cambridgeshire canary

"'You're living in a fantasy"- Webber defends recruitment

Onwards and Upwards....Prudence with Ambition....and the main priority is to recruit players (over 30) with exceptionally long surnames, so as to boost the club coffers using the back of the shirt printing in the club shop....£2.50 per letter....

Let's turn them pennies into pounds!....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are copying Webber. Go off piste and blame the posters.

This has nothing to do with an office or factory environment whasoever. It is totally different. In the main, Companies rely on customers and no matter how they react to their own staff, they try avoiding upsetting their customers. Webber just tries to tell us we are stupid, don't understand and he did a brilliant job in recruting Rashica, PLM, Normann, Tzolis, Sargent, Hayden, Dowell, Byram, Gibson, Gilmour, Kabak, Sinani and now Nunez.

I respect you do not like too much criticism of the club because you believe its unwarranted. But for goodness sake, look at that list and tell me the successes.

I agree with this. As the old classic phrase goes, ‘Actions speak louder than words. Results even louder.’ As a lot of senior leaders do, they speak themselves up and are masters of talking around their flaws or faults. But in a results-based industry, there is no escaping failure. The key is to acknowledge it and learn from it, so you can improve. Supreme Commander Webber is the typical ‘I do no wrong’ character, with the view that everyone else is a lesser entity and has no place to dare criticise. I disagree, for the situation is now clear to see.

I guess the true failure is getting us in a situation where, through cronyism/nepotism and not keeping business non-conflicted, he’s acting unaccountably and, thus, is effectively untouchable.

That’s also the joy of discussion and debate. We all have an opinion and it’s a forum.

• Like 1

Bunch of pant wetting snow flakes on here, taking offense to everything he says. Happy to dish out the abuse but can't take it. 
How about let him get on with the job. He's never going to get every decision 100%.
The alternative is far worse. Neil Adams as sporting director? No thank you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are copying Webber. Go off piste and blame the posters.

This has nothing to do with an office or factory environment whasoever. It is totally different. In the main, Companies rely on customers and no matter how they react to their own staff, they try avoiding upsetting their customers. Webber just tries to tell us we are stupid, don't understand and he did a brilliant job in recruting Rashica, PLM, Normann, Tzolis, Sargent, Hayden, Dowell, Byram, Gibson, Gilmour, Kabak, Sinani and now Nunez.

I respect you do not like too much criticism of the club because you believe its unwarranted. But for goodness sake, look at that list and tell me the successes.

It does, and I am not going "off piste" or blaming posters. I am just highlighting that it is the same people, acting with the same indignation at news that isn't new or as revealing or as shocking as they are attempting to make out.

I can agree with the end desire, I don't have to agree with the, frankly, dull and brainless methods some people wish to employ on their journey there.

Not at all. I like objective criticism because it is clean, succinct and not full of personal insults. As the majority of us on here are above the age of 18 and therefore adults, I would expect it to be a bit more mature. It isn't. It is frankly embarrassing at times. It sure as hell doesn't help us shake off the "little old Norwich" moniker. It also sure as hell doesn't help to unify the supporters - in fact it is divisive.

I have made this point before. The reason there are no proper protests anymore is because people don't have the right "language" for them. It's not about people stamping their feet and shouting random insults. That's just a rabble. Sometimes booze fuelled and no one can take that seriously, especially when half of the participants feel embarrassed the next day.

As for the list of successes - it depends upon how you consider the context. Again, been here before.

- Ajer, Armstrong, Billings and other European targets were all targets ahead of what we signed. We couldn't land them for budget.

I know one European target, name escapes me, was said to be on similar wages to Normann so we missed out on him for not paying him what we ended up paying Normann - but that conveniently leaves out the balance of a transfer fee.

In any case. When you start being objective. PLM was actually one of the better players and when played further forward in the position he was more accustomed too - he looked far better. Success - in that there was clearly quality there, yes. An individual failure? No. I can see why he was signed, he displayed ability.

Normann you could say is similar to PLM, displayed ability and quality. Injury scuppered that and ultimately wasn't as tough as he made himself out to be. Again, you can see why he was signed, the attributes he was signed for.

