cambridgeshire canary

Ashley Barnes- The first Norwich interview

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Worth saying that Burnley's leading scorer this season got 17 goals. Sheff Utd's got 14, one more than Sargent. So you don't necessarily need a 20+ goals striker to get promotion.

Absolutely take your point about needing to add goals from other areas of the squad, though. Really hope we can keep Sara, and that was one of the reasons I was sorry to see Dowell go.

I agree. My point was that we don't have goalscorers currently within other areas of the team/squad (Sara possibly excluded). As such, we need our front players to score lots of goals, probably meaning that at least one has to be 20+. Similarly I was sad to see Dowell go, unless we have a more than adequate replacement lined up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Rashica - effectively another freebie as we've already paid for him.  :classic_wink:

If he doesn't want to be here, then moot point. Might as well pocket the cash from Galatasaray if that is the case. You'd think that would work bearing in mind they played together at Bremen though.

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Sarge scored 13 playing second fiddle a lot of this season, I don't doubt there's 20 goals in him as main striker.

Idah should be our concern, not Sarge or Barnes.

Sorry, I disagree (and hope that I am proven wrong) as I don't see Sargent as a 20+ striker. He is not clinical enough, has a poor touch and does not have the vision required. 

22 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Sorry, I disagree (and hope that I am proven wrong) as I don't see Sargent as a 20+ striker. He is not clinical enough, has a poor touch and does not have the vision required. 

Agreed - he wastes far too many chances. Games v Albion and Boro at the end of the season demonstrated clearly.

27 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Sorry, I disagree (and hope that I am proven wrong) as I don't see Sargent as a 20+ striker.

I could understand that opinion if he'd only scored 4-5.  But he scored 13 when playing RW a lot of the season, and was clinical as a youth player.   Don't dismiss the amount of times Bremen and ourselves have played him out wide as he can look a donkey in that position.

If you compare his shot accuracy in comparison to Pukki, even vs 20/21 he's getting more shots on target:

Pukki (20/21) shots: 137 | On target: 56 (40.8%)

Pukki (22/23) shots: 97 | On target: 32 (32.9%)

Sarge (22/23) shots: 92 | On target: 38 (41.3%)

I see no reason he couldn't have nicked an extra 7-10 goals if he was played instead of Pukki up top this season.  He's a completely different proposition up top, at this level, anyway.   

Prem league I agree, he's not tidy enough.

Edited by Google Bot

28 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Yes. It's a difficult one. He's only twenty-three, so there's scope for improvement, and he's a useful player to have in any (Championship) squad, but there has to be doubts about him ever being a goal machine. 

Howver, with similar doubts surrounding Idah, and now Barnes it would appear vital that Sargent is able to assume that mantle unless we (hopefully) add a.n. other goalscorer to the striking ranks.

That is part of my struggle with this one. Hero at Burnley but released for a reason- he’s 34 for most of next season. Not prolific for goals or assists but clearly signed expecting to start. It’s a downgrade on Pukki for me and unless idah or Sargent depart suggests our front three is sorted- which stinks of lower champs to me. On other hand I do see he brings the dog we have been missing for the fight and is a leader. 

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That is part of my struggle with this one. Hero at Burnley but released for a reason- he’s 34 for most of next season. Not prolific for goals or assists but clearly signed expecting to start. It’s a downgrade on Pukki for me and unless idah or Sargent depart suggests our front three is sorted- which stinks of lower champs to me. On other hand I do see he brings the dog we have been missing for the fight and is a leader. 

Oh Well, not much new there then, Bootso not happy. I'm shocked.

Mumba should be licking his lips here and REALLY aiming for one of the winger positions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

What you need to ask yourself is if you want to be sat 70 mins against Ipswich and it's 0-0 if you'd want the face of Barnes warming up by the side or Idah.

Depends really. If Barnes is warming up and it's still 0-0 then Idah was probably starting 😧

In all seriousness, personally I'm not overly keen on the signing but he undoubtedly has things he can add to our squad and I see no point in decrying the necessary rebuild already. Welcome Barnes.

