Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Delia statement

What a load of old rubbish, but at least they realise all is not right at long last... please do not respond to her calls for unity, only unite behing our new manager

OTBC

St.John

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

What a load of old rubbish, but at least they realise all is not right at long last... please do not respond to her calls for unity, only unite behing our new manager

OTBC

St.John

[/quote] What on earth are you on ?  People have asked for them to comment, They have and now YOU  are telling me and other supporters not to unite behind OUR team? You do what the h**l you like but I will continue to unite with like minded supporters behind our club and our team.

Shes missed the point. IMO it not just about winning, its about entertainment, the whole football experience and that can only be provided by the team, including the manager. They need to have the ability to be able to provide that entertainment and usually results come with that. The supporters can make as much noise as they like, but if the tatics are wrong, the players are out of position and/or lack the required ability then they are wasting their breath.

Even the KTFs know this and that is why it is deathly silent at the games.

Flawed argument re brum- what about Wigan?As for ''stats'' on past seasons, they are missing the main gripe, it the manner in which we play, we DONT pass well, its NOT good football and no amount of contrary statements from Nigel ''I paid money for Andy Hughes'' Worthington will convince me otherwise. Wimbledon stats were impressive for years, is that the sort of football they want?not me.Poke the season ticket, i''ll be back when we play decent football again, In the meantime I''ll go watch Chesham utd. hoof it, its cheaper......

I could vaguely understand it if it wasnt for the fact that he is underperforming with such good players in the squad. Admittadly the squad is unbalanced but whose fault is that in the first place.

[6]WORTHY OUT...  I will be at the next Protest, and hey I may start chanting for the team if the KTFers start a chant...(NOT BLOODY LIKELY!! [:P])

... please do not respond to her calls for unity, only unite behing our new manager

Yeah, despite what she says, let''s not get behind the club - you cannot come out with comments like that and call yourself a supporter - she even gives you the definition in her statement to help you understand it.

Your club needs your support right now - let''s be there.

"On a personal note here, between us we have nearly 90 years of supporting Norwich and neither of us have before heard a section of the crowd booing when we are winning!"

Thats the problem. That is the extent that the fans are NOT happy. Its not about one game its about the style of football being played, the overall results and

the future direction.

The fans/supporters/customers are demanding a change.

You say NW compares well with other championship managers but look at what other teams have spent compared to us?

NW has had tremendous finacial backing from the board through signings and the multitude of loan players.  

Somethines Delia, you can be too close to the situation to see the big picture.

Sorry Delia old love - you''ve completely missed the point - and with it, the opportunity!

Unless I''m very much mistaken it is not our league position that is concerning everyone here. It is the "entertaining football" being dictated by our manager that is the real issue. My family and I go to Carrow Road to be entertained on a Saturday. If we went to a Robbie Williams concert and he waked on stage and read the newspaper to 100,000 people we would have cause to complain that we were not being entertained. If we come to Carrow Road and find our big, strong midfield players standing behind our centre half (because that''s what they are told to do) who has the gall to run ten yards forward with the ball, we are not being entertained. Then to listen to the conductor of the orchestra telling us afterwards that we must work even hard next week, beggers belief - harder at what?

Sorry Delia - like a lot of people I had assumed that you would wait until the time had come to do something about the situation and then act decisively. I''m afraid all you have done is further divide the ranks by throwing down a challenge to us to cheer and support negative and inept tactics because that''s what loyal fans are supposed to unquestioningly do. Well I''m afraid there comes a time when the best thing loyal fans can do is to say "I''m sorry we cannot support this any longer - you carry on if you wish, but don''t ask us to watch our club being decimated by increasingly desperate defending by journeymen footballers".

delia sorry to say but your missing the point , why the fans are upset is the way we are losing without the passion on the pitch . if your happy with the way we are getting beat you must be very easy pleased. most games this season we have been played off the park by teams we should be beating. yes i do think worthy has done a good job for the club , BUT he has really lost the plot this season . he should go & livermore with him . p s think you should get mr skipper to come out on the pitch & say sorry to the fans for what he said on the radio & in the press . do he speak for all the broad on what he said with his remarks ?. if he dont mr skipper should resign . respects on the ball city

Well done to Delia and Michael for coming out and facing the wrath of the fans and putting their point across.  I believe that what they are doing is correct in this situation; and that is showing faith and sticking together, something most of us can learn from.  I also believe in freedom of speech and therefore cannot blame people for voicing their opinions, but to boo the team when you are winning, no matter how unpretty it is, is just ridiculous.  It is time for everybody to get behind the team, and save negativity for outside the ground.  Another point - with all the talk of Worthy disliking McVeigh and them not getting on, it seems funny now that he has signed a contract extension when surely a few other clubs would have been speaking to him due to him being out of contract in the summer. It is obviously not all as bad behind the scenes as many are saying.

dan

What a load of waffle I have just ploughed through!

