Icecream Snow

"City to announce new signing and coach imminently"

24 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

But my brother who supports Reading said that Ince wasn't very good last season

I'd agree with him! Whenever I saw anything of Reading, Ince just sort of hung out on the pitch without doing much at all apart from exchanging (un)pleasantries with his dad.

13 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

We've never actually had a defender who can defend for a while, so it shouldnt be an issue.

That's my beef, although we've had some decent actual defenders (Hanley?) our full-backs haven't been solely that, and they all seem to have the need for strong attacking ability built overmuch into their job spec.

A replacement for Aarons should be primarily a defender. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

We need at least 2 players for each position , do you actually understand football?

Are we going to sign two scapegoats? I feel like we're lacking in that department since Gilmore left

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

Are we going to sign two scapegoats? I feel like we're lacking in that department since Gilmore left

McLeans back from injury now

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Playing scapegoats at least.  Kenny's upturn in form and his and Hanley's injuries meant they officially achieved 'players we can't do without' status, left us short of scapegoating potential and despite everyone else trying to fill the void in their absence nobody really stood out individually as being worse than the rest ...

This could be Idah's chance to shine next season though ...  Unless he goes out on loan and starts banging them in in League 1 at which point he will become the 'why didn't we keep him' option to replace Mumba.

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

We need at least 2 players for each position , do you actually understand football?

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do we? You don't say

Well, no actually. There has been a longstanding criticism of Webber by the likes of @Parma Ham's gone mouldy that the recruitment strategy was to spread the squad too thinly in order to have cover but at the cost of not having any outstanding players or weapons. What we need is a better starting eleven, augmented with the kids. loans and utility players who can fit into a number of different positions.  We just don't have the cash for 22 top-end Champs ready players, this would leave us with a squad of below average journeymen.

Edited by BigFish
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Poor old straight-man (ie boring but crucial defensive central midfielder) Zeppo always get forgotten...🤩

For a reason…

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Playing scapegoats at least.  Kenny's upturn in form and his and Hanley's injuries meant they officially achieved 'players we can't do without' status, left us short of scapegoating potential and despite everyone else trying to fill the void in their absence nobody really stood out individually as being worse than the rest ...

This could be Idah's chance to shine next season though ...  Unless he goes out on loan and starts banging them in in League 1 at which point he will become the 'why didn't we keep him' option to replace Mumba.

If only we had replaced Wagner with Martin when we had the chance. Coach and experienced scapegoat in one.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Well, no actually. There has been a longstanding criticism of Webber by the likes of @Parma Ham's gone mouldy that the recruitment strategy was to spread the squad too thinly in order to have cover but at the cost of not having any outstanding players or weapons. What we need is a better starting eleven, augmented with the kids. loans and utility players who can fit into a number of different positions.  We just don't have the cash for 22 top-end Champs ready players, this would leave us with a squad of below average journeymen.

Completely agree.

There is a huge value in a player who can competently cover two or three positions, even if they aren't good enough to start week in week out. Sorenson can kind of fill that role in defensive midfield and fullback, although not central defence. 

What we do need to avoid though is a situation where a first choice in one position is also our only backup for another position. That means one injury has a doubly destabilising effect on the team. 

• Like 2

Coach now announced on official club website/socials

I’m not putting a link in, go and find it yourself 

Edited by Yobocop

Also I’m getting serious ‘Mikel Arteta off of Wish’ vibes from this geezer 

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

I for one have absolutely no idea what you're getting at . This could literally be written in Japanese and I would understand just as much of it.

15 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I for one have absolutely no idea what you're getting at . This could literally be written in Japanese and I would understand just as much of it.

Wish.com is a Chinese online market place where you can buy cheap knock offs which rarely work, quickly break and aren't worth the price.

So a Mikel Arteta off of wish is a more modern day way of saying that Pelach is a poor man's Mikel Arteta.

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Pretty fitting if you accept the idea that Wagner is just Jürgen Klopp off Wish. 😉

23 hours ago, BigFish said:

Really ?

Lambert seemed to be able to, as have 'lesser' clubs like Millwall, Luton, Coventry. Did they have the parachute payments we had. Or income from player sales. And I am not sure either which end of our ground is the top. The danger of 'weak' back up was shown when Hanley, Gibson  and McClean were out.

The Championship is a tough division, literally. We have players who were easily bullied off the ball. The signings we have made so far look to be addressing that.

46 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Really ?

Lambert seemed to be able to, as have 'lesser' clubs like Millwall, Luton, Coventry. Did they have the parachute payments we had. Or income from player sales. And I am not sure either which end of our ground is the top. The danger of 'weak' back up was shown when Hanley, Gibson  and McClean were out.

The Championship is a tough division, literally. We have players who were easily bullied off the ball. The signings we have made so far look to be addressing that.

Yes really.

Do you honestly think that any of the three clubs you mention have 22 Champs quality players or we did when Lambert was here? That was what was being suggested. Do you really think our 1st eleven was good enough last season. We need a starting eleven that contains high quality champs players (what I meant by top-end, which you didn't understand). We don't get that by spreading our wage bill across 22 rather than say 12/13. A strong bench is fine, but it is no compensation for a lack of weapons.

Another thing about Stacey and Barnes - both have recent experience of getting out of the Championship too.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Another thing about Stacey and Barnes - both have recent experience of getting out of the Championship too.

More pertinent, is both have experience of playing in the Championship. Nunez, Sara and Marquis did not - and it showed.

4 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

More pertinent, is both have experience of playing in the Championship. Nunez, Sara and Marquis did not - and it showed.

Sara was POTS

7 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I suppose by definition,  getting out of the Championship means you've experience of playing in it. They've played in it, and done well enough to get back out. We had problems when two of our main ones were out near the back end of the season.

8 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Wish.com is a Chinese online market place where you can buy cheap knock offs which rarely work, quickly break and aren't worth the price.

So a Mikel Arteta off of wish is a more modern day way of saying that Pelach is a poor man's Mikel Arteta.

Thanks for explanation lol 

On 30/05/2023 at 13:38, Harry53 said:

Maybe we play 3 central defenders and 5 across the middle? Bali still would have to defend though

To be honest, Mumba looked at his best for us in that cameo he had at left midfield. Since Onel is markedly better on the right but strangely never gets played there, I would be perfectly happy with Mumba wide left and Onel wide right 

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

To be honest, Mumba looked at his best for us in that cameo he had at left midfield. Since Onel is markedly better on the right but strangely never gets played there, I would be perfectly happy with Mumba wide left and Onel wide right 

Christ, what an underwhelming line up that would be.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We're on a roll. I wonder who will be arriving today?

Im guessing Duffy will be the next arrival, but doubtful that will be today. I would expect to hear about some outs shortly, where I suspect something for Rashica will be agreed shortly.