tsj1999

Aarons replacement

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Judging on how Omobamidele has been talked about by Webber I suspect he'll stay and be partnered with Duffy/Gibson. I assume Webber / Wagner will want to keep the core of team.

Which bit of "If we start here on September 1 with Andrew, I’d be very surprised" gives you the suspicion he'll stay? 😂

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Which bit of "If we start here on September 1 with Andrew, I’d be very surprised" gives you the suspicion he'll stay? 😂

He's trying to just drum up interest. I wouldn't be fussed if he left for the amounts touted, but I could also see him being coupled with Duffy for experience.

18 hours ago, Mike w said:

He is not a full back and I have said before that as he likes to attack rather than defend, should have played further up pitch.

Think he shirks responsibility when defending and backs off too much through a fear of being beaten, also lacks the conviction in going forwards through risk of losing the ball. 

He's spent here, a much better player exists when willing to take risks.  but for us he's been in self preservation mode for 2 seasons now, needs a move where he's around better players and not in a team who's own supporters are clawing for scapegoats each week.

Only in that scenario will you see the real Max Aarons.

Edited by Google Bot

59 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Or a defensive midfielder, or another centre half. 

It's all part of a bigger picture which kind of hinges on us getting £20m for Omobamidele.

I’d love to see who is going to pay that 😂

18 hours ago, Mike w said:

He is not a full back and I have said before that as he likes to attack rather than defend, should have played further up pitch.

It is very symptomatic of the Norwich malaise that they always go for playmakers as defenders rather than having hardcore backs who will simply take no prisoners. That is why you then need to have two Skipps sitting in front of the back four because as defenders the defenders are not up to it. It has always been like this since John Bond onwards. Even when the club finished third in the first EPL season they let in more than they scored, including seven at Blackburn. Soft underbelly is in the Canary DNA.

49 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Think he shirks responsibility when defending and backs off too much through a fear of being beaten, also lacks the conviction in going forwards through risk of losing the ball. 

He's spent here, a much better player exists when willing to take risks.  but for us he's been in self preservation mode for 2 seasons now, needs a move where he's around better players and not in a team who's own supporters are clawing for scapegoats each week.

Only in that scenario will you see the real Max Aarons.

Yes fully agree

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

It is very symptomatic of the Norwich malaise that they always go for playmakers as defenders rather than having hardcore backs who will simply take no prisoners. That is why you then need to have two Skipps sitting in front of the back four because as defenders the defenders are not up to it. It has always been like this since John Bond onwards. Even when the club finished third in the first EPL season they let in more than they scored, including seven at Blackburn. Soft underbelly is in the Canary DNA.

Hmm, Steve Bruce (post Bond signing) as playmaker? Then Malky as well? Must have missed both of them... 🙂 

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

He's trying to just drum up interest. I wouldn't be fussed if he left for the amounts touted, but I could also see him being coupled with Duffy for experience.

Do you not see how taking steps to actively sell a player is not a cause to suspect he'll stay?

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

Love it. 

As Bryan Clough once said ..... oh! Can't remember. He said a lot of things.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I see Fankaty Dabo has been released from Coventry, I seem to remember there have been murmurs about him the past few years (not sure it's that's fan-led or paper talk though) 

I could probably see us filling the gap with a player like him.

• Like 1

What fee do people think we're likely to get for Max?

I think defensively we'll really appreciate a taller player at full-back but we do have to ensure as a team we have enough creativity and attacking talent to make up for the loss of Max in the final third (even if his stats / output haven't been superb)

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think defensively we'll really appreciate a taller player at full-back but we do have to ensure as a team we have enough creativity and attacking talent to make up for the loss of Max in the final third (even if his stats / output haven't been superb)

Given his contract situation and unless there is a sudden (and seemingly unlikely) bidding war, I'm not sure we could expect any more than £8m.  Possibly not even that - I think we'd have had (and accepted) offers in the £10-15m region before now if we were going to get them.  I actually don't think he'll go to an English club either - I don't think he is quite in that top 6 club bracket of players, and i suspect that his physical limitations may limit interest from mid to low-end Premiership sides.  Perhaps someone will look on him as a bargain squad player with resale value, but I think he'll end up on the continent somewhere (cue news of a £15m bid from Spurs or similar ...)

Aarons more than most (other than Teemu) seems to have suffered from the change in playing styles.  Under Farke he was very much a give and go kind of fullback who linked well in little triangles with teammates in relatively close proximity rather than one who would necessarily always try to dribble past and beat a defender 1 on 1 (unless in the box,) but we just haven't had that synchronicity in midfield over the last two managers.  His attacking input over the past couple of seasons seems to follow a familiar trend of running 20 yards up the right hand side of the pitch, slowing down as there are no options forward, turning inside and running about 10 yards infield looking for pass before giving it back to a central defender.  There was a point mid-season where it seemed to happen like clockwork every time he had the ball.

He would do well in a more technical league where teams are more set up to get the most out of him offensively but aren't quite as likely to target him aerially.  Wherever it is, I hope he gets a good move.  He deserves it.

Perhaps a move abroad. To one of the 'lesser lights' who will give him Champions League Football. Ending up at Palace or Brentford would seem a 'failure', much as with Maddison at Leicester. Either way, I doubt there's any supporter who doesn't wish him well, wherever he ends up.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I feel like his height is so overstated by Norwich fans, you'd think teams play it long targeting him week after week but I just don't ever recall that being the case.

On 30/05/2023 at 16:05, Barham Blitz said:

Aarons more than most (other than Teemu) seems to have suffered from the change in playing styles.  Under Farke he was very much a give and go kind of fullback who linked well in little triangles with teammates in relatively close proximity rather than one who would necessarily always try to dribble past and beat a defender 1 on 1 (unless in the box,) but we just haven't had that synchronicity in midfield over the last two managers.  His attacking input over the past couple of seasons seems to follow a familiar trend of running 20 yards up the right hand side of the pitch, slowing down as there are no options forward, turning inside and running about 10 yards infield looking for pass before giving it back to a central defender.  There was a point mid-season where it seemed to happen like clockwork every time he had the ball.

Agree totally.

• Like 1