Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Give Earny a chance!

I find it strange how people are saying ''lets'' drop Earny'', the guy obviously has talent, so give him a chance! I believe that he is one of Worthless'' better buys.

He will score goals if we play proper football (for all you Worthy lovers that means the football being passed on the grass, not in the air), thus we play to his strengths. Again Worthy lovers, this means that we do not play high balls for a 5 ft striker to try and head, beating a tall centre-half in the air.

agreed, when playing the proper way he would score, but were not so why bother?. he would be a gd buy for a passing team, which we current are not. he wasted on us in my opinion. you never know though, our luck might change. i just saw a pig wit wings [:)].

I dont think anybody is dissing erny himslf but he has been awful quiet in his 6 games since joining us.  The way we are playing football all I seam to see is him with his back to goal with a 6 foot giant standing behind him as we pump it upfield.

Reality is that JJ2 and Mckenzie are both on fire at the moment so maybe erny would be better on the bench next game to give the 2 form players a chance.

Well said.

Michael Owen, Bellamy, cisse, andy johnson etc, top quality strikers would all look "awful" in our team. These players all need service, the ball played into feet and into gaps for them to use their pace. These players are not suited to Nigels hoofball tactics. You can count the decent chances earnies had in his 6 games on 1 hand  It doesnt matter if its me on a sunday or Thierry Henry at highbury, if you dont create the chances the striker wont score.

I am one wanting to see JJ2 and Leon starting for us this saturday but its nothing to do with Earnies ability but what best for the team given the tactics we currently adopt.

I agree Earnie will be a good buy and I have no i ntention of ''dising'' him, but at the moment we are not giving earnie the chances he needs - as worthy acknowledged in todays interview. Some papers have scored his recent efforts at 3 and 4 and that does indicate the impact he is currently having on the game - again through no fault of his own.  I guess its a judgement call but I cant see us changing our style by sat to make the most of earnies strengths. At the moment we are not using him well and despite his best efforts he is not creating chances nor holding onto the ball long enough. 

On top of that Leon did what Leon does well last week and more of the same this weekend and JJ2 has impressed everytime he has played as a striker;  Earnie has two goals and JJ2 3 during the same period despite having far fewer minutes on the pitch and many of them on the flank.

Sometimes you have to start with your form players - Leon and JJ2 look good at the mo and as a bonus will hold the ball up longer giving the midfield and defence some breathing space in what will be a tough game at Elland Road. 

However I can also understand worthy wanting to get Leon & Earnie some time together to build an understanding as they are likely to be next season starting strikers.