hogesar

Championship Strength

Just now, hogesar said:

received_232274842841743.thumb.jpeg.8666bff18a9b43b4d5065ec19e48b56c.jpeg

One of the strongest in a long time in terms of size of clubs etc?

No. Happy-clappy spin. The weakest I have ever seen and if we don't finish at least ten points clear of second place it will be a total disgrace. ATTANASIO OUT!!!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No. Happy-clappy spin. The weakest I have ever seen and if we don't finish at least ten points clear of second place it will be a total disgrace. ATTANASIO OUT!!!

To be serious, it does look - on paper - quite strong. Nice to see Plymouth Argyle back in the Champiosnhip.

• Like 1

Some teams with a wonderful history according to their fans.

There's not a huge amount of quality there though and we might well have a clear winner just like we did this season.

This season showed us that there is no taking for granted and there will be a few worried clubs, including us, who will be looking at a group of teams who will be well favoured.

I mean, it's gonna be pretty even with all the teams taking points from each other so I'm expecting it to be very tough. I'm also expecting anyone of 15 of those teams to be in the mix.

A good open division with the 3 dropping down all needing a rebuild and  those coming up look strongest for some time.

Going to be a battle right through the season just hope we have strengthened where desperately needed. Just clean sheets and a few goals per game will do. 

Come on you yellows

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

received_232274842841743.thumb.jpeg.8666bff18a9b43b4d5065ec19e48b56c.jpeg

One of the strongest in a long time in terms of size of clubs etc?

Definitely tougher than last year. 

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not too many basket cases there. Going to be a really tough season.

Which seems a bit bizarre considering we just finished one of the weakest Championships I can remember. The strength of those three though means it really will be a shock if all three aren’t in the top six, leaving limited spaces for the rest.

This was certainly the year to get out of it (or certaintly get into the playoffs) given the poor standard of league and low number of points required to get 6th place.

An open goal missed.  I can only see mid table at best next season and it will surely be stronger

Oddly I can see Southampton faring the best of the relegated sides

• Like 1

Looking at that line up for the Championship next season I think I will be looking anxiously at the bottom of the table and just pray our name isn't going to appear in the bottom three.

A great deal of work and a good summer is needed.

• Like 1

Lots of wheeling and dealing to be done by all over the summer. Depends who stays and who goes from the relegated teams. As us and Watford proved this year it’s tough to get out of this league. I expect wholesale changes at Leeds and Leicester, Southampton will be a force under Russell Martin. 

If there's ever a season where you'd expect the 3 PL relegation clubs to be in the top 3 this is it. Hard to see past Leicester and Leeds for the top 2, assuming they do keep a core of their squads. 

• Like 1

Leeds will shed most of their better players so will require a complete rebuild, add in needing a new manager and getting the ownership sorted promotion is far from a given, the major plus point is that money won't be an issue.

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Let him get IN first!

It's certainly going to be a very competitive and combative season....I think it's going to be quite a tough one for us....

52 minutes ago, AJ said:

If there's ever a season where you'd expect the 3 PL relegation clubs to be in the top 3 this is it. Hard to see past Leicester and Leeds for the top 2, assuming they do keep a core of their squads. 

I think there will be one maybe two dominant teams, the rest will all take points off each other. I wouldn't rule out Southampton as I have a suspicion they'll manage relegation from the bigtime better.

I wouldn't even bet on Coventry, Middlesbrough and Sunderland being top 6 again.

Our first challenge is to avoid being drawn into a relegation battle, which if we start next season like we finished last, is a possibility.

With our squad that really shouldn't be a concern though if Wagner can get his act together.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I totally disagree on this point.  Leicester's playing squad will get decimated and the basis of the Leeds squad is the one that went up with Bielsa, except they're all older and richer.  Leeds are also a team that resorted to Allardyce so they have no strategy whatsoever - I don't think there's any guarantee for them.  Southampton will do well, and every chance Leicester reinvest well (although it's not a given), but I just can't see it being anything other than a tough transition for Leeds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

They won't though! They will keep the players that nobody from a top league wants. In Leicester's case, they have several out of contract who will leave for nothing.

21 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I totally disagree on this point.  Leicester's playing squad will get decimated and the basis of the Leeds squad is the one that went up with Bielsa, except they're all older and richer.  Leeds are also a team that resorted to Allardyce so they have no strategy whatsoever - I don't think there's any guarantee for them.  Southampton will do well, and every chance Leicester reinvest well (although it's not a given), but I just can't see it being anything other than a tough transition for Leeds.

