cambridgeshire canary

So Ashley Barnes, Jack Stacey.. Shane Duffy?

Seems we have (almost) signed three free transfers, all of whom are experienced somewhat seasoned players.

Sure makes a different from the young and foreign variety that Webber seems to love.

Are you happy with our first through the door and seemingly change of transfer approach?

Stacey seems a solid enough champs player. Bit worried/unconvinced by age and therefore hunger of Barnes and court out on Duffy- but another solid mid champs option. It’s still all about the midfield though and we need more players in prime 

• Like 1

They are solid much needed additions. I think every side in the country needs a spine of solid British players who can put their stamp on the team and lead by example and work ethic. Short of Hanley and McLean we’ve not had that this season. I’m sure players like this will drag the rest of the group up to higher standards on and off the pitch. 

We need a new spine and some more battle-hardened pros to replace Hanley, who will be out for a large chunk of next season and potentially not be the player he was. An experienced striker who had been around the block, and of a more similar style to Sargent and Idah ,makes perfect sense.

Stacey has pace down the right and more height than Max, and we've got him in on a free. If we get Duffy we'll get a tall, experienced centre-half who's strong in the air so, like Hanley, should be able to get his head on most set-pieces. It doesn't mean jettisoning the idea of looking for young talent, but it does mean providing a stronger spine for the youngsters to bond to.

What I'm most happy with is that they are in early, so Wagner has a pre-season to bond them in somewhat.

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

There's a balance to be struck, and we haven't found it over the last couple of years. These signings redress that balance somewhat. 

Fully agree, haven't had any real ideas on pitch for a couple of seasons so hopefully getting improvements

All three are good signings - and not just from a squad position, but as starters. Hoping to see a left back in so we use Mumba higher up the wing. We desperately need a defensive midfielder. And I’d still love to see a better no9 than Sargeant and Idah. Albeit I’m doubtful we will do any more business up top. But let’s see. 
Certainly a promising start to the summer and credit where it’s due to Webber and Wagner. 

Not convinced with Barnes due to age but happy with the other two. All that matters is the DM signing though. Get that wrong and we'll struggle again. It is so, so important.

3 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Not convinced with Barnes due to age but happy with the other two. All that matters is the DM signing though. Get that wrong and we'll struggle again. It is so, so important.

From Webber's POV I think Barnes being a rotation player is ideal and a part of the reason why we signed him. He'll be wanting all 3 strikers to be getting lots of game time.

I suppose they will have one eye on the academy as well. If they think Tomkinson is definitely at the level, a 31 year old makes sense. Kamara and Barnes ditto. 

7 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I suppose they will have one eye on the academy as well. If they think Tomkinson is definitely at the level, a 31 year old makes sense. Kamara and Barnes ditto. 

Tomkinson was only a bit-part player at Stevenage this season and Kamara looked miles from ready in his sporadic appearances.

Tomkinson could be kept as a backup until Hanley is fit, but I'd be shocked if Kamara gets regular game time this season, and should probably head to League Two on loan.

We desperately lacked leadership, physicality, and 'know-how' in this league. All 3 signings would provide these traits at different ratio levels, and all three on free transfers. Happy with all three signings and early as well. Good business. 

As others have said above though, we really need a marquee DM and No. 10 if we want to think about promotion though. 

For me, I like the fact we're killing 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

Ashley Barnes - brings much needed experience and resilience but is also high energy, hard-working and able to counter-press the way Wagner wants.

Stacey - again, experienced enough, but is very quick and works hard up and down pitch so again will be able to suit Wagner's style of play.

We're solving a psychological and physical squad issue whilst also being players that should be able to play Wagners way.

As always, proof in the pudding.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems we have (almost) signed three free transfers, all of whom are experienced somewhat seasoned players.

Sure makes a different from the young and foreign variety that Webber seems to love.

Are you happy with our first through the door and seemingly change of transfer approach?

Our seemingly change of transfer approach is due to the fact that we haven't a pot to pi$$ in. Nevertheless, think Barnes is the type of nasty player we haven't had in a while as mentioned elsewhere on this forum and Stacey is decent at this level

More experience is a step in the right direction.

The question is why did we persist so long with a failing strategy that cost so much from potentially being able to do the ground renovation to not having a pot?

So we’re replacing out going players with experienced free players. It’s going back to old days, but we need experienced players to develop the younger players. As long as we don’t fill the team with these players at the detriment of our younger players. If the play they need to perform in my book.

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Any chance of signing a defensive midfielder though ?

Well , that's the first  time anyone has mentioned this, well spotted. 🤦‍♀️

Solid enough signings.

If we land Duffy you'd maybe question how this is focusing on youth, but that doesn't bother me at all.

We need an experienced DM as well.

I do like the idea of signing these players. With not much money due to failing to win promotion we are looking for players, we are looking at free agents from other English clubs and so have good experience in the Championship, and also some in the PL

One free agent I don’t want us to sign though is Axel Tuanzebe. 25 year old CB from Man Utd who is horribly injury prone

Found out about this via email and thought we were signing Stacey Trouble, which would be a great name for a footballer.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 15.20.50.png

51 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Well sure, but we do keep not signing one, so seems reasonable enough to keep going on about it.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Should be easy enough to come up with a chant. Stacey's Mom is right there.

Or something to do with Gavin 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Have we signed a permanent DM since Tettey ?

I feel it's a fair point to raise yet again given with a proper DM we'd probably have made the playoffs last season and I've lost count of the number of transfer windows when it has been an issue but the position has not been filled.

So I will keep banging on about it with no apologies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Tomkinson was only a bit-part player at Stevenage this season and Kamara looked miles from ready in his sporadic appearances.

Tomkinson could be kept as a backup until Hanley is fit, but I'd be shocked if Kamara gets regular game time this season, and should probably head to League Two on loan.

They were just examples. I have no inside information.