont like him any more than I did Ashton because I was always a huge admirer of Deano''s quality and ability, I dont think Earnie will ever be as good as Ashton as a player but given the time at Norwich he could be an absolute legend! He always puts a smile on my face as he is such a character! Ashton always put a smile on my face with his immense performances and priceless goals, but as long as I''m smiling I dont mind!

You''re soooo right 1st wiz.Earnie is lightyears ahead of Ashton in all aspects of forward play.As a hammers fan I reckon we got the wrong man-can we give you Deano back in a swap deal for Earnie?I realise we would have to throw in a makeweight.How about Harewood? or maybe Reo-Coker,sorry I forgot you ''ve got Andy Hughes who is also far superior to anything we have

[quote user="Andrew Nickerson"]

Ashton clearly didn''t want to be here. Nothing to do with his service and such - yesterday we all watched a sharp and capable Ashton play very well and get the two goals.

Clearly he saw himself as a big fish in a small pond and stopped working. We don''t need people like him here at the football club, regardless of how talented he is.

Earnshaw wants to be here, has the potential to score as many as Ashton and has made us rethink what we''re doing as a team that clearly wasn''t working.

We''re now back to working like a team - instead of working around Ashton. And we''re £3.25mil richer too.

[/quote]

yeah but thats the point - you build your team around him because he IS that good and he CAN fire 20 goals in half a season. I mean 5 in 6 starts at west hame now...

[quote user="frettenhammer"]You''re soooo right 1st wiz.Earnie is lightyears ahead of Ashton in all aspects of forward play.As a hammers fan I reckon we got the wrong man-can we give you Deano back in a swap deal for Earnie?I realise we would have to throw in a makeweight.How about Harewood? or maybe Reo-Coker,sorry I forgot you ''ve got Andy Hughes who is also far superior to anything we have[/quote]Sums up what most hammers fans are thinking I reckon. :)I will say this though frettenhammer, as already mentioned he did look lethargic and uninterested once it became clear we weren''t going up.In a way this is understandable, but bear that in mind when bigger clubs come sniffing...he does have form for throwing his toys out of the pram.All that said, he was without a shadow of a doubt the most naturally talented striker I''ve seen play for us, Chris Sutton included.His goal against Man City last season made me sure of that. Hope he does well for you.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]yeah but thats the point - you build your team around him because he IS that good and he CAN fire 20 goals in half a season. I mean 5 in 6 starts at west hame now...[/quote]

Our big problem this season is an over reliance on one target man-like striker. That''s been Ashton. Teams have simply sussed that out and made life hard for Ashton.

Earnshaw is not that striker. He''s far more intelligent, quicker and more predatory than Ashton. Thus, Nigel has had to adapt to fit him, involving the whole team to get him into the game and I really think we''ll be better off because of it.

No more are we Dean Ashton + 10 others City - we''re a team again, and starting to play like a team again, instead of a vessel for one player and I for one am glad of it. 

[quote user="frettenhammer"]You''re soooo right 1st wiz.Earnie is lightyears ahead of Ashton in all aspects of forward play.As a hammers fan I reckon we got the wrong man-can we give you Deano back in a swap deal for Earnie?I realise we would have to throw in a makeweight.How about Harewood? or maybe Reo-Coker,sorry I forgot you ''ve got Andy Hughes who is also far superior to anything we have[/quote]

Trust a Hammers fan to get pi**y, fine, go ahead, but think on this: as Herb has already said, if a bigger club comes along for him, or better still, you lot get relegated, he''ll throw his toys out..............again, and scarper.

Which suits us with the sell on''s.

Ashton plays for Ashton.

Earnshaw plays for Norwich.

I know which I''d rather have.

And no, thats not me being bitter, come back here when I''m proved right.

[quote user="Andrew Nickerson"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]yeah but thats the point - you build your team around him because he IS that good and he CAN fire 20 goals in half a season. I mean 5 in 6 starts at west hame now...[/quote]

Our big problem this season is an over reliance on one target man-like striker. That''s been Ashton. Teams have simply sussed that out and made life hard for Ashton.

Earnshaw is not that striker. He''s far more intelligent, quicker and more predatory than Ashton. Thus, Nigel has had to adapt to fit him, involving the whole team to get him into the game and I really think we''ll be better off because of it.

No more are we Dean Ashton + 10 others City - we''re a team again, and starting to play like a team again, instead of a vessel for one player and I for one am glad of it. 

[/quote]

yeah but we didnt build our team to his strengths, we hoofed it at him....  I will bet you that never happened to him when he was scoring 20 goals in half a season at Crewe.....

Yes but we are hoofing it as you call it to Earnie he seems to be scoring ok and he is not as tall as Ashton

[quote user="MadDan"]" Dean an opportunity lost to exploit the most talented City striker since Sutton."

