cambridgeshire canary

Todays Premier League relegation battle

What I want?  Leicester to win and stay up. 
What I expect?  Everton to get a win and stay safe.

Whichever, I think Leeds will go down.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Are we still at the level where we want the team who represents the most possible threat to our ambitions next season (probably Everton) to avoid the drop or has Webberism seen us become so far down the pecking order that it has become irrelevant?

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What I want?  Leicester to win and stay up. 
What I expect?  Everton to get a win and stay safe.

Whichever, I think Leeds will go down.

Everton have stolen a living in the EPL for too long now, better teams have been relegated in the past. I'm sick of hearing how they're one of, if not the only teams never to have been relegated. 

A swarmy club who I expect will mysteriously survive again this year. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Hammers to hammer Leicester please. Rodgers deserved the sack but to replace him Smith was suicidal.

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Leeds have little chance only an Everton loss and a Leicester loss or draw will do.

Everton or Leicester normally would hope for Leicester but the 15% maddison sell on fee probable anyway but certain with relegation make me hope for Everton to stay up.

If Leicester go down, Maddison will definitely leave which should mean some windfall for us, with Newcastle interested. 

Prefer to see Everton go down with Leeds, but the money would be good. 

Edited by crab man

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Are we still at the level where we want the team who represents the most possible threat to our ambitions next season (probably Everton) to avoid the drop or has Webberism seen us become so far down the pecking order that it has become irrelevant?

Webber managed to oversee us finishing in thdme bottom half of dreadful league behind the likes of preston swansea coventry and millwall,  so I'm not sure whether its everton or leicester would really affect us

I'm just hoping theres 3 worse teams next season

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Webber managed to oversee us finishing in thdme bottom half of dreadful league behind the likes of preston swansea coventry and millwall,  so I'm not sure whether its everton or leicester would really affect us

I'm just hoping theres 3 worse teams next season

There already comfortably is

21 minutes ago, crab man said:

If Leicester go down, Maddison will definitely leave which should mean some windfall for us, with Newcastle interested. 

Prefer to see Everton go down with Leeds, but the money would be good. 

He'll be leaving no matter what happens today, probably why he's looked like he doesn't really care lately.

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

He'll be leaving no matter what happens today, probably why he's looked like he doesn't really care lately.

His contract expires June 2024 so you're right, he will be going. I have a nasty feeling that relegation will force them to take a lower offer

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sitting here right now, the only teams I would say we would certaintly finish above are Rotherham Huddersfield Birmingham and Cardiff. If Sheff Weds go up tomorrow, I wouldnt even guarantee the 3 promoted teams.

As for the likes if Stoke Hull ,Bristol City and QPR I wouldnt put any money on it

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I think all 3 teams will win today as all home with crowd behind them. Think we would have better chance of beating Everton next season than other two.   

All 3 of them would be absolutely fine next season if they get relegated and would probably have their most enjoyable season in ages. You stick any of those sides in this division and they'd walk it. It does make me laugh that all their fans are acting like the sky is going to fall in, Everton fans in particular. It's different if you get relegated abjectly and are a really poor side because it's easy to go on a downward spiral when the momentum is against you but all 4 bottom sides are good teams with a lot of money behind them, it was just an extremely tough league this year with Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest over performing. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Imagine Leeds, Leicester and Southampton fans were fairly confident of that too this year.

I don’t expect us to be in a relegation fight, it’s not likely IMO, but it’s certainly not impossible if things slide like they did in the last 11 games.

Edited by Monty13

4 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

All 3 of them would be absolutely fine next season if they get relegated and would probably have their most enjoyable season in ages. You stick any of those sides in this division and they'd walk it. It does make me laugh that all their fans are acting like the sky is going to fall in, Everton fans in particular. It's different if you get relegated abjectly and are a really poor side because it's easy to go on a downward spiral when the momentum is against you but all 4 bottom sides are good teams with a lot of money behind them, it was just an extremely tough league this year with Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest over performing. 

If Leicester go down they will lose Maddison, Ndidi, Barnes and Tielemens. Because they have severe FFP problems and the money from those sales would have to be used to repay loans, they would be up **** creek without a paddle. The problem doesn't end there. Vardy is on £120k a week and doesn't have a relegation clause in his contract which still has a year to run. 

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Imagine Leeds, Leicester and Southampton fans were fairly confident of that too this year.

I don’t expect us to be in a relegation fight, it’s not likely IMO, but it’s certainly not impossible if things slide like they did in the last 11 games.

Leeds and Southampton would've been naive to think so, I expected them both to be well in the relegation dogfight. My predictions to go down at the start of the season were Bournemouth and Fulham (miles off with those two) and then one of Leeds or Southampton (looks like it will be both).

Leicester, however, are one of the biggest surprises in many years. I don't think anyone expected them to be anywhere a relegation battle. 

As for today, I expect both Everton and Leicester to win their games, but Leeds to lose theirs. So Everton to survive, for me.

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If Leicester go down they will lose Maddison, Ndidi, Barnes and Tielemens. Because they have severe FFP problems and the money from those sales would have to be used to repay loans, they would be up **** creek without a paddle. The problem doesn't end there. Vardy is on £120k a week and doesn't have a relegation clause in his contract which still has a year to run. 

Tielemans is out of contract, as is Soyuncu. They're both going, regardless of what happens today.

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not making predictions like that this summer. Said pretty much the same thing about Burnley last year.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Leeds and Southampton would've been naive to think so, I expected them both to be well in the relegation dogfight. My predictions to go down at the start of the season were Bournemouth and Fulham (miles off with those two) and then one of Leeds or Southampton (looks like it will be both).

Leicester, however, are one of the biggest surprises in many years. I don't think anyone expected them to be anywhere a relegation battle. 

As for today, I expect both Everton and Leicester to win their games, but Leeds to lose theirs. So Everton to survive, for me.

I meant of them all going down but I get your point. It’s certainly more likely for one of those to get relegated from the PL than us from the Champs, everything out of the top 6-8 teams or so becomes essentially one big relegation fight anyway. I just imagine with upcoming teams they would have fancied their chances of avoiding the maybe one expected spot left by a dark horse promoted team, yet all those teams have stayed up comfortably in the end.

I don’t think we’ll get relegated next year, it’s highly unlikely and I think we have more than enough about us as a club that it should not to be a possibility. That said I thought we had more than enough about us this year for a playoff place.

We have been on a downward trend, we’ve lost really good players and likely will lose more. I’m feeling pretty confident we’ll do ok this summer given the plan and have a decent season to be fair, I’m just not sure it’s wise to dismiss the possibility out of hand. 

I understand they have a ton of injuries, but Everton have selected three centre backs, three wingers and four central midfielders today. I'm guessing one of the wingers will be a false nine and they'll go with a 3-4-2-1, but it's not ideal to be forced into something like this in such a huge match. I still think they'll do enough to survive.

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Leeds already 1-0 down...

Edit: VAR checking...goal stands!

OTBC

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of fans or manager.

• Haha 1

Leeds are definitely going down. They have to win, playing Spurs who still have the possibility of a Europa Conference League spot to play for, require Leicester to drop points, and with the worst GD would have to win by a 3 goal margin if Everton draw. Although West Ham will probably put out a weakened side as with nothing to play for I think they are probably focusing solely on the Europa Conference League final, Leicester still have to win but with the best GD just require Everton to drop points, although Everton are playing Bournemouth who also have nothing to play for

To be honest I think really it’s probably 50/50 between Leicester and Everton

Edited by HazzaJet