lake district canary

Webber's appeal to the fans

"Meet us half way, give us a chance".  

In other words he wants the negativity shelved and for fans to give it a bit of time for things to work. He agrees that it starts with the team on the pitch but all he is asking for is for people to give them a chance.  You might think he's had that chance, but he isn't going anywhere, Wagner isn't going anywhere, a lot of the players aren't going anywhere.

So will you? Do we?  For all my disappointment of the Farke sacking, the drudgery of Smith and the fall off of form under Wagner, I could do that. easy for me of course, not attending many matches, but as fans who go regularly to matches, when is CR going to become that place where opposing teams are intimidated by the atmosphere, rather than the other way round, with the home team getting affected so easily?

Contrary to what some people think, I have been at CR many times over the years and know first hand how negative it can be going to a match.  Sometimes it comes across as just indifference or apathy, sometimes as anger - and I've heard players abused - a few that come to mind - Surman, Wilbraham and Morrison, all horribly abused and some more obvious more recent ones which you will all be aware of.

So what will it take for you to shelve your negativity?  I don't mean change of owners, change the SD, change the manager, change the players....I mean what would it take for YOU to do that?  It involves a change of attitude and the willingness to get off the bandwagon of negativity that pervades twittter and other social media and spills over into matches. Could you do that? 

I think usually fans come into each new season with a sense of hope. Atmosphere is often at its best day one where anything is possible.

Two or three signings that address key weaknesses, maybe a couple of solid pre season results to get excited about and I'm sure Carrow Road will be buzzing for the first game. At that point we need to the team to do their part and give the fans hope that can be sustained past August.

• Like 5

I think they're clearly trying to remedy it by resolving something of a lack of experience and leadership in the team, building a new spine for the youngsters to build around and especially as Hanley's not going to be near the team until presumably the middle of the season. We'll have much more of an idea by early July re. which players have come through the door and indeed who has gone, but I'm not really a fan who tends to negativity.

I've said before that if we're going to play full-on Wagner style at Huddersfield, Wagner needs a clean pre-season with the team to get their fitness right up to par. It seems like he's brought back double training sessions that Smith got rid of, and that Farke used. Changing to such a hard-pressing style mid-season is always a tough ask and it does explain why we looked decent in patches during games, then poor as we couldn't keep the intensity up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

So what will it take for you to shelve your negativity?

Don't have any negativity, it's all good for me and already looking forward to the season ahead.

May have a few choice words if I hear people moaning and implying that they 'have' to go as they hold a season ticket though, currently at the point where I can't be appeasing that twatty attitude. 

But I think it's due to reading so many OTT d**khead posts on here since the season ended.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

This isn’t new - it’s from his interviews posted last week…we’re going to get endless rehashes and ‘new’ stories based on it.

Eddie Howe said last night that their success was down to the unity in the club, between the owners,  staff & supporters.. without it you achieve nothing.

I'd meet Webber half way  but I doubt he would..

Anyway, new season, new hope....

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think they're clearly trying to remedy it by resolving something of a lack of experience and leadership in the team, building a new spine for the youngsters to build around and especially as Hanley's not going to be near the team until presumably the middle of the season. We'll have much more of an idea by early July re. which players have come through the door and indeed who has gone, but I'm not really a fan who tends to negativity.

I've said before that if we're going to play full-on Wagner style at Huddersfield, Wagner needs a clean pre-season with the team to get their fitness right up to par. It seems like he's brought back double training sessions that Smith got rid of, and that Farke used. Changing to such a hard-pressing style mid-season is always a tough ask and it does explain why we looked decent in patches during games, then poor as we couldn't keep the intensity up.

I think you’re pretty much right. I don’t really have an issue personally with the laid out plan, I may not agree entirely with the approach but it makes sense and at least there is a pretty clear one.

I’ll be excited by new signings and for the new seasons regardless of anything else, as a supporter its always a fun hopeful time. Post the summer and those first 10 or so games we’ll have an idea of how well it’s gone.