Byram was signed on our first promotion for very little. A gamble that made sense at the time due to very little budget. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks he is a rubbish player, and at times has looked a cut above the rest. Took a gamble on injuries and it didn't pay off sadly, for him or us. A very different case to the others you list.

Ultimately though, the reason why those players you list are not "successes" is because they haven't been able to play a "tune" together. Sargent is worth his £8m for me. I think he has so far shown that he is a very capable Championship striker. He is still only 23 and as others have pointed out, Holt and Pukki didn't hit their peak until 28. Some could say the same of Woods or Mitrovic in that they haven't been instant hits but got there with persistence.

Like I say, ultimately neither Farke nor Smith could get them playing well enough together to grind out the results needed. Individually though, they represent quality and ability, and have attributes that you can see why they were signed. Bar perhaps one or two, Gilmour, looking at you. 

That happens. Chelsea don't have a crap team, but Potter, despite being a good manager with Brighton, couldn't replicate there despite more resources at his disposal. Again, Lambert is somewhat the same. Never quite managed to get that swagger and energy into another team he has managed since.

As said, not rubbishing people's views that they feel Webber's time is done, just the need they seem to have to make stuff up, direct personal abuse or just say the same thing every day on every thread. Tedious, and repeating it regularly only sounds like one is trying to convince ones self it's true. 

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Onwards and Upwards....Prudence with Ambition....and the main priority is to recruit players (over 30) with exceptionally long surnames, so as to boost the club coffers using the back of the shirt printing in the club shop....£2.50 per letter....

Let's turn them pennies into pounds!....

It does remind me of LMA manager 2001 (I think it was). Gascoigne was available on a free on that and almost guaranteed you promotion. 

I am far from being Webbers biggest fan, but he makes a valid point about losing four experienced players, as ever for me it is not what he says but the way that he says it, if he really wants to be "the better man" as he said in his interview then he needs to rise above the need to have a dig/jibe at fans when making what is an otherwise valid point, there really is no need for it.........

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Imo, Smith was never going to be a good fit. Simply doesn't have the dynamism needed. A Lambert at his best, a Alex Neil at his best, Farke at his best. Smith at his best looked like he needed a hug off someone. Poor choice and I agree with you that it would have been better to give a short term deal to someone who could motivate...or better still, just kept Farke on if there was no-one who could do that. 

We didn't see Smith at his best, that's my point. We saw Lambert, Neil, Worthington, Farke, Walker etc at their best. Some may see it again one day. Smith though, had his best at Villa.

Had he brought that to us, or repeated that with us, I think we'd be reflecting on a very different season.

That's why I say wrong time. He needed time out, or a brief change somewhere first. Reset the batteries. Not sure I think it's a great idea for managers to bounce around like that. That's their choice though. 

7 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I am far from being Webbers biggest fan, but he makes a valid point about losing four experienced players, as ever for me it is not what he says but the way that he says it, if he really wants to be "the better man" as he said in his interview then he needs to rise above the need to have a dig/jibe at fans when making what is an otherwise valid point, there really is no need for it.........

Yep, this.

8 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

But what is the dig/ jibe in this case? It's a throwaway soundbite aimed at nobody. 

Its like if Josh Sargent missed a good chance and I said 'you'd bet your house on Sargent scoring from there' and it being interpreted as an attack on recovering gambling addicts or homeless people.

14 minutes ago, chicken said:

It does, and I am not going "off piste" or blaming posters. I am just highlighting that it is the same people, acting with the same indignation at news that isn't new or as revealing or as shocking as they are attempting to make out.

I can agree with the end desire, I don't have to agree with the, frankly, dull and brainless methods some people wish to employ on their journey there.

Not at all. I like objective criticism because it is clean, succinct and not full of personal insults. As the majority of us on here are above the age of 18 and therefore adults, I would expect it to be a bit more mature. It isn't. It is frankly embarrassing at times. It sure as hell doesn't help us shake off the "little old Norwich" moniker. It also sure as hell doesn't help to unify the supporters - in fact it is divisive.

