I suspect they got it from the fact Webber said although there's interest it's expected he'll be here next season.

18 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I suspect they got it from the fact Webber said although there's interest it's expected he'll be here next season.

I understand this is likely, can't name my source though 

Was anyone really paying over £10m for a player that scored 7 goals in a team that finished 13th in championship?

42 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Was anyone really paying over £10m for a player that scored 7 goals in a team that finished 13th in championship?

Why not? If a 'large European Club offered more than we got for Ben Godfrey' for our third choice centre half, then why would they (or AN Other Club) not offer 50% LESS for a midfielder that can score goals!!

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well his on the pitch demeanor and body in the last couple of months certainly don't support that theory! If these 'big clubs' make  anything like meaningful offers he will be off. Honestly why should anyone take any notice of this sanctimonious individual and his sidekick and the 'inside knowledge' they purport to obtain?? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would like to keep him, obviously.

Agreed - guess you’ll wait to see what others say before passing comment on the club 

• Haha 1

Sara is the player I most want us to keep. He can only get netter and be capable of being a fulcrum for the team next season.

He's made great strides in the game here since he arrived without knowing a word of English. There's clearly a strong character there who could become dominant and could, conceivably, even be made captain.

Selling him would, imo, greatly dim our chances of a speedy revival. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well his on the pitch demeanor and body in the last couple of months certainly don't support that theory! If these 'big clubs' make  anything like meaningful offers he will be off. Honestly why should anyone take any notice of this sanctimonious individual and his sidekick and the 'inside knowledge' they purport to obtain?? 

Replace 'Sanctimonious' with 'Emotionally Intelligent' and you'd be a lot more accurate @yellowrider120! The words you use in this post say far more about your personal beliefs than it does about those you're describing. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Sara is the player I most want us to keep. He can only get netter and be capable of being a fulcrum for the team next season.

He's made great strides in the game here since he arrived without knowing a word of English. There's clearly a strong character there who could become dominant and could, conceivably, even be made captain.

Selling him would, imo, greatly dim our chances of a speedy revival. 

Agreed, we need to build the team around Sara tbh

If we got our money back and a bit of extra on top, I would be happy for him to leave. I can see he has a bit of talent but he doesn't do it enough for me. Madison and Buendia really stood out in this division. He didn't.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we got our money back and a bit of extra on top, I would be happy for him to leave. I can see he has a bit of talent but he doesn't do it enough for me. Madison and Buendia really stood out in this division. He didn't.

In his first season, Buendia got 8 in 38 playing as an attacker in a league-winning side. Sara this year got 7 in 39 playing in a shot-shy struggling side, as a midfielder. Notwithstanding coming back from a big injury.

Yes, yes, there's more to what makes a good player than goals. But I think it would be a bit hasty to be writing him off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In his first season, Buendia got 8 in 38 playing as an attacker in a league-winning side. Sara this year got 7 in 39 playing in a shot-shy struggling side, as a midfielder. Notwithstanding coming back from a big injury.

Yes, yes, there's more to what makes a good player than goals. But I think it would be a bit hasty to be writing him off.

People are really rather strange about some of our better players, aren’t they.  Sara could be a real star next season yet we have people who are happy to just recover our costs on him. Bizarre.

Edited by Branston Pickle
Spelling
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, WD40 said:

Well we got £24m plus add-ons for Maddison having scored 15 goals for a team finishing 10pts off the play-offs, so I don't think you can be so blinkered.

Sara will only be sold if the offer is the right one for NCFC. 

Having only just been voted POTS he's hardly likely to say he hates it here and wants to leave. We know he's been watched by clubs across Europe, so we'll see what happens, but it's convenient had he didn't finish the season awfully well.

13 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Replace 'Sanctimonious' with 'Emotionally Intelligent' and you'd be a lot more accurate @yellowrider120! The words you use in this post say far more about your personal beliefs than it does about those you're describing. 

I like the boys and don't get the stick they seem to get from many.

I appreciate their input and enthusiasm even though I usually switch off with boredom long before the end of their broadcasts.

Yes, they stick their heads above the parapet and have a self-confidence that some don't like or envy, but they are genuine City supporters and add to the fun of being just that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WD40 said:

Bit of a bizarre statement to be honest.

23yr old Brazilians firs season in European/English football. 7 goals and 3 assists from 40 appearances totalling 2811mins. That's roughly 70mins per appearance average OR equivalent of 31 games.  When you look at it like that, it's a CM who has a goal involvement every 3 games.

