Pyro Pete

"Women’s football, I do not watch it. It’s of zero interest"

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Funny. He (and everyone else) says the same about you.

Which one are you again?

I agree with what he says, I too have no interest in women's football. But, why did he have to insult the fans yet again? To qoute " We’re not going to get Carrow Road full for the women’s team with 40-to-60-year-old drunk men. 

So, all the 40-60 yo's that attend games are drunk. It's a bit like the divorcee's comment. Totally unnecessary, does he really despise the fans that much, I just don't get it. 

Edited by Miss Demeanor

1 hour ago, Branston said:

Life would be a lot less complicated if people just gave an honest answer to an honest question . Sadly these days anything that is longer than it is wide will offend somebody somewhere . We don't all have to play to the gallery . That's Webber's view then fine . At least an honest answer .

When someone asks "does my bum look big in this" the best answer is not necessarily the honest answer.  But good luck with the honest approach. I'm sure life for you will be less complicated without whoever asked in your life.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Not all about the standard though is it, more about entertainment value. Look at YouTube boxing, non league football or even to an extent Norwich City. Why don’t we all just watch Man City vs Real Madrid all the time?

Usually a bit of an armchair fan take to not understand this concept.

I'm 63. I've watched Norwich City 1,500 times including at around 70 away grounds. I'm definitely not an armchair fan I can assure you. 

I think it's a bit far fetched to compare women's football with non league. The best female team in the country would get nowhere near my local village team. The Arsenal female team, who I'm told are one of the best in Europe, were recently completely hammered by their male under 14's team. 

This is the warm up for a recent Champions League final. I kid you not. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You can call me Stu. 

Why do you think you didn't get the Chelsea position Stu....are you too honest for your own good?.....

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

There isn’t any point to concede - I’m really not that bothered.  Bailey 100% wrote on Twitter yesterday, along the lines of ‘there’s still one interview to come out’.  It isn’t unfair to assume he interviewed for the Athletic as it’s who he works for. I suppose it might not have been.  But I don’t think it washes that if it was his interview, they he’s not the source of the quotes.

I mean I hate to be controversial, but...

1187821348_Screenshot_20230520-143112_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.78f3c898df6146fa99542a958be57ea3.jpg

21 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I don't think anything he says right now would make much difference, those that are gunning for him will love it, fuel to the fire. Personally  I dont think we should hear much from the SD , do other Clubs? I can't stand platitudes, be up front and honest , if noses get put out of joint , well that's ok by me. If hed said        " tbh I prefer womens footy as its not a fooked up money game like the men's...though  it'll be heading that way of course "  that would be fine with  me too.    What if he'd  bigged it up and then the truth came out?  Diplomacy isnt all its cracked up to be. 

The problem is, he's now got more people gunning for him. As I said before he didn't need to say anything about how much he likes women's football or the quality as he wasn't asked about that! It's a huge own goal on his part.

22 minutes ago, tsj1999 said:

Webber is a pathetic old man

He's not an old man. I think that's part of the problem. He's got an incredibly fragile ego that's led him to surround himself with a team of similarly young senior management, because he couldn't cope with a wiser, older head around the place.

The guy is a pathological narcissist. I'm not sure whether he's taken a blow to the head or all that time up where the air is thin has deteriorated his cognitive function, but something's made him pretty dense.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Miss Demeanor said:

I agree with what he says, I too have no interest in women's football. But, why did he have to insult the fans yet again? To qoute " We’re not going to get Carrow Road full for the women’s team with 40-to-60-year-old drunk men. 

So, all the 40-60 yo's that attend games are drunk. It's a bit like the divorcee's comment. Totally unnecessary, does he really despise the fans that much, I just don't get it. 

I fall into that age category....and I'm so hurty butt upset that I'm off to drown my sorrows...(later on though, it's too expensive for all dayers)....'Hic'...

1 minute ago, king canary said:

As I said before he didn't need to say anything about how much he likes women's football or the quality as he wasn't asked about that! It's a huge own goal on his part.

