Sign in to follow this  
Snake Pit Rebel

Malky-The Time Is Up!!

Well pleased with the way the game went today all except for one position-Malky''s!!
Come on worthy you have to see through this cart-horse,most of the ground have!!
He has no distribution ability,he holds opponents all game,he looses the ball in key areas constantly,he is no longer a real threat in the air and is it me but he seems to have lost that tiny bit of pace that he once had!!
The opposition see him as the weak link and always try and play through him-we have been lucky so far but we have''nt faced the likes of defoe,earnshaw and ellington yet!!
Come on worthy see sense and bring the young and very promising shackell through as he would learn immensly off fleming!!
Please see sense before we are left wanting!!

Fleming is just as much of a donkey as malky, he too has no distribution and I could whup his ass in a race. And you can''t tell how promising Shackell is until you''ve seen him over a season or two, lets not do a henderson on him (ie saying he''s the greatest thing since slice bread and then he turns out to only be average).

Also I think experience counts for a lot in the centre-back position. I agree that Malks is a donkey, but another loan signing with some experience rather than a kid learning his trade please Nige.

I agree entirely and cannot wait to see Shackell alongside Fleming. Alas I fear that the only way we are likely to see this happen is if Malky picks up an injury. He has done well in the past, especially when he has gone up front and scored some tremendous goals, but I believe the time is right for him to step down. Unfortunately nowadays, there is always that feeling that Malky is likely to give away a penalty or free kick on the edge of box. It was great to watch the likes of Huckerby, Crouch and Harper showing the sort of class needed to get into the top six. Therefore, if this is the sign of things to come then we need to ensure that we do not have a weak link at the back. Nigel was brave when he stopped picking Iwan as the first choice striker and he should be brave again and pick Shackell as the first choice centre back.

I was impressed with the way Harper played considering he only arrived on Friday. He looked quick, crossed the ball well and even tackled back. Watch out Rivers you may have some competition when you come back.

Finally, is there any way that we can sign Huckerby now as he was a revelation on Saturday.
His run and cross for Iwan to score at the end of the game was brilliant. I thought he might be tired after all the running he had done, but he still got away from the defenders.

In response to Mook, I have seen Shackell several times this season, including the game against Spurs when he marked Robbie Keane out of the game. Although he lacks experience, I believe he is good enough to play at centre half in place of Malky now. You should have seen him recently when he played in the reserves where he was talking to the other players all the time. He had an outstanding game, and was equally vocal when telling players to pick up opponents as well as praising them when they did well. He could go on to become a very good captain in a few years time. I admit that Fleming is not the fastest of defenders but he is not as much of a liability as Malky and would be the ideal teacher for Shackell. Remember Fleming was captain of Oldham a few years back and knows what is required in that role. Let us play Shackell now, he is young, fit, confident, good in the air, brings the ball out of defence and is ready to have a run in the first team. If it doesn''t work out then you can put Malky back in.

Totally disagree Mook,fleming has always been steady and the only reason why his distribution is a little wayward sometimes is because he is in such a hurry to clear up malky''s mess so that he is not caught out of position himself!!
Look at how well fleming played last season with a quality centre half like kenton around him!!
We need someone who has the ability to bring the ball out and not just lump it forward!!

Hmmm. Well I have seen flem boot the ball out an awful lot, and I don''t think that''s all Malky''s fault.

I agree with the sentiment of getting Shackell in there but it could ruin his career and his confidence if he makes a few high profile errors. Also, reserve team football is a very different proposition to first team - just remember Adrian Coote scoring 20 goals a season for the reserves, but couldn''t do it for the first team at all.

We''ll see. Maybe you''re right, but I think I would rather give Malky time to find his form...

Sorry to say it after how awesome he was in our play-off campaign but i really do believe that we have seen the best of Mr Mackay and he will only get worse!!
The guy is just to much of a liability and yes maybe shackall is young and in-experienced but were''nt we saying a similar thing about kents when he burst on to the scene!
Give the guy a chance,if not go back in for leigh bromby!!

As i have said in previous posts, i think its time to give Shackell a run in the team in Malky''s position, he can learn alot from Flemming. Although i don''t believe Shackell is ready for first team football week in week out, in cannot do any harm for him if he has a run in the team, even if it''s just 2 or 3 games. He looks good and i think his time has come, especially now that Malky is under performing.