The negativity comes not just from the performances of the last two seasons, but also from the logically justifiable fear of where the club might well be headed. Not sure that the fans can do much except hope for the best - without being provided with a reason for optimism by the club - that's just human nature.

But to listen to all the cr@p from Webber, he's doing exactly the opposite of what's required, the only way the fans can meet him half way is to do exactly the opposite of what he wants the fans to do.

24 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Eddie Howe said last night that their success was down to the unity in the club, between the owners,  staff & supporters.. without it you achieve nothing.

The summer does give an opportunity to reset - be it the players, refreshing the squad or supporters having a (largely welcome!) break from what we’ve seen this season.

We do need to give them a chance, I don’t really see what the alternative is. It is certainly true that the entire feel of the place is improved when there is a sense of unity (which is all very easy when things are going well).

Edit: reading what Cowboy above says, suggests many have only read the headlines rather than listening to the interviews. That is fair enough, they are pretty long, but in not doing so you miss a large part of what he was saying - that it is totally down to them, they know they haven’t done well enough.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

"Meet us half way, give us a chance".  

Am I in a time warp? Is this an old quote from 2018?

Since then we’ve had two stellar season and three abject ones. And two abject ones in a row. No one has an answer for why giving this regime another chance would be any different, just empty words and blind faith.

I’d say the current regime need to go more than halfway but Webbers comments to media don’t suggest he has any interest in getting closer to fans (ha!)

I accept that our DoF certainly isn't here to be adored....but he's certainly succeeding in being abhorred....

41 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Nothing to do with them winning then.

The change at Carrow Road during the 18/19 season was all because the team started winning. In the Aug/Sept the atmosphere was awful with players being booed during the game. Farke's football was supposedly rubbish and Webber was clueless. Then we started winning and Farke was on a horse with all those flags and banners suddenly appearing.

There's no chicken or egg argument to be had. Only when the team is winning do the club and fans unite. And not surprisingly the more often they win the stronger the bond becomes.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Well , that and the players like Trippier that they were able to get in to keep them up because they are owned by the Saudi government who , according to the Press  

flexed that financial muscle in the January 2022 transfer window, spending more than any other team in Europe”  

It will be a big season next what with competing against the scum again. Maybe that rivalry will help galvanise the fanbase.

I like to think I'm not negative in the ground anyway, I mean what's the point of shelling out all that money and then sit there being miserable and moaning? As far as I can see it's more of an issue at Carrow Rd than away fans.

I couldn't give a **** really what Webber comes out with, I'll still be supporting NCFC long after he's gone, but he does need to engage brain a bit how he communicates with the fanbase. 

I'm already looking forward to next season and we'll need the support more than ever. 

A message to all the casuals - get yourself down to Carrow Rd at least once next season and give us a hand. You never know you might enjoy it!

OTBC.

52 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

And with wins you achieve all of the aforementioned.   Howe's done a great job, but we saw first had what the cash injection done to them, they were at the bottom with us and one of the teams we'd be looking at taking 3 pts from.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Lakey we both know the answer...

Only if we win enough games.

Same as it always was.

Nutty is totally right 

We get off to a good start some good signings and everyone will be looking ahead again 

Lose a few and Wagner does no improve Results we are in for a long old season ,

A real crossroads for the club was last season just a bad season or was it the new norm ? 

I do not think Webber or Wagner will last the  season if it is the same as last season 

Chicken and egg though. What comes first; support or results?

Leeds have been dire all season but inside Elland Rd they are generally behind the team during the game. I'd say the same with Newcastle fans even when they were ****.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

It makes me smile when people are pointing to Newcastle as a model to follow. I think if you have owners with unbelievable amounts of money who get in a sensible manager and the club spends wisely to make shrewd signings from the top drawer then it’s pretty easy for the staff and supporters to be happy.