He did need to. It's compulsive to people like him. He has an opinion and he must say it because it's his opinion. The consequences don't matter, because it's what he thinks that matters.

Out and out nutter.

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

I fall into that age category....and I'm so hurty butt upset that I'm off to drown my sorrows...(later on though, it's too expensive for all dayers)....'Hic'...

Have one for me!

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

I mean I hate to be controversial, but...

1187821348_Screenshot_20230520-143112_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.78f3c898df6146fa99542a958be57ea3.jpg

Well it does rather look like Bailey wrote this, doesn’t it?  Tbh that bit is splitting hairs - I don’t really care who wrote what, my gripe is always about context.  Imo read what Webber says in context and it is fair, if clumsy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

When someone asks "does my bum look big in this" the best answer is not necessarily the honest answer.  But good luck with the honest approach. I'm sure life for you will be less complicated without whoever asked in your life.

National Express....by the Divine Comedy...."It's the size of a small Country"......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Demeanor said:

I’ve got to be honest. I fit in that age group and I’ve always had a few when attending matches at Carrow Road. 

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm 63. I've watched Norwich City 1,500 times including at around 70 away grounds. I'm definitely not an armchair fan I can assure you. 

I think it's a bit far fetched to compare women's football with non league. The best female team in the country would get nowhere near my local village team. The Arsenal female team, who I'm told are one of the best in Europe, were recently completely hammered by their male under 14's team. 

And yet earlier you were talking about how much you enjoy women's Tennis and athletics. Bit bizarre, considering a couple of years ago a 15-year-old high school student in the US ran the 100m quicker than the female world record. And part-time jobbing male Tennis players could beat Iga Swiatek.

Yet someone else on here said they prefer watching women's Tennis. As I sometimes do, it's often more entertaining. This idea that quality = entertainment is just senseless. The England Men's team would destroy the England Women's team, yet the Women's Euros was infinitely more enjoyable than any major tournament I've seen from the England Men.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Would you prefer that he lied?

I would expect him to do his job, the director of any organisation should talk positively about the activities of the company, even the ones they arent involved in.  If he does not want to get involved he should give a stock positive answer which closes the subject down without negatively impacting the clubs development.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Surely you understand it’s more about the emotional connection then? Sure it’s fine to not be arsed but surely you understand some people are? Hear the same ignorant opinions sometimes when I’ve said I support Norwich.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

The problem is, he's now got more people gunning for him. As I said before he didn't need to say anything about how much he likes women's football or the quality as he wasn't asked about that! It's a huge own goal on his part.

Tbf they made a point of saying that all subjects were ok to discuss, and he’s answered with what he presumably thinks is his opinion, if clumsily in places .  Unless we see the interview we don’t know what was actually asked (have they done that? - I’ve not seen) so can’t really say where he ‘might’ have left it.

But he’s still entitled to his opinion, and imo those gunning for him may well only see the out of context headlines rather than the actual piece - that’s my issue and it’s where I think media has a responsibility to report accurately.

• Like 1

It isn't always about standard, no. But there is a reason that there isn't a clamour for full non-league TV coverage.

It's a long process. There are those on social media that call for the women's to play at CR every time the men play away- these expectations need to be properly tempered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

It isn't always about standard, no. But there is a reason that there isn't a clamour for full non-league TV coverage.

It's a long process. There are those on social media that call for the women's to play at CR every time the men play away- these expectations need to be properly tempered.

It might happen at some point, but it is way off.

Look at Chelsea Ladies attendances this season - they are currently top, but don’t seem to rarely sell out their 4800 stadium, though for odd games can get 38000 at Stamford Bridge. It’s an odd mix at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Surely you understand it’s more about the emotional connection then? Sure it’s fine to not be arsed but surely you understand some people are? Hear the same ignorant opinions sometimes when I’ve said I support Norwich.

I really don't mind if other people want to watch women play football. The fact that you think my lack of interest makes me ignorant is a shame. 