I think Leicester are the biggest wildcard.

I see what you're saying that the squad could get decimated- but even if they sell Tielemans, Barnes, Maddison, Faes and Ndidi they've still got an awful lot of good players (and will likely have bought in fees of £100m)

With all those players gone they could still line up with a starting XI of...

Ward

Justin, Soyuncu, Souttter, Kristiansen

Soumare, Dewsbury-Hall

Tete, Praet, Ihanacho

Vardy

With players like Amarty, Evans, Mendy, Daka etc on the bench. They'll need more in attacking midfield and lots will depend on their psychology but they have an awful lot of depth in defence and midfield even after sales.  

48 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Let him get IN first!

Why waste time? Bedsheets at the ready!

(Although Attanasio's name will present a challenge to most of them after the much easier to spell "Smith.")

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think Leicester are the biggest wildcard.

I see what you're saying that the squad could get decimated- but even if they sell Tielemans, Barnes, Maddison, Faes and Ndidi they've still got an awful lot of good players (and will likely have bought in fees of £100m)

With all those players gone they could still line up with a starting XI of...

Ward

Justin, Soyuncu, Souttter, Kristiansen

Soumare, Dewsbury-Hall

Tete, Praet, Ihanacho

Vardy

With players like Amarty, Evans, Mendy, Daka etc on the bench. They'll need more in attacking midfield and lots will depend on their psychology but they have an awful lot of depth in defence and midfield even after sales.  

Amarty, Evans, Soyuncu, Mendy, Evans and Bertrand are out of contract. So is Tielemans, so he will leave on a free. As with any relegated club, they will have parachute payments and in their case cash from sales of the likes of Madison, so a quick rebuild is not impossible, but a lot depends, as ever, on good recruitment and good choice of manager + how the players that remain "fancy" the physicality of the Championship.

They could easily be another City or Watford, rather than a Burnley.

image.png.205ac4578730b22d4ad7463bb962ddd2.png

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leicester-city/vertragsende/verein/1003

The chances are all three relegated clubs will have new managers (Soton have already made their choice). Hard to assess how they will do without knowing how good their choices are.

The silver lining for next year is that we won't be a favourite for promotion and more teams will come to Carrow Road on the front foot rather than to defend deep. May suit us better if we can get the ball forward quicker. The start will be crucial.

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The chances are all three relegated clubs will have new managers (Soton have already made their choice). Hard to assess how they will do without knowing how good their choices are.

Martin takes a while to impose his "style" on a club - it took quite a while at both MK at Swansea, but if he gets the time expect Soton to come a on a late run next season for the play-offs. 

Leicester will probably do a Burnley. Most commentators expect with their churn in playing staff, as well as management, that they will struggle but if they make the right managerial appointment they will probably walk the Chumps (I accept that given the choice of Smith that remains a potentially big IF!).

Dirty I can see plummeting right through the Chumps back to League 1 again. Even at their best in the EPL two seasons ago there were issues behind the scenes, which have really come to the fore in recent months. There is still an issue over ownership which now relegation has arrived will be even more difficult to resolve.

21 minutes ago, Grick said:

The silver lining for next year is that we won't be a favourite for promotion and more teams will come to Carrow Road on the front foot rather than to defend deep. May suit us better if we can get the ball forward quicker. The start will be crucial.

Yep, this. We'll be, as they say, 'under the radar', much as we were in 2018/19. Other Championship clubs as well as all the pressure and expectation will focus on Southampton, Leicester, Leeds as well as 'Michael Carrick's Middlesbrough' and some of the other bigger clubs-Sunderland especially. We won't be seen as a big scalp anymore. It may help. 

The only thing we know about next season as far as City are concerned is that it cannot possibly be such a gawd awful experience as the last one has been.

Being optimistic I feel that we still have enough residue, as a club and in the squad, left from our recent Premier League ventures to be in the mix.

I realise that some forebode a relegation battle based upon our dismal end to last season, but neither Webberism nor Wagnerism at their worst could possibly repeat that.

Big Stu should get something right in the transfer market due to the law of averages whilst the manager will have free rein to impose his own style (whatever that is) on the training ground. The latest coach seems a promising addition and Wagner cannot possibly be as ineffective as that again.

Edited by BroadstairsR