Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Why no signings

Players contracts run until June 30th. Sign them now and you have to pay them now. Read some article about this, rfor lower league clubs that extra months pay counts. There is also the fact that most players are on holiday, and so won't want to fly back for medical etc. So a bit of patience, for the time being if you could.

Point me in the direction of anyone who has moved anywhere yet…there’s been a few announcements but most of it is stories saying sides are interested in x or y.  The season hasn’t actually properly finished yet.

Anyone who is announced as a signing at this time will not officially be contracted to us until 1st July when their contract with their current clubs is completed unless the player and the club agree to end the contract early.

Ashley Barnes will be an NCFC player on 1st July.

On 17 May 2023, Norwich City announced the signing of Barnes, effective upon expiry of his Burnley contract on 1 July

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Players contracts run until June 30th. Sign them now and you have to pay them now. Read some article about this, rfor lower league clubs that extra months pay counts. There is also the fact that most players are on holiday, and so won't want to fly back for medical etc. So a bit of patience, for the time being if you could.

Sign them now and we'll start to pay them from 1st July.

• Like 1

We've got a whole month until most players contracts end at the end of June as most above have pointed out. A lot of players are most likely on holiday having a break from football like Pukki has done. Plus some might not want the announcement to happen yet even if things are agreed for a number of reasons including wanting to holiday or tie up loose ends etc

You can sign a pre contract agreement. 

I've never known us waiting until 1st July before, and in fact we haven't, cue Ashley Barnes.

Now that it's clear who's relegated, who's promoted a bit of movement will probability happen.

I'd imagine most EPL, and EFL players and staff are in Dubai at the moment. Not much transfer window business happens at this point does it.

I fear we're fishing in the same pond as several other teams now.

If we can land Duffy and Johnston that would be a fab start. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Sign them now and we'll start to pay them from 1st July.

Exactly. It's also worth noting that transfers for players contracted to other clubs can be arranged at any time, but only become official when the transfer window starts. 

I know it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but the whole concept of not being able to sign anyone because the transfer window is closed carries no weight.

1 hour ago, Old Shuck said:

The transfer window doesn't open until June 14th.

Or in the case of NCFC, the day before it closes again

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Exactly. It's also worth noting that transfers for players contracted to other clubs can be arranged at any time, but only become official when the transfer window starts. 

I know it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but the whole concept of not being able to sign anyone because the transfer window is closed carries no weight.

That's true for players who are out of contract at the end of June, they can negotiate pre-contract agreements from January.

If you negotiated with a player who was still in contract at the end of June that would be 'tapping up' which is naughty.

9 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

That's true for players who are out of contract at the end of June, they can negotiate pre-contract agreements from January.

If you negotiated with a player who was still in contract at the end of June that would be 'tapping up' which is naughty.

That's not what I meant. I meant that deals could be agreed between clubs at any time, such as Nkunku to Chelsea, which has been agreed for months. 

Besides, tapping up doesn't really exist any more, or should I say that it's become so common nobody cares. The last time an official complaint was made regarding tapping up was when Southampton reported Liverpool for tapping up van Dijk, but generally all clubs do it nowadays so nobody reports it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Why?

Because Webber said ten days ago signings were imminent.

1 hour ago, ridgeman said:

Exactly, seems a case of SW over-promising & under-delivering! His version of 'imminent' seems rather different to mine...

1 hour ago, ridgeman said:

No, he said ten days ago he was "super confident" a signing would be announced within the following week. Not that "signings" were "imminent".

Just now, Norfolk Mustard said:

Exactly, seems a case of SW over-promising & under-delivering! His version of 'imminent' seems rather different to mine...

That's because he didn't say that.

I was wondering where the term ‘imminent’ had come from, whether it was a quote or someone inferring something. Given  the league season has only just finished, there’s no out-and-put urgency to get guys in just yet. 

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I was wondering where the term ‘imminent’ had come from, whether it was a quote or someone inferring something. Given  the league season has only just finished, there’s no out-and-put urgency to get guys in just yet. 

It has come from the title Cambridgeshire selected to discuss the article. 

Yes - really. Just shows just how persuadable people on this forum are.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That's because he didn't say that.

Pretty sure he said that in one of his interviews. Either way, EDP reported 20th May (10 days ago): "We've already started with Ashley Barnes," Webber said. "I'm super confident in the next week we'll be announcing our second new signing." https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23536313.norwich-city-transfer-news-canaries-announce-new-signing-next-week/

Either way, he's behind on that...

Just now, Norfolk Mustard said:

Pretty sure he said that in one of his interviews. Either way, EDP reported 20th May (10 days ago): "We've already started with Ashley Barnes," Webber said. "I'm super confident in the next week we'll be announcing our second new signing." https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23536313.norwich-city-transfer-news-canaries-announce-new-signing-next-week/

Either way, he's behind on that...

Yes which is what I said.

He didn't say it would happen. He didn't say anything was imminent. He didn't say there would be "signings". 

I know I trot this saying out alot but - it's not rocket science. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes which is what I said.

He didn't say it would happen. He didn't say anything was imminent. He didn't say there would be "signings". 

I know I trot this saying out alot but - it's not rocket science. 

You're playing with words! Whilst it wasn't a firm promise, SW is literally quoted that he was 'super-confident' (of a second signing within a week). Given it didn't happen, perhaps there's been a glitch.

Btw: Why do you reference 'it's not rocket science' as if to indicate others should interpret things in the same way as you? Sounds condescending.

20 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

You're playing with words! Whilst it wasn't a firm promise, SW is literally quoted that he was 'super-confident' (of a second signing within a week). Given it didn't happen, perhaps there's been a glitch.

Btw: Why do you reference 'it's not rocket science' as if to indicate others should interpret things in the same way as you? Sounds condescending.

You are misquoting what Stuart Webber said - you've gone from him "over-promising & under-delivering" and "His version of 'imminent' seems rather different to mine..."  (which fyi is condescension right there) to actually using the right quote and pretending you haven't just made the biggest about face possible.

He's not promised signings, he's not said they would be imminent and he's not "over promised and under delivered". It's just another example of fan impatience.

Lost my faith in Webber now. Doesn't he know he just has to set offer to 'non-negotiable' with a decision deadline of one week? And making sure the contract status is set to 'first team' would easily solve any issues on the player side.

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Lost my faith in Webber now. Doesn't he know he just has to set offer to 'non-negotiable' with a decision deadline of one week? And making sure the contract status is set to 'first team' would easily solve any issues on the player side.

He also needs to be sure they have never had an injury and/or won’t get injured when they are here…it’s all very easy.

Edited by Branston Pickle