I have made this point before. The reason there are no proper protests anymore is because people don't have the right "language" for them. It's not about people stamping their feet and shouting random insults. That's just a rabble. Sometimes booze fuelled and no one can take that seriously, especially when half of the participants feel embarrassed the next day.

As for the list of successes - it depends upon how you consider the context. Again, been here before.

- Ajer, Armstrong, Billings and other European targets were all targets ahead of what we signed. We couldn't land them for budget.

I know one European target, name escapes me, was said to be on similar wages to Normann so we missed out on him for not paying him what we ended up paying Normann - but that conveniently leaves out the balance of a transfer fee.

In any case. When you start being objective. PLM was actually one of the better players and when played further forward in the position he was more accustomed too - he looked far better. Success - in that there was clearly quality there, yes. An individual failure? No. I can see why he was signed, he displayed ability.

Normann you could say is similar to PLM, displayed ability and quality. Injury scuppered that and ultimately wasn't as tough as he made himself out to be. Again, you can see why he was signed, the attributes he was signed for.

Byram was signed on our first promotion for very little. A gamble that made sense at the time due to very little budget. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks he is a rubbish player, and at times has looked a cut above the rest. Took a gamble on injuries and it didn't pay off sadly, for him or us. A very different case to the others you list.

Ultimately though, the reason why those players you list are not "successes" is because they haven't been able to play a "tune" together. Sargent is worth his £8m for me. I think he has so far shown that he is a very capable Championship striker. He is still only 23 and as others have pointed out, Holt and Pukki didn't hit their peak until 28. Some could say the same of Woods or Mitrovic in that they haven't been instant hits but got there with persistence.

Like I say, ultimately neither Farke nor Smith could get them playing well enough together to grind out the results needed. Individually though, they represent quality and ability, and have attributes that you can see why they were signed. Bar perhaps one or two, Gilmour, looking at you. 

That happens. Chelsea don't have a crap team, but Potter, despite being a good manager with Brighton, couldn't replicate there despite more resources at his disposal. Again, Lambert is somewhat the same. Never quite managed to get that swagger and energy into another team he has managed since.

As said, not rubbishing people's views that they feel Webber's time is done, just the need they seem to have to make stuff up, direct personal abuse or just say the same thing every day on every thread. Tedious, and repeating it regularly only sounds like one is trying to convince ones self it's true. 

There is a lot of if only in there Chicken. The targets we had were above our pay scale. So we didn't get them. PLM and Normann left after one season when neither showed a consistency fit for the EPL which they were bought for. As was Sargent so his little spurt in the middle of this season was all we have for our money. And there is no guarantee he will mature at 28. So in reality, there was no success. We were relegated from the EPL (decision to sack a good coach is another matter) and have endured a poor season in a lower division and now we have to wait and see if Sara and Nunez can show us why they were bought. Surely it was to get us back up into the EPL at the first attempt.

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

But what is the dig/ jibe in this case? It's a throwaway soundbite aimed at nobody. 

Its like if Josh Sargent missed a good chance and I said 'you'd bet your house on Sargent scoring from there' and it being interpreted as an attack on recovering gambling addicts or homeless people.

Bizarre

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Webber can do no wrong in Webber's eyes. We are lucky to have him for he could easily move on.....  he more or less he told us that.

Pretty sure he mentioned getting things wrong up front in his interviews. As mentioned elsewhere he is distracting and drawing criticism away from club and team onto himself. Fair play, fingers crossed it creates some space for them to get in with the job. 

17 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

That is one hell of a leap. I just do not think there is any need to make reference to anybody, the majority of people questioning his transfer policy this season will have been Norwich City fans so it is not that unreasonable to assume the reference to living in a fantasy world etc is aimed at those fans that have questioned his transfer policy. The frustrating thing is what he said about losing four experienced players is valid and I can only speak for myself here I do not blame him for not having much money to spend, so stick to the facts, cut out the stupid references and you have a perfectly fair and valid quote that nosy is upset about......win, win........