And on Sargent, notching 13 goals in a team that struggled several times to get a single shot on target, playing most of the time as a completely unsuitable wide attacker- with a season of starts up top he absolutely can finish on 20+. For those wondering on formation, check out tifofootballs video on Wagners Schalke tactic- I think this is whereabouts we're aiming.

Edited by Mason 47
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Depends really. If Barnes is warming up and it's still 0-0 then Idah was probably starting 😧

In all seriousness, personally I'm not overly keen on the signing but he undoubtedly has things he can add to our squad and I see no point in decrying the necessary rebuild already. Welcome Barnes.

And on Sargent, notching 13 goals in a team that struggled several times to get a single shot on target, playing most of the time as a completely unsuitable wide attacker- with a season of starts up top he absolutely can finish on 20+. For those wondering on formation, check out tifofootballs video on Wagners Schalke tactic- I think this is whereabouts we're aiming.

Oh I can think of worse signings. But Pukki replacement to get me excited for the coming season- no. He is older and much less prolific. 

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Oh I can think of worse signings. But Pukki replacement to get me excited for the coming season- no. He is older and much less prolific. 

It isn't necessarily about replacing Pukki directly, and this is the reason I'm willing to give it time. It was patently obvious that whatever system we were trying to put together did not suit a striker like Teemu, so it makes sense that we've recruited a very different type of striker.

I say this as someone on the skeptical side of the Barnes signing. If he improves our overall ability to threaten the goal consistently, he's absolutely worth it.

18 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

It isn't necessarily about replacing Pukki directly, and this is the reason I'm willing to give it time. It was patently obvious that whatever system we were trying to put together did not suit a striker like Teemu, so it makes sense that we've recruited a very different type of striker.

I say this as someone on the skeptical side of the Barnes signing. If he improves our overall ability to threaten the goal consistently, he's absolutely worth it.

Sure - I can give the benefit of doubt. It’s about what happens next. If the club loan idah to Lowestoft town or another club of his ability and then signs the 20 goal a season striker we need- excellent business. 

But if, as I suspect, this is the Pukki replacement and we run with idah, Sarge and Ashley…that isn’t inspiring me with confidence. Maybe 20 goals between the lot of them. 

34 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We arent replacing Pukki like for like. Which is sensible considering we haven't been able to play to his strengths. Sargent scored 13 goals despite being out wide for long periods of the season. He will be the main striker and rightfully so.

Sargent was joint 12th top scorer this season despite the above so to class as lower champs is factually incorrect...as per.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We arent replacing Pukki like for like. Which is sensible considering we haven't been able to play to his strengths. Sargent scored 13 goals despite being out wide for long periods of the season. He will be the main striker and rightfully so.

Sargent was joint 12th top scorer this season despite the above so to class as lower champs is factually incorrect...as per.

I like Sarge - but he’s too often played as a winger not a striker. And post World Cup his form was pretty poor 

Not the biggest fan- but I wish him well and hope he can change my mind about him- lets hope there are going to be more quality players in but pleased not to many journey men

I'm no fan of Sargent, but I think he'll get goals. We can say goodbye to anything resembling Farkeball, though - Sargent just doesn't have the touch for that kind of thing. When Barnes was first suggested, I called him a thug, which on reflection was much too strong and I can see how that kind of player might have a role to play, but a forward line of him, Sargent and Idah hardly inspires. If we lose Sara, there's no creativity at all with Dowell gone.

21 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I like Sarge - but he’s too often played as a winger not a striker. And post World Cup his form was pretty poor 

Surely he will play up top as much as possible next season though?

Agree he was poor after world cup though.

19 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Highly doubt he's being brought in to be number one, I imagine it's for his age and experience which I agree is something we can use

Our major investment is in Sargent. 

Barnes’ value could certainly include mentoring and trying to drive Sargent to the level we need him to be at. 

The more cynical among us might suggest that they fit well together as both are strikers who don’t really score or look like natural footballers. 