Once again it is all about the following:

• We don''t have the money of some other clubs and even if we did where would it get us (Birmingham)

• Injuries

• New players need to adjust and settle in

• West Ham kept faith with Pardew - (Yes but Watford lost faith in Lewington and look how they have improved!! )

• Results are all that matter

As other respondents have noted - they MISS the main point. I don''t give a damn if we lose 3-2 at Leeds if we play good attacking football, have attempts on goal, cause them real problems and may be lose unluckily to a late penalty or something. I DO give a damn if we play with the same rubbish football and spinelessness as we did at QPR, Wolves, Derby, Watford (first half), Palace, Reading...........  

The ONLY different thing in this statement is a public acceptance that  ''if we collectively feel that a change is needed we will make it''. They could hardly say anything less could they?

Many fans will, once again, fawn at the feet of Delia Smith and think everything is alright as ''our Deals'' has spoken. The objective amongst us will say.....''lets wait and see''  

i too think the point about how much we have spent is missing. we have spent more in the last 3 seasons on just strikers, than most teams have spent in the last 5-10 years at this level.

"But let''s

consider the record of Nigel''s tenure. Year one, we were saved from the

threat of relegation. Year two, we went to the play-off finals in

Cardiff. Year three, we finished eighth. Year four, we won the

Championship. Year five, we competed in the Premiership. Year six, we

are currently tenth in the Championship."

I think this part sums up the difference between Delia and Michaels

perception of  success and failure, compared with the fan''s view

of it.

Last year''s Premiership campaign was a failure. Simply competing there

doesn''t mean much if you''re being stuffed week in, week out. And for

most of it we were. Just like Sunderland.  This year has been an

unmitigated failure too. An unforgivable one based on the players and

resources Worthington has had available.

Delia tells us "The Oxford dictionary defines a supporter as one who ''holds up'' or ''stands beside". Well

actually Delia, the fans are doing just that. Standing by their club. The amount of season

ticket renewals speaks volumes. But what the fans are doing by

expressing disappointment at this season is standing up for the belief

that this club can be doing so much better. I feel sorry that Delia and

Michael have such low standards, and limited ambition. Plucky little

Norwich indeed.

I sadly think that Delia missed the point. She has failed to understand how supporters are feeling. The problem is the dour boring clueless negative ''football'' being served up by Norwich this season. I wrote to her last month and got back a letter along simular lines to the statement though much, much shorter.

I do think Nigel Worthington over the past 2 seasons has seriously lost his way, signings, tactics excuses or lack of, so on and so on, prove this and ultimately what is served up on the pitch. I think Delia needs to stand back and take a more objective look at the club, particulary the football team. She and the board are in serious danger of alienating so many true supporters. 

Nothing new in the statement for me;  They are fans who are not in it for the money,   they do not expect to get any return on the cash they have backed the club with  and they are as disappointed as the average Joe with the way the season has panned out.   They have continued faith in their manager who they feel has had a rough time with transfers and injuries and so they are prepared to give him more time as they value stability very highly.   They are not naive enough to consider a change when they feel the time is right.   The note could be summed up in three words Keep The Faith and I have no problems with that as their opinion.

However I do feel patronised, intentionally or not on their part, by the "true supporter" comment at the end of the statement. I am fully aware of what a supporter is and it goes far beyond any dictionary definition.  As I would a friend I will not shirk my responsibility in sharing my concerns with the club; not saying when things are clearly wrong is not being a supporter - a critical friend is worth their weight in gold. 

I will continue to sing for the team on match days and will be ''standing beside'' the 11 players in yellow and green match in match out next season too, just like Delia.  My fanancial committment may not be as large but my season tickets are bought so I will continue to support the team and club financially as well as vocally - I cannot and will not divorce my passion for the club.

However it is becuase I have that very passion for the club that I will continue to express my displeasure at continued managerial failures to provide a team playing football with a passion week in week out.  I have long said its not the defeats that hurt, it is the passionless manner of those defeats; delivered with no quality of performance week in week out; with no signs of the coaching staff having a clear plan to change things that is so depressing.

Cheap jibes at whether or not the protestors are ''true supporters'' are more insulting than some of the appalling performances we have seen this season.   I dont doubt your passion or committment Delia and I respect your view even if I dont agree with it;  please afford me the same courtesy. 

Delia & Michael have sadly fallen for the old "hasn''t he done well" routine - they seem to be saying that it''s acceptable for us to have spent a year in the Premiership and then fall flat on our collective arse the following season.   It''s not acceptable and they should be doing something about it.   It is one of the standards of football that managers livelihoods depend on the results on the field - not that they''re a really nice bloke or that they had a but of an Indian Summer recently...