It could easily go wrong if they decide to start getting in primadonnas like Neymar.

The team will get 45 minutes in my opinion at best.

It is what it is.

I thought his appeal was fair for its worth.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

This second paragraph is absolutely spot-on. And if it doesn't work out, and Wagner gets the chop, then we absolutely need more stylistic consistency with the following appointment. Another knee-jerk lurch out of line as with the Farke-to-Smith debacle, and we could end up in a right pickle.

I expect to see a motivated, super-fit and front-foot pressing team out there at the start of next season, and that should be enough to get the fans back on side. I don't think anyone is expecting us to be topping the table, but the style of football will be very important as well as the obvious impact of points on the board.

Air of DARVO about this. 

Maybe change the slogan on the dressing room door, for starters. 

Absolutely take Nutty's point that it's going to depend on the sort of start the team makes. Start well, and the atmosphere will improve. A poor start on the back of three consecutive poor seasons at CR with fans in the ground, and everyone's patience will be pretty thin.

The one thing I'd add, though, is that there is a sense of a new era beginning, lots of player turnover and a move away from Farkeball. It's really something that should have happened last summer. But I think it was a mistake for the noise coming out of the club last summer to be all about an immediate bounce-back to the PL. I think the fans are more likely to be patient if it's clear that there is an attempt to build something new. A huge amount of the frustration with Smith's team was the sense (whether it was fair or not) that this should be a top-two team that was just floundering. If there's an assumption next season that we're building something, and that it might take a while, I think the fans might be a bit more tolerant of a slow start.

• Like 1

Fans turn up week on week and cheer on our side. Even if dross is offered up. Webber needs to pipe down his noise - apologise for his role in wasting our budget - and prove the doubters wrong regarding whether he can improve us now from whatever is available. 
He also needs to understand that criticism of him isn’t the same thing as fans criticising the players. 
Day one of the season there will be full support for our players on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

It seems like he's brought back double training sessions that Smith got rid of, and that Farke used. 

Hadn't heard this before. My opinion of Smith just went down even more. 

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Lakey we both know the answer...

Only if we win enough games.

Same as it always was.

I think it's more than that. Alex Neil found that the Norwich crowd went all subdued too easily when things didn't go how it wanted. John Bond used to urge the crowd to sing more than they did. When I first started going to matches, rounds of applause were the main crowd response to good play.  Comedians performing at the Theatre Royal used to think Norwich audiences didn't like them because of a seeming lack of reaction.  That is ancient history, but is there still an element of that at CR?  If so, then we need the manager to encourage fans to get more involved. Farke was brilliant at that. 

I take the point that winning will help, but it feels as if the fans want - or maybe need - more than that.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

The reality is he's not going anywhere until he chooses to, Wagner is here for the start of next season regardless, we ain't getting any big money takeover this summer and as said we're likely to sell our better players to fund the rebuild. It's going to be a challenging summer we all knew that.

To meet them half way is up to each supporter, it's their prerogative as the paying customer, but the reality as Nutty said is on performance on the pitch, not even winning every week but to see structure, effort and passion might be a start. I believe it will depent on who they bring in to replace those leaving, Barnes is a start for a backbone in the squad, leadership we are lacking and to help develop the younger players, but I hope we sign a few with a little bit more about them in the positions we are lacking in. I heard last night that Hanley might be out for the full season when recovery is considered, not sure how accurate that is as it was just gossip at the five aside last night. But if Omobamadele goes we need at least 2 CB's.

I don't think Webber is the monster some make him out to be and Wanger fits our club, so I would be happy to see where we go start of next season and to be honest I don't blame an employee like Webber, it's down to the owners to apply pressure and targets for the performance and if they are not met then it's up to them to sack him! It shouldn't be down to the fans, but I'm fully behind the fans letting them know with chants at the ground if it's not working next season.

Long summer ahead and I don't know how the squad will look come August.

• Like 1