Sign in to follow this  
alex field

Point in signing svensson?

What is the point in signing him, he is totally unproven. At this time we should be focussing on hux at this moment.

Please darren sign asap.

That would wipe the smile of the scummers faces. Well done to the board for acting, fingers crossed!!

He isn''t unproven, he did well for Pompey and on loan for Derby this season. Also, we NEED strikers big style. As I''ve listed in another post - we have Iwan and Jarvis who cannot play whole games due to their ages. We then have a cruiciate ligament victim out til June. After that it''s down to Rivers or Hendo - excluding McVeigh who seems happy on the left.

We NEED strikers, and fast!

We do need strikers, and more specifically, we need a striker with aerial dominance. If Crouch isn''t allowed back, we leave ourselves with Iwan as our only striker over 6 feet tall (although I understand McKenzie is 5ft 11 - but he wasn''t bought as a target man). Svensson suffers from a similar problem to Huckerby at Man Citeh - too many strikers in front of him vying for places. He hasn''t necessarily done anything wrong, and is proven as a good player in this division (his Premiership record isn''t so good, but we''ll worry about that if and when we get there!). If he provides a good aerial presence to work with (hopefully) Huckerby, or McKenzie or McVeigh if not, then he''ll be a good signing.

One thing I can''t understand - one moment we''re "a million miles apart" from an agreement for Huckerby, next thing we can afford THREE strikers, including Huckerby. Where''s this sudden injection of cash come from?

I suspect that the board may have been doing one of two things:

- keeping schtum about the fact that they had the money all along, so as not to let the signing of Huckerby become an auction with the highest bidder getting his signature, OR,

- the share offer has been hugely successful, but again they''re keeping quiet for the reason stated above...

whichever way about it, I ain''t gonna complain, it surely bodes well...