We need to start seeing results, results that propel us towards the Premiership and the sort of income that WOULD allow us to maintain a £42m pound squad.   To say that just because Brum can''t cut the mustard must mean that Worthy did a "jolly good job" with a squad of £4m is to me a non-starter of an argument.   So Birmingham are struggling at the moment - why?  Is it the manager, is it the squad?   I''m sure that the Gold brothers & David Sullivan have their own ideas but that they won''t suffer the loss of Birmingham''s Premiership status lightly...

This statement does nothing to satisfy the fears I have about the cosy relationship between board and manager.  I don''t have any problems with Delia & Michael''s investment - good on them, for they have provided City with an undeniably sound financial footing.   That said, even they must realise that persisting with a tryer (for all the effort he puts in) is not necessarily going to help the club achieve it''s objectives.  But then, perhaps we should be questioning what they all see as the objective?   Is it Premiership football or relative financial security at the upper end of the Championship? 

Delia: Don''t you dare try to ''blackmail'' me and thousands with your loyalty crap!. We have always been very loyal to the club as you damn well know!.

Don''t you dare try the Birmingham example, unless you mention Wigan as well.

We do not however feel loyalty to an underperforming and useless manager, and surprise surprise, won''t cheer boring negative football either.

Until you can grasp that, the bad feelng will just grow and fester!.

Just resign and join your friends at Ipswich!.

OK, as we''re all having our say - this is my take on the statement.

Without repeating bits of it (as I''m not all that clever on a computer) I am pretty happy with what was said. I think it shows that they are very very aware of the depth of feeling and I also think that NW has until around Christmas next year at longest if things don''t improve. There was no clear defining statement there saying that the manager will be retained, quite the opposite in fact. That may be too late for a lot of people but I believe they are going to give him the first couple of months next season to see if things get better. They did make a clear indication of the fact that they are business people and I think that should be seen as a broad hint that they are well aware that we need success on the pitch.

As I said already, I am happy with the statement and believe that NW is now on borrowed time unless he turns things around.

Mark .Y.

A very political response and not very Worthy (excuse the play on words) She is totally misguided and shows her lack of resolve and ambition to fulfil the fans reasonable expectations after the debcle of last season and the consistent dreadful style of performances from the Worthington chosen players this season.

I now really fear for the clubs future under her control!

Michael and Delia recall the Boro game and the impact fans can have - yet fail to recall the lack of response from the players at Fulham when the support was immense in the biggest game the club had faced in years.  The reason the fans responded against boro was due to gloating by boro fans not the quality of football that we were seeing, which was far better than we have faced this year. 

Michael & Delia, it is not the fans fault, whichever side of the fence those fans sit, that the team has provided so many clueless and passionless performances this season.  Fans have an impact, but its the managerial team that drives the level of performance, no one else, and its my opinion that if the manager cannot influence what happens on the pitch then he is no longer the right man to lead city, your view is different and that is fine with me and I am encouraged that the situation will be reviewed, (although I am a bit concerned at the ''ALL collectively'' piece as that suggests one large shareholder would hold sway over a significant majority).   

You claim not to be one dimensional but then produce only one reason to keep the manager (stability) and a series of excuses to explain away why the team hasnt even improved as the season has progressed, which is what I would expect any manager to produce in a rebuilt team - coach an improvement into the team and individuals.

As Greeno pointed out, probably tongue in cheek, the team only currently perform when the fans protest - what does that say about who is motivating the team, the fans or the manager?

The perception of last season (we needed two more points to avoid the drop not just one, just to be pedantic but factually correct) is completely clouded by a short 7 game run at the end of the season when the manager finally gave the talented players a run in the team ahead of the hard working but substandard favoured players, merely to stop them moaning they hadnt had a chance - how in any way shape or form is that decent management?  Without that run we would have finished bottom of the league by some distance.   

I understand the stability counts motto, respect your keep the faith message and appreciate you taking the time to conirm once again your position - I will continue to share mine with you.

City R Us - You''ve lost me with your post, mate.

Are you saying that, just because they''ve actually spoken to the Press, we must now say, "Yes, of course, you''re absolutely right" and start backing Worthington immediately?

I thought I''d just clear this up with you; I''m sure that you wouldn''t have come out with something so exceptionally stupid, so I''m obviously being dense here.  

(1) I don''t like Worthington and I don''t like the kind of football he seems to want to produce. This season has been a disgrace...9 out of 40 or not...its still been a woeful underchievement made worse by its dour and depresssing style. I also believe that most clubs would have sacked their manager given this set of circumstances, probably about November.  

(2) I would also like a new manager, (provided it isn''t Graeme Souness or anyone who only uses the adjective ''fantastic''.)

But, I think Delia''s statement is a reasoned opinion also, and fair enough, so long as she realises that there has to be a point at which the need for a change can actually override the benefits of stability.

