Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Fair play to Brighton

8 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

No doubt we’ll sell Sara at a ridiculously low price, £25m probably 

Problem is you're probably comparing him to established, experienced players. Sara has never played in the PL and has only been in England for 12 months, and hasn't really played consistently well game in game out either but he's showing signs he can. Don't forget we were absolutely awful the tail end of last season, with Sara on the pitch. 

On 14/08/2023 at 10:44, keelansgrandad said:

I believe the player they have sold is more of a sitting midfielder.

Don't we need one of those? We could have swapped 😂

On 14/08/2023 at 16:23, Canario said:

Strange logic. George Best would have commanded this kind of fee if around today and certainly would never get near to winning a world cup. I'd say they paid well over the odds for both but there we go! 

Only explanation I find plausible is that there are not many quality DCMs about from the top5 leagues. Also many teams - including us - think that a DCM is the be-all and end-all of defensive solidity.

Supply/demand dictates a large portion of transfer fees, but performance has got to be a key one, and Caicedo performed better than Rice (for example), who I thought is £50m overpriced..

Here's an excellent interview with Brighton's CEO, Paul Barber. He discusses a range of topics that highlights what Norwich (and a lot of other clubs) didn't do - before and after promotion.

More relevant to this thread, I doubt they'd be in for Sara; his replacement will already be at the club. To paraphrase PB:

"The worst time to negotiate a transfer is when you've just recieved £80 million in transfer fees. We can usually predict who will attract interest 12-18 months in advance so, using our extensive scouting network, we buy their replacement in early, send them out on loan for 6 months so that they're settled and ready to go."

The Buendia situation comes to mind!

Brighton bought Caicedo for 4.5 million, and sold him for 115. Similar fees were paid for Mitoma, Undav, Enciso and the fella (whose name escapes me) who scored at the weekend. 

41 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

My jealously is off the charts.

Just woo - is it actually happening?