I think a lot of people agree. We all appreciate what he''s done for the club and has been excellent for the last couple of seasons, but he''s now starting a look a liability in a position where you can''t afford to be.

On the subject of Shackell, I''m a believer of the "if you''re good enough, you''re old enough" mentality. Shackell looked at home when faced with Tottenham''s finest, and should be given a go. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I think his natural ability would see him through in his first few games. I''d have more confidence if he was starting than Malky. I also believe he''s better than Leigh Bromby. Whilst the general consensus on here seems to be that Bromby is the answer to our problems, one question still nags me: If he''s really as good as some believe, why can''t he get a game for division two Sheffield Wednesday? If he couldn''t get a game in a Premiership or top division one side, then fair enough. But we''re delving into division two reserves for our defensive solutions? It just doesn''t quite add up for me.

It wasn''t so long ago that the then manager pitched in a little known youngster called Darren Kenton into the back 4. Sadly in his early days Kenton was often found out of position, lacking hungar and generally looking out of his depth. After a year back in the reserves he emerged much better for it and we know how he turned out in later years. Surely Shackell would benefit from a similar run in the team at present.

The only way this looks possible is if malky or Flem get injured.

With the Bromby situation, clearly he is out of favour at the club. He cut it when he started the games for us on loan. I can clearly recall some city players of yester year who have personal issues with the club and ended up out of the squad. And he wouldn''t be the first division two player that we have bought, there have beeen some successes along the way.

Apparently, Bromby wanted to come here, Sheff Wed wanted him to come here, but Worthy backed out because Bromby had a knee problem a few years back.

So why have I dredged up this thread from 2003?

Simple really. Just to try and highlight the truly breathtaking hypocrisy of some of the posters on this board. There are people coming on here now saying "we should never have let Malky go", and that doing so was a great mistake by Worthington etc,, etc.

This thread - and I could have picked from at least another five which said exactly the same thing - was what people on this board were sayhing about Malky 3 YEARS AGO- when we were in the Championship, just like we are now.

You sound surprised! McVeigh''s our saviour, oh no he''s fat and useless,

If Worthy can change so can I, oh ooops I mean get him out along with

Delia, Hunter''s changed everything, oh no, get rid of the board and all

the coaching staff. I don''t know what I think boo hoo.

I''ve been away on holiday for a week and this board has gone berserk,

whereas from the results it looks like we''ve had a couple of crap

performances and one good one, ruined with a lack of concentration at

the finish (who was singing "it''s just like watching Brazil" at

Saarfend?). Hardly cause for the hateful bile being spouted.As for

wanting Robson to come here, ey? you''re having a laugh aren''t you! Now,

before some of you start screaming KTF etc, I think there''s some

serious problems but they seem mostly down to the unbelievable lack of

squad strength and though I think Worthy''s time is probably up, there''s

little point in ditching him when the real problem is the players or

lack of and i refuse to accept that''s his fault. No-one of any value

will replace him without funds.

I don''t know what you are talking about to be honest but I am Malky''s fans always, because he was the leader at our defence and always dangerous in attack the free kick.

As with many good center halfs, they improve with age.  And yes as you can tell he was my favorite player...

And yes many thought Malky was not up to the task - but it is WORTHYS DECISION - he got it wrong BIG STYLE.

He new of Malky''s influence in the dressing room and on the pitch - my main gripe at the time was replacing him with a 5''8" left back.

Jas - it is no different now. I have dragged up some of the things have said and they directly contradict other statements. It''s the trouble when you run around in a panic like a headless chicken all the time - you lose control of your senses and forget what you have said. Alternatively, you hope that no one will notice.

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]Jas - it is no different now. I have dragged up some of the things have said and they directly contradict other statements. It''s the trouble when you run around in a panic like a headless chicken all the time - you lose control of your senses and forget what you have said. Alternatively, you hope that no one will notice.[/quote]So you agree  that Worthington made a huge, no humongous mistake in selling Malky then? oh the irony of contradiction!

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Getting off the fence"]Jas - it is no different now. I have dragged up some of the things have said and they directly contradict other statements. It''s the trouble when you run around in a panic like a headless chicken all the time - you lose control of your senses and forget what you have said. Alternatively, you hope that no one will notice.[/quote]

So you agree  that Worthington made a huge, no humongous mistake in selling Malky then? oh the irony of contradiction!
[/quote]

Not quite sure of how you arrived at this JB.