While I have read Michael Bailey's interview, I haven't listened to any of recorded interviews as there is nothing Webber has to say I wish to hear. As someone once said - 'ignore the noise'. 

IMO, there is little to be gained from listening to any of his interviews; you know what you are going to get before he even opens his mouth.

He has no issue with antagonising the fan base as that is simply the nature of the beast - attack is his best, and probably only, form of defense. He's a PR department's nightmare - he has no awareness of how to get his points over in a reasoned manner. It's a massive character flaw that doesn't fit well with a person who is often the one conveying difficult messages to fans.

He also no doubt feels quite in-powered in this position, knowing his job role is 100% safe whatever he says; he's not going anywhere until he decides to.

Lastly, he'll also do it as a way of taking the heat off Wagner and the players after a season that was well below everyone's expectations - this is fine, and an honorable thing to do but he does it in such a ham-fisted way that it actually makes you focus even more on the issues at the club, defeating the object of the exercise! He is the very epitome of a bull in a china shop.

OTBC

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

That is one hell of a leap. I just do not think there is any need to make reference to anybody, the majority of people questioning his transfer policy this season will have been Norwich City fans so it is not that unreasonable to assume the reference to living in a fantasy world etc is aimed at those fans that have questioned his transfer policy. The frustrating thing is what he said about losing four experienced players is valid and I can only speak for myself here I do not blame him for not having much money to spend, so stick to the facts, cut out the stupid references and you have a perfectly fair and valid quote that nosy is upset about......win, win........

This is what I'm saying, though- to me he hasnt made reference to anybody. He isn't saying 'you, the fans that have dared question me, are living in a fantasy world'. 

At the risk of being torpedoed by one of our resident language-wiz posters, the 'you' in this case is being used as an impersonal pronoun to refer to nobody in particular . I don't think its unfair to suggest most people have very little idea of what an actual football transfer involves (and certainly don't see the need to get massively personally offended over)

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

While I have read Michael Bailey's interview, I haven't listened to any of recorded interviews as there is nothing Webber has to say I wish to hear. As someone once said - 'ignore the noise'. 

IMO, there is little to be gained from listening to any of his interviews; you know what you are going to get before he even opens his mouth.

He has no issue with antagonising the fan base as that is simply the nature of the beast - attack is his best, and probably only, form of defense. He's a PR department's nightmare - he has no awareness of how to get his points over in a reasoned manner. It's a massive character flaw that doesn't fit well with a person who is often the one conveying difficult messages to fans.

He also no doubt feels quite in-powered in this position, knowing his job role is 100% safe whatever he says; he's not going anywhere until he decides to.

Lastly, he'll also do it as a way of taking the heat off Wagner and the players after a season that was well below everyone's expectations - this is fine, and an honorable thing to do but he does it in such a ham-fisted way that it actually makes you focus even more on the issues at the club, defeating the object of the exercise! He is the very epitome of a bull in a china shop.

OTBC

Hello sir, I trust you’re having a super Sunday?! 

I thought the same re: Webber but I listened to the Scrimmage and Chris Goreham asked some decent questions. And Webber, despite his panto villain portrait some are painting on here, had some decent points to make. Love him or hate him he’s here for the foreseeable and we have to go with what we’ve got… for now. If anyone thinks Attanasio is a fool though and won’t see Webber doing a ****e job is they themselves a fool. Taking a step back from things, yes the last few seasons have been ****e but we’re not baked yet, everything’s cyclical. So I’m looking forward to the new season with some new faces in the squad and new heroes to be made. The Farke era is officially dead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crab man said:

Bunch of pant wetting snow flakes on here, taking offense to everything he says. Happy to dish out the abuse but can't take it. 
How about let him get on with the job. He's never going to get every decision 100%.
The alternative is far worse. Neil Adams as sporting director? No thank you. 

The alternative is far worse. Neil Adams as sporting director? No thank you. 

So Mr crabby man who put Neil into that well paid position and why? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Hello sir, I trust you’re having a super Sunday?! 