She should therefore, imo, now be giving the manager a clear target to achieve and a clear deadline for achieving it.

I believe it should be (1) a clear improvement in the quality of performances for the rest of this season, and then (2) at least top 6 by the end of 10 games next. 

If not, please lets get someone else to have a go...

The last person to from the club to question loyalty of it''s supports was a certain Fat Bob Chase. I don''t think baiting fans is a wise course.

Also, on last years premiership campaign, we conceded so many goals it was at times farcical. In almost any other season we would have been relegated with more than two months to go. Investment in forwards is on;y worthwhile if there is a supply to create chances for them. It has been said that we could have the best forwards in the country, but if no chances are created, then no goals can be scored.

I do, however, feel that personal insults to Delia nd Micheal is uncalled for, and suley over the years they have proved time and time again their commitment to the club? I was hoping this was going to be a reasoned discussion, but at times it turns into nothing more than a playground spat, boo sucks to you with knobs on, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and should have the respect of others for giving  it; not this childishness which is taking over the message board. Lets at least act like grown ups.

i have been saying for months that i want Delia and Michael to respond.. and well done to them they have...

sadly they are blind to the goings on at Carrow Road then... Delia is to nice to be on the board... she is probably firends with each and everyone of the players and coaching staff along with Worthless... therefore this is going to blind her judgement...

the atmosphere at Carrow road is dead, we n o longer play football, we eek out lucky results against rubbish sides... the proof is in the pudding.. and a spanking at leeds followed by another one at home to sheffield United wont open Delias eyes anymore... but might just push worthy out...

i Fully expect a "blame the fans" rant from the board should Worthy go.... Delia will appoint another "friend" as manager... and the whole happy circle will continue again....

is worthy really to blame or is it the board??? i think its both.... i wouldnt want another Robert Chase but i do want a cut throat, Ruthless business man, who wont take crap from anyone, and isnt afraid to make changes when needed.. not a chef who "just wanted to give Nigel a great big cuddle" at fulham... wheres the Sick Bucket?!?!?!

does Karen Brady want to hug Bruce???? no.. she''d want to kick him out the door given the chance though! shes a business woman... Delia is a celebrity who owns a football club... i know who id rather have on the board... Birmingham have been mentioned.. well theres ur answer...

Go nigel, go Delia, go Michael, Go Skipper.. and lets have some Business people on board!

jas :)

I''m fairly impressed with Delia''s comments. She isn''t hiding and I think what she has said is well thought out. Ok I still believe Worthington should go but I don''t believe Delia could have said much more. She''s acknowledged things are bad and clearly understands the fans frustrations which is more than Worthy or the board seem to do. She can''t really criticise Worthy publicly in her position or the club really will be in chaos!

Ps. where did that rose suddenly appear from??

I am grateful for Delia & Michael''s response, but it is the lack of passion in Norwich''s game which I miss the most, not our league position.It''s like the team just aren''t palying for each other anymore. Look at the team we have...on paper we should have walked this league!It''s Ok thinking back to Middlesborough last year, but we had a different team then. And I don''t think the crowd cheering scored us 3 goals in 11 minutes! We had Edworthy, Jonson, Francis, Mulryne, Holt, Brennan and Ashton playing for us that day!!!True, West Ham did call for the manager''s head, but Pardew responsed by buying quality players and played to their strengths. Look at Newcastle as an example of what happens when dead wood is cut away. Look at Leicester City recent results now they have changed manager, look at Nottingham Forest, and now watch Sunderland go!!!Where has Norwich passing game from times past gone? I remember we used to play teams off the park with out passing ability. Sorry, but I think the message was same old same old and Leeds Utd this week will confirm this.

Presumably you only want to unite behind our new manager if he is successful though. How long do you think we should give him before we start having a go at him?

Thanks ever so much Delia and Michael, for giving me a clear insight, into your thoughts regarding Nigel and the future of NCFC, with your informative interview on BBC Look East and Anglia.[:|]

Now personally, I certainly don''t have a problem with your decision to retain the services of Nigel in the supposed and ''possible hope'' of him being able to turn it all around...............ish. [:^)]

Just as long as in Delia''s restaurant, you''re prepared to only dish up on corporate functions, dinner evenings and match days, just the one choice of sausage, egg, beans and chips, with treacle sponge pudding and custard for sweet, and a mug of tea to wash it all down with!.

Reason being, is that I''m pretty sure your diner''s will soon become tired of the same old stuff served up - week in and week out, even if ketchup and mustard are occasionaly made available to flavour the meal. I''m also absolutely certain, that they would no doubt - bring their discontent  to the attention of your staff and maybe your very  good self, regarding the limited choice of menu.........."Oi Delia! We expect a bit better than this!" [:@]

Bit like my concerns on the pitch..........But nothing''s gonna change there is it! [:|]