Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Nunez

Not exactly the hottest gossip, but I heard it on very good authority that he absolutely smashed everyone else in the squad out of the park with his results and output at the end of season physiology tests that the club arranged at the UEA a couple of weeks ago.

Got a feeling he could come good.

He's more likely to come good if he's played further forward. He's wasted as a deep-lying playmaker as he's not got the defensive nous, or we don't have enough defensive nous in the midfield structure.

• Like 2

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

He's more likely to come good if he's played further forward. He's wasted as a deep-lying playmaker as he's not got the defensive nous, or we don't have enough defensive nous in the midfield structure.

Agree with this. Would like to see him played as an attacking midfielder more often.

Always going to take these guys the best part of a season to adjust. I expect to see him firing after pre season. People are too quick to write off these players who are always going to take some time to adapt the english game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just not as a winger!!!!

Would love to see him come good due to his positive outward personality... I just hope he has the talent as a footballer.

He's yet another who's progression will hinge on actually solving our defensive midfield issue.

A proper DM next to Sara as a double pivot with Nunez playing further forward sounds like a dangerous trio. 

• Like 1

It's a bit odd in that he took to our football like a duck to water, looked a a PL player, then something happened (was he injured) & wasn't the same again. Hopefully Wagner can find his correct position, because he has the ability, no doubt about it.

Actually Webber said something interesting during his pinkun interview saying Nunez has now played for 18 months straight and was even playing friendlies in South America during the World Cup break.  It’s no surprise it was diminishing returns as the season progressed. The guy needs a proper break.

But yes I agree the guy doesn’t really have a defined role. Personally I would stick him on the right wing with a pacy full back overlapping.

I’ve always thought he was burned out and maybe a bit homesick 

sure like sara and a few others once he has a preseason behind him he’ll be firing again next season 

Seems like a top bloke too 

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Actually Webber said something interesting during his pinkun interview saying Nunez has now played for 18 months straight and was even playing friendlies in South America during the World Cup break.  It’s no surprise it was diminishing returns as the season progressed. The guy needs a proper break.

But yes I agree the guy doesn’t really have a defined role. Personally I would stick him on the right wing with a pacy full back overlapping.

Webber said lots of interesting things. In passing also mentioned divorcees in the snakepit and that he didn't enjoy women's football.

It's a wonder Oliveira hasn't had an airing yet. Why did Webber and Davitt find it funny that he may be rattling the doors?

So if our midfield is McLean, Sara and a new badly needed DM, where does Nunez fit in?

I'm far from convinced he does more than Kenny or Sara.

He might be one for the bench.

There might be new signings too. And whatever team starts the first game is rarely the one that works best in the coming season. It's a squad game now, not first eleven plus reserves.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So if our midfield is McLean, Sara and a new badly needed DM, where does Nunez fit in?

I'm far from convinced he does more than Kenny or Sara.

He might be one for the bench.

I’d say back up for whatever 10 we bring in is where he will be in the squad

He can play in 4 man midfiels if we ditch 343, we have looked awful since beginning of last PL season when this system first used.

He did look jaded, and understandable having played so much, but I think he also suffered from the negative atmosphere. Some players feel it more than others.

The sort of player a few big characters in the Barnes visage could help to keep smiling, because when he first came in he looked excellent. Then a few weeks of getting battered in Championshup central midfield and the turning tide seemed to put the spark out for Nunez.

Personally, I always thought he looks ready-made for exactly the role Emi had with us. 

• Like 2

Thought he was excellent against Cardiff when he basically played as a 10 in a 4231 with Sara and McClean behind I think.

Thought that was the start of something. Then he was dropped for Millwall which given the result no complaints about but then I don’t remember seeing that same lineup/formation again.

Edited by Monty13

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Personally, I always thought he looks ready-made for exactly the role Emi had with us

I thought that initially - it would certainly seem to suit his skill set - but I think he played that role a couple of times without really pulling up any trees. I think the role changed a little bit into more of an out and out wide player under Smith and Wagner than the inside forward role that Emi had under Farke.

He was mainly a central midfielder - generally to the right of a midfield 3 - at his previous club with a few forays at RW and RB.  But I'm not sure you could have both him and Sara in the same midfield without a pretty amazing CDM to cover the gaping holes that would result ...

That said, he looked impressive early on.  More so than Sara to be fair.  It very much depends on how we set up next season as to whether he is likely to come good as a starting player I suspect.

Let’s not forget his free kicks. 

Which is a huge improvement over Emi.

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

There might be new signings too. And whatever team starts the first game is rarely the one that works best in the coming season. It's a squad game now, not first eleven plus reserves.

Spot on ,right on the money 💰 nutty. It's a changed game. Remember when five subs were brought in the amount of negativity from some was hilarious.  Its been like this in many other countries  for quite a while. Yes its a squad game now. The first eleven does not real ly exist anymore. It's the first sixteen now. Reserves is almost a redundant word in top class football. In theory everyone of that sixteen are on an equal footing. Tactics.

• Like 1