I thought the same re: Webber but I listened to the Scrimmage and Chris Goreham asked some decent questions. And Webber, despite his panto villain portrait some are painting on here, had some decent points to make. Love him or hate him he’s here for the foreseeable and we have to go with what we’ve got… for now. If anyone thinks Attanasio is a fool though and won’t see Webber doing a ****e job is they themselves a fool. Taking a step back from things, yes the last few seasons have been ****e but we’re not baked yet, everything’s cyclical. So I’m looking forward to the new season with some new faces in the squad and new heroes to be made. The Farke era is officially dead. 

Hello Danke!

I'm fine thanks! It's a blue skyed day 'up north and other than a few little jobs to do I'm having quite a chilled one. 👍

How are you? All good I hope!

I've never been a Webber fan tbh. Clocked his antagonistic nature early on and wasn't a fan, even when he was doing a decent job. I've worked with a few peeps similar to him in my time and you can put up with them when they are are doing a good job as ultimately they are benefited the whole. However, when things go bad, what do they bring to the party apart from being a pain in the ar5e? Anyway, just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I might watch the West Ham game in a bit and see if Leeds can escape the drop!

OTBC

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There is a lot of if only in there Chicken. The targets we had were above our pay scale. So we didn't get them. PLM and Normann left after one season when neither showed a consistency fit for the EPL which they were bought for. As was Sargent so his little spurt in the middle of this season was all we have for our money. And there is no guarantee he will mature at 28. So in reality, there was no success. We were relegated from the EPL (decision to sack a good coach is another matter) and have endured a poor season in a lower division and now we have to wait and see if Sara and Nunez can show us why they were bought. Surely it was to get us back up into the EPL at the first attempt.

The point is hindsight is wonderful. That all of the players, bar one or two, showed at least glimpses of the potential they were signed for. Consistently, as a team, we weren't good enough last season. That isn't so much then down to individuals not being good enough but the results of them as a team playing together. 

You essentially say that it is too much to expect of players, one in their first season, to find consistency and bond as a team in just one season - and I agree.

Which highlights exactly where we were that summer. We needed transition, we needed quality and for varying reasons, fee/wages/player desire - we couldn't land that. We signed players, as a result, late in the window which meant little to no pre-season. Essentially that left us playing catch up.

Which ever way you look at it, it's easy in hindsight to say - well that was sh!t. Even easier to make alternative suggestions as we know that one didn't work.

However, to say that all of the players are crap - which is essentially what is being said here, is wrong.

Sargent is already proving he is good enough at this level. 9 goals in 19-20 games as a striker. Would be 18+ if he had started the rest of his games up front with a similar form.

What does he actually say in that article? I don’t have access to read it. Why are we living in a fantasy?

53 minutes ago, chicken said:

The point is hindsight is wonderful. That all of the players, bar one or two, showed at least glimpses of the potential they were signed for. Consistently, as a team, we weren't good enough last season. That isn't so much then down to individuals not being good enough but the results of them as a team playing together. 

You essentially say that it is too much to expect of players, one in their first season, to find consistency and bond as a team in just one season - and I agree.

Which highlights exactly where we were that summer. We needed transition, we needed quality and for varying reasons, fee/wages/player desire - we couldn't land that. We signed players, as a result, late in the window which meant little to no pre-season. Essentially that left us playing catch up.

Which ever way you look at it, it's easy in hindsight to say - well that was sh!t. Even easier to make alternative suggestions as we know that one didn't work.

However, to say that all of the players are crap - which is essentially what is being said here, is wrong.

Sargent is already proving he is good enough at this level. 9 goals in 19-20 games as a striker. Would be 18+ if he had started the rest of his games up front with a similar form.

What I am also saying is that surely an SD would take into account that some players need time. South American players may find it harder than Europeans. But I still believe he expected Sara and Nunez to light up the league last season.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

This is what I'm saying, though- to me he hasnt made reference to anybody. He isn't saying 'you, the fans that have dared question me, are living in a fantasy world'. 

