mr footy

Best goal scorer in Norwich shirt

We’ve had some great strikers. Mark Robins is my fave though - really rounded striker, playing in arguably our most successful era. 

In terms of being prolific, in my lifetime of watching Norwich, it must be Pukki. If not then must be Holt. 

Sutton, Bellamy, Earnshaw and Ashton were all also decent. If the latter hadn’t have got injured he would have likely been an established England striker. Albeit not with us. 

Edited by S_81

Chris Sutton at his peak was one of the best strikers in the country, nevermind just Norwich.

• Like 1

Speaking of strikers - Carlton Morris likely to be Luton’s no9 next season. Other than when we’ve given some brief pitch time to the likes of Idah and Ryan Jarvis - when was the last time that we developed a youth no9 who has gone on to be a premier league striking starter?  Bellamy!? 

Ted Macdougall was the first player that came to mind as soon as I saw the thread title.  Holt was a goal machine too, difficult to separate them, Pukki didn't seem as clinical as either of them, although stats may say something different.  One on ones you would back Macdougall and Holt to score, Pukki, for all his great goals amd brilliance as a team player, you could never be quite sure!

• Like 3

I don’t know how you really quantify ‘best’, but in my time watching Norwich (that I can remember well) Pukki is the most intelligent I’ve ever seen, but Holt was by far the best all round striker, character and goalscorer. The Wes/Holt era was definitely my favourite.

5 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Ted Macdougall with Phil Boyer. 
they would be big money today 

Super super Mac, super super Mac, super super Mac, super Ted Macdougall. The best I have ever seen in  city shirt. As said him and Phil Boyer were  a great partnership. After him Reeves, Sutton, Holt. My all time favourite was David Cross

I believe it has to be Holt but very close second, Pukki, Sutton, Ashton for me and a special mention to the best goal scored at CR Fashanu the best goal I saw IMO at a game.....and I had that track suit the ball boy was wearing as a Christmas present that year!

Edited by Indy

As the title is "best" goalscorer, not most prolific or highest achieving, I would have to give the accolade to Tettey.

In terms of goals to thunderbastard ratio, he is indomitable.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wroxham Bridge said:

What about Ron Davis?

Great player and best header of a ball i have ever seen. Probably the best all round proper centre forward ever to play for us. His greatest days were after he left us for Southampton for a derisory 50k when that lumbering carthorse Wyn Davies went for 60k.

Unforgivable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Holt all day long

Honourable mentions for pukki and fleck

Didn't you see the above FF? 

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Flecky 

These things are always subjective and normally influenced by recency bias.

Kevin Drinkell was my favourite as a kid taking over from Dixie Deehan, then we had Fleck, Sutton, Robins; honourable mention for Efan who had a decent GTG ratio that, of course, was healthily assisted by his Everton exploits.

Iwan, Hucks, Ashton… Earnie was our only threat for a whole season and then we’ve had Holt and Pukki. Not sure I could pick one.

Through all that time though, the one I’d have trusted most to finish a 1v1 would have been Craig Bellamy. Unless it was from the spot.. 

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Ernie was prolific ..... he didn't stay for long though,

27 in 45 = 0.6

Agree. He was prolific the short time he was with us. Gutted he moved on when did.

12 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Wynton Rufer probably the best player we’ve had who you’ve never heard of. Signed by Ken Brown in 82, never played a game ended up at Werder Bremen win the bundasliga, won the German cup, won the cup winners cup and was top scorer in the champions league in 93/94. 

Yes my memories as a kid of mid/ late 80s to pre Mike Walker was matches where we created loads of chances, Fleck netting one in four and the opposition getting a lucky point. We’d have maybe gone even further with Rufer? 

12 minutes ago, Jezzard said:

Yes my memories as a kid of mid/ late 80s to pre Mike Walker was matches where we created loads of chances, Fleck netting one in four and the opposition getting a lucky point. We’d have maybe gone even further with Rufer? 

I had to google it but apparently we signed him to a contract only for him to be denied a work permit. What could have been. 

13 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Super Mac!

16285-zoom.jpg

1) Yes, Ted for me as the ‘best goalscorer’ and as others have said so ably assisted by the superb Phil Boyer. What a great pairing they were.

2) The next best for me Pukki and Holt =

4) Chris Sutton

5) Kevin Drinkell 

6) Hugh Curran - but I was still at primary school and may be somewhat immature/misplaced in my opinion 

13 hours ago, Wroxham Bridge said:

What about Ron Davis?

Exactly, the best centre forward to wear the yellow and green.  No wonder Sir Matt Busby described him as the best centre forward in Europe. The rest are mere supporting cast.

Best for me is Sutton - Ashton - Bellamy - Holt - Pukki - Fleck. In that order, with Sutton being considerably better than the rest in my opinion.  I cannot comment on players any further back than that, as my memory only goes as far back as about 1990, when I started to be interested in football.

It should be noted that "Best" and "Favourite" are different questions. For me, Sutton is the best, but favourite striker is Grant Holt, without any hesitation.

Edited by All the Germans

A lot of the names mentioned are sadly before my time to see in action in the flesh, and therefore other than clips I've never seen them play enough to give a valid opinion on them. Personally, at his best Pukki has to be one of the best natural goal scorers we've ever had, and consistently too even in some very poor top flight squads he achieved double figures.

Holt is certainly up there too, but he was far more bullish. Pukki was an artist.