I'm very keen on watching all sorts of sports involving women but the simple fact is that they're just not very good at football. If you want to watch feel free but don't expect me to join you and try to stop being so rude when people challenge your view. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well it does rather look like Bailey wrote this, doesn’t it?  Tbh that bit is splitting hairs - I don’t really care who wrote what, my gripe is always about context.  Imo read what Webber says in context and it is fair, if clumsy.

The article Mason 47  has screenshot from is Michael Bailey's interview article in full, yesterday on The Athletic.

If his employer takes specific quotes from that article to make another story the next day, that's their actions, not his.

I'm defending Michael because you seem to be accusing him of something he hasn't done.

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

The article Mason 47  has screenshot from is Michael Bailey's interview article in full, yesterday on The Athletic.

If his employer takes specific quotes from that article to make another story the next day, that's their actions, not his.

I'm defending Michael because you seem to be accusing him of something he hasn't done.

Oh - so ‘they’ are using his interview and quotes to try to do a hatchet job on Webber.  If you/he thinks that’s fair then ok. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

13 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm very keen on watching all sorts of sports involving women but the simple fact is that they're just not very good at football. If you want to watch feel free but don't expect me to join you and try to stop being so rude when people challenge your view.

Interesting reach for the high ground in the same post that you've said something both rude and ignorant (and had the audacity to call the ignorant comment a "simple fact").

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

They are using his interview and quotes to try to do a hatchet job on Webber.  If you/he thinks that’s fair then ok. 

The media do what they do to sell copy. The trick is choosing your words carefully.

My opinion is that our club should have someone higher up as their spokesperson. Someone with professional experience of public speaking. I've said this before.

If Webber wants to do PR work, then he needs to be aware of his position and how his words reflect on the club.

Because in these interviews he is not being asked for his personal opinion. He is being asked for his opinion as Sporting Director of Norwich City Football Club.

Public speaking is a genuinely difficult skill. I couldn't do it. Evidence suggests Webber finds it equally difficult.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

The media do what they do to sell copy. The trick is choosing your words carefully.

My opinion is that our club should have someone higher up as their spokesperson. Someone with professional experience of public speaking. I've said this before.

If Webber wants to do PR work, then he needs to be aware of his position and how his words reflect on the club.

Because in these interviews he is not being asked for his personal opinion. He is being asked for his opinion as Sporting Director of Norwich City Football Club.

Public speaking is a genuinely difficult skill. I couldn't do it. Evidence suggests Webber finds it equally difficult.

I don’t disagree, but there’s always a clamour for him so it is what it is.  I think we’d much prefer this than sanitised PR speak, as at least it gives talking points.

Tbh this ‘anti-women’s football’ thing does feel pretty thin - his main ‘crime’ is that he is clumsy in how he put things.  My gripe is how it has been written to unfairly create a narrative.  It may be that Bailey had nothing to do with it per se, so fair do’s, but if I were him I’d be rather annoyed. 

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Interesting reach for the high ground in the same post that you've said something both rude and ignorant (and had the audacity to call the ignorant comment a "simple fact").

Sorry, but what have I said that is rude or ignorant? 

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It might happen at some point, but it is way off.

Look at Chelsea Ladies attendances this season - they are currently top, but don’t seem to rarely sell out their 4800 stadium, though for odd games can get 38000 at Stamford Bridge. It’s an odd mix at the moment.

Therein lies the overarching point IMO.

Chelsea women generated €1.7m in total revenue last season; probably the top women's team in England. I couldn't find any gross figures, but you can't imagine the whole operation of their side generates much profit out of that; for Chelsea, though, they can sink that cost. I doubt we could without hampering other parts of the club.

Not every game will be the first-ever Carrow Road game in nice weather. There's a process of growth, and its a slow one. That's all that's really been said.

• Like 1

The support the football club has given to the ladies team has been pathetic. Look down the A140 and that’s where even a small amount of support gets you for women’s  football.

Webber really isn’t good at reading the room is he? He might think that , and he can think what he likes ,  but right now don’t commit yet another PR disaster. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1