At the risk of being torpedoed by one of our resident language-wiz posters, the 'you' in this case is being used as an impersonal pronoun to refer to nobody in particular . I don't think its unfair to suggest most people have very little idea of what an actual football transfer involves (and certainly don't see the need to get massively personally offended over)

It is not about personal offence, it is about communicating without the need for unnecessary references.....

5 hours ago, chicken said:

Another thread for the meltdowners.

Sorry, but if anyone thinks this sort of hard-nose CEO or higher level management speak is "shocking" or "new" then I would have to say they have either only ever been self employed or they have been exceedingly lucky.

I have had senior management tell me that they don't really do sympathy or hugging - when in relation to a long term colleague who had just been through a difficult divorce - no fault of theirs. 

None of this looks any different to me.

The other thing which baffles me is that the same people commenting now, weren't moaning the first 3 seasons and I don't think he was particularly any different. Probably seen as "tough talking" then.

Another day... same old BS. 

I’ll tell you what’s different, I bet they wouldn’t say crap like that to a reporter when being interviewed.

Also businesses trying to present a certain image would not be ok with it.

Sorry I’m not giving him plaudits because he’s publicly being an a$$ not just privately. 

The - well we’ve all known some assholes in power - defence is pretty weak. 

Oh and your senior management, hugging fair enough, but not having sympathy for that person just makes them assholes. Sounds a great place. Thankfully the worlds changing.

Edited by Monty13
Seriously a$$ is censored

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

What I am also saying is that surely an SD would take into account that some players need time. South American players may find it harder than Europeans. But I still believe he expected Sara and Nunez to light up the league last season.

Yes - but that's rather the point. Ajer, Billings and Armstrong wouldn't have needed time right? And top flight Bundesliga player would probably adapt faster than a top tier French player too. Normann and Kabak had already played in England so you'd have expected them to adapt quicker, though they did arrive late on, Kabak especially so.

As for Sara and Nunez - no. CM is a position we already had good numbers in. They knew Sara wouldn't be ready for the start of the season so that sort of goes against that idea too. I suspect that he hoped that they may have started slowly and warmed into the season. Complimented by the likes of Hayden and McLean who are very able at this level and have the experience to pass onto them. 

As it happens, Nunez hit the ground running whilst Sara was a slow burner that got better as the season went on. Ultimately though, it wasn't a lack in Nunez and Sara that cost us. It was more a case of the experienced pro's letting us down a bit and then becoming injured.

As they were our only two permanent signings last summer adding only Hayden, AJ and Marquinhos on loan, I think it's fairly obvious they hoped the squad had enough strength and depth to push for another bounce back. In fairness, whilst they weren't, they also weren't a million miles off it either. Watford are very much in a similar boat having a squad worth more money and generally not as age polarised as our own. 

5 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I work high up in a company and deal with the board ever day. This sort of tough talking bullsh#t went out years ago.. you encourage, build teams and deal with issues in a professional and fair manner. You most certainly don't antagonise your customer base... anyway enough time wasted! I guess you don't have to listen to him..

Good post and certainly true

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Webber just tries to tell us we are stupid, don't understand and he did a brilliant job in recruting Rashica, PLM, Normann, Tzolis, Sargent, Hayden, Dowell, Byram, Gibson, Gilmour, Kabak, Sinani and now Nunez.

He didn't say that people were stupid. He did say that people don't fully understand, which is an entirely reasonable thing to say when there is only a small handful of people in the country who have experience signing football players.

As he referenced, the reality is a far cry from a football game, which is as close as most fans get to doing his job. 

Webber's problems are a) he isn't the best person to communicate when things aren't going well, and b) he's already upset most of the fanbase. Evidently, they're sensitive to any sign of a dig. 

On a different note, you've provided an incredibly selective list of players there, spanning four years. 

6 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I am sick of talking about the guy. He would rather snipe than build bridges but he is not going anywhere and we will just have to hope that next year is better. The management ain't going anywhere.. Time to concentrate on other passions such as music, film... never let's you down

I don't know. I've never got over the disappointment of the Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle being released under the Sex Pistols banner.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sara was our POTS and Nunez probably scored our goal of the season, not a bad start.