As you say, all in a team that was struggling for form. That's pretty good going isn't it? After all, when people try to convince other people on here that a player is better than there goal tally, they say it's because they are playing as part of a poor side.

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sara could be a real star next season yet we have people who are happy to just recover our costs on him. Bizarre.

Totally agree. I get that if we're offered big money for him, that's a tricky decision for the sporting director. But as a fan, I'd rather watch another season of him in a City shirt than read a headline that reveals the club's just earned £25million.

Actually think it's a bit of a con-trick in the post-92 football landscape that the media have successfully got fans talking about finances as much as football. Quite sad if you think about it.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
typo
  • Like 1

Sara is either on holiday or has moved already. Neither of his cars are at home and haven't been for a few days.

(It may sound like it but im not stalking him.  He lives over the road and I have to drive past his to park my car. It's more difficult not to notice. He lives in the same house Normann did last year!)

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Totally agree. I get that if we're offered big money for him, that's a tricky decision for the sporting director. But as a fan, I'd rather watch another season of him in a City shirt than read a headline that reveals the club's just earned £25million.

Actually think it's a bit of a con-trick in the post-92 football landscape that the media have successfully got fans talking about finances as much as football. Quite sad if you think about it.

Yeah on that last point I totally agree. I think it's why fans of top flight clubs are so much more tolerant of dodgy owners and managers who play pragmatic football than they used to be because they now care as much about finances and they do results on the pitch. 

Years ago Leeds, Everton and Palace fans would have been furious with their recent managerial appointments. But now it's like well we need someone to keep the money rolling in. Likewise I could see people having much more of a problem with Newcastles ownership but fans now are obsessed with money. I know I deviated a little bit from your point about selling players but I think it's all part of the same issue. 

I want Sara to stay. 25m would be nice if it was all reinvested into new players but it wouldn't all be and there would be no guarantee of replacing his output as we've all seen similar happen recently with Buendia. Goals from midfield, good set pieces and an ability to lift players around him. That's tough to replace and he's only going to get better as he adapts more. I don't think he's quite at the level yet of a PL player and it feels to me like if he continues his trajectory next summer would be the right time to sell and would have the best outcome for all involved. Right now he could move to Burnley, Sheff Utd or Bournemouth. Next summer if he carries on improving it might be Villa or Brighton. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

On 19/05/2023 at 20:09, WD40 said:

When we played Middlesbrough SKY were reporting scouts from countries all over Europe were there to watch him and I am sure but will stand to be corrected they were talking fees much higher than £10 million.

I hope I am wrong but I am expecting Sara to leave, the posts about not selling him and how settled he is, whilst with Omobalidele and Aarons we are generating interest is really telling, and feels like driving up the price.

If we sell Rashica, Aarons, Omobalidele, and Sara, it gives the club a lot of money (40+) to spend and a lot of players to replace.  I would not even be surprised to see Sorensen, Gibson, Krul, and Nunez moved on if the money is right.  It could be a very turbulent summer.

13 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yeah on that last point I totally agree. I think it's why fans of top flight clubs are so much more tolerant of dodgy owners and managers who play pragmatic football than they used to be because they now care as much about finances and they do results on the pitch. 

Years ago Leeds, Everton and Palace fans would have been furious with their recent managerial appointments. But now it's like well we need someone to keep the money rolling in. Likewise I could see people having much more of a problem with Newcastles ownership but fans now are obsessed with money. I know I deviated a little bit from your point about selling players but I think it's all part of the same issue. 

I want Sara to stay. 25m would be nice if it was all reinvested into new players but it wouldn't all be and there would be no guarantee of replacing his output as we've all seen similar happen recently with Buendia. Goals from midfield, good set pieces and an ability to lift players around him. That's tough to replace and he's only going to get better as he adapts more. I don't think he's quite at the level yet of a PL player and it feels to me like if he continues his trajectory next summer would be the right time to sell and would have the best outcome for all involved. Right now he could move to Burnley, Sheff Utd or Bournemouth. Next summer if he carries on improving it might be Villa or Brighton. 

Reality and fans are to different things. If you are a player unless you are at Real Madrid possibly Manchester City and Barcelona there is always a next step which you will want to take. Fans will blame the club for selling when the move is often unstoppable as it’s instigated by the player. A good example of this will be Brighton, whose squad will be weakened at the end of the season as their good players move on. Most clubs in England below the top 6 lose their best player every couple of years. We expect the club to keep Emi, yet fully expect Maddison to leave Leicester, Rice to leave Manchester City, Martinez to leave Villa and I guess had Toney not been a naughty boy Toney to leave Brentford.