That''s priceless[/quote]

Its spot on though. Ashton was a class above any striker I can

remember, his awareness was far better than Sutton at 22 for sure....

Would Earnshaw be on the fringe of the England squad had his place of birth been different? Unlikely I think.

[quote user="Tadley Yellow"]Yes but we are hoofing it as you call it to Earnie he seems to be scoring ok and he is not as tall as Ashton[/quote]

what 3 goals in 7(1) appearances...  and match ratings of 4/10, 4/10, and 2/10 in three of the games!!

Deano did get what 11 or 12 goals or something.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="frettenhammer"]You''re soooo right 1st wiz.Earnie is lightyears ahead of Ashton in all aspects of forward play.As a hammers fan I reckon we got the wrong man-can we give you Deano back in a swap deal for Earnie?I realise we would have to throw in a makeweight.How about Harewood? or maybe Reo-Coker,sorry I forgot you ''ve got Andy Hughes who is also far superior to anything we have[/quote]

Trust a Hammers fan to get pi**y, fine, go ahead, but think on this: as Herb has already said, if a bigger club comes along for him, or better still, you lot get relegated, he''ll throw his toys out..............again, and scarper.

Which suits us with the sell on''s.

Ashton plays for Ashton.

Earnshaw plays for Norwich.

I know which I''d rather have.

And no, thats not me being bitter, come back here when I''m proved right.

[/quote]And of course Earnshaw has absolutely no history of toy throwing right?Hope Worthy''s fabled man-management skills are ready!!! Listen,I have no beef with Norwich city,and as an exiled hammer living in Norfolk I would sincerely like to see you back in the premier league,however when someone makes a laughable comparison I feel the need to respond

Any posts on here are bound to be prejudiced in favour of NCFC, frettenhammer, as it''s a Norwich City forum. Is that ok with you? If it''s not, tough. Get used to it. Incidentally, don''t you have a message board of your own to go to, or have you been exiled from that as well? I think we should be told.

I know Norfolk is renowned for being a little insular but surely you don''t mind a little input from outside? I normally post on  footymad,where incidentally, 1st wiz has occasionally been known to post on the West Ham board,and of course that''s just fine by me.

i agree with fretten hammer... as soon as Earnie says something worthy wont like he will be left festering in the reserves... Dean Ashton kept his head down and worked hard for us.. id love to se ehim back here although it wont ever happen...

jas :)

Welcome frettenhammer. Unfortunately, this message board is highly populated with neurotics who often become paranoic of any intelligent comment that in any way offers constructive criticism of matters pertaining to Norwich City. There are a wealth of good posters also, but they won''t be the ones to jump on you when you offer anything that could be construed as even slightly critical. Pay no mind to such posters. They are less seasoned and  limited in the area of little grey cells. They are harmless.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="Tadley Yellow"]Yes but we are hoofing it as you call it to Earnie he seems to be scoring ok and he is not as tall as Ashton[/quote]

what 3 goals in 7(1) appearances...  and match ratings of 4/10, 4/10, and 2/10 in three of the games!!

Deano did get what 11 or 12 goals or something.

[/quote]1. One must remember that our form since we bought him has been neigh on absymal, after all it took about a month and a half to win a match this year. 2. Hoofing the ball to him is not going to get us goals from him (and similr could have been said about Ashton)3. He is not Dean Ashton where he can create and score goals together. If he is put through on goal, or gets the ball in the area he scores ( he has a very good record at scoring at all the clubs he''s been at). Worthy doesn''t see that though, so whilst Worth keeps ignoring this fact he''s not gonna break the goal nets.

YC, you and your new found chum should meet up for a cosy little soiree sometime. I''m sure you would find plenty to talk about as you are both arrogant and rude, and regard Norfolk as some back of beyond place inhabited by straw-sucking wurzels. I would remind you both that there are intelligent people and dim people in every village, town, city or nation on this planet. So don''t repeat the usual platitudinous nonsense about Norfolk people being particularly dense and insular. I do not lack any grey matter, YC, apart from any natural loss through wear and tear, and the effects of Anno Domini.

As you''re so bright Colin, perhaps you could explain why it''s a big

issue for you that a player might bat for the other side? As you

obviously don''t want to be seen as a bigoted straw sucking wurzel.

Keeping to the thread, They''re both excellent strikers, but Deano is

twice the player Ernie will ever be. As for Ashton''s commitment, seeing

his effort and fury at Fulham showed how much he cared. He''s gone,

shame, but for his greedy boy payoff I wish him well.

Ernie has all the makings of a city legend though, so here''s to the future!

Who said anything about being bright, Sprat. I merely defended myself against accusations of being thick, that''s all. Lord knows, there are more than enough psuedo-intellectuals on here already, there''s no room for any more.