Nevertheless I think he is a good and suitable signing for us in our current state. That is less of a compliment than it might sound however.

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 1

Time will obviously tell but I think there's strong logic behind this signing.

I think Barnes will be our primary shadow striker, Sargent will be our main striker but will drop into the shadow role when  Idah plays. It's a rotation that just makes sense for Wagner's desired system.

17 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not sure everyone would have expected him to say it was the ambition to get back to the Premier League which attracted him, apparently the owners don’t want to be there. 😐

Zoe put them right on that by saying her job depends on Parachute Payments. She meant Parachute Receipts, just her English isn't very good.

17 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That is a list that suggests it's not a good idea to sign players that old. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That is a list that suggests it's not a good idea to sign players that old. I hope I'm wrong.

Barnes has just completed a full season in the Championship. And as others have pointed out, sports science and a sensible approach to diet etc are giving players a longer shelf-life. This year 41-year-old Ibrahimovic became the oldest ever goalscorer in Serie A. And it is not just football. James Anderson is still a world-class fast bowler, which is hardly an unstrenuous activity, at the age of 40. 

47 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Krul and O'Neil you could say were consistently successful out of that list, the rest pretty meh and forgettable (even McVeigh on his second stay with us, although occasionally he played some blinders). So that is a hit rate of 2 out of 15, it just adds to my anxiety that this window hasn't got off to the best of starts.

I hear you Purps on his likely good fitness and others suggesting his age, experience, grit and determination plus a little spark should galvanise the younger players around him, but he has to perform against the trend demonstrated by that list. Let's hope so.

15 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm no fan of Sargent, but I think he'll get goals. We can say goodbye to anything resembling Farkeball, though - Sargent just doesn't have the touch for that kind of thing. When Barnes was first suggested, I called him a thug, which on reflection was much too strong and I can see how that kind of player might have a role to play, but a forward line of him, Sargent and Idah hardly inspires. If we lose Sara, there's no creativity at all with Dowell gone.

If it helps, in 10 seasons at Burnley he was booked 52 times and sent off twice (both for second bookings).  So referees, at least, don't think him a thug.  He does let defenders know they're in a game!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Krul and O'Neil you could say were consistently successful out of that list, the rest pretty meh and forgettable (even McVeigh on his second stay with us, although occasionally he played some blinders). So that is a hit rate of 2 out of 15, it just adds to my anxiety that this window hasn't got off to the best of starts.

I hear you Purps on his likely good fitness and others suggesting his age, experience, grit and determination plus a little spark should galvanise the younger players around him, but he has to perform against the trend demonstrated by that list. Let's hope so.

You've only yourself to blame, shef. Attanasio got so spocked by your extremist demands on corporate governance that he has pulled out of the takeover. So geriatric journeymen are all we can afford.🤩

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Barnes has just completed a full season in the Championship. And as others have pointed out, sports science and a sensible approach to diet etc are giving players a longer shelf-life. This year 41-year-old Ibrahimovic became the oldest ever goalscorer in Serie A. And it is not just football. James Anderson is still a world-class fast bowler, which is hardly an unstrenuous activity, at the age of 40. 

That's interesting and worth serious thought. The old drink culture whilst playing  snooker in a smoke filled room or afternoons in the betting shop that used to be commonplace seems to have largely disappeared.

Was it not Jimmy Greaves who used to smoke in the changing room?

Greeves_Dyson_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1605372095

Whilst George Best was said to have turned up for games half pickled from the night before. These two were the noted because of their fame, but their examples were probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Long, long gone are the days when the Ashley Baernes's of this world had to head things the weight of medicine balls or run around in ill-fitting laced up clogs like Stanley Matthews did (oops, wrong example.)

Also, often ex-footballers used to become publicans, that seems less the case nowadays (they become agents instead.)

Now they go away on bonding sessions in the off-season, along with an army of trainers, dieticians, fitness experts and psychologists, all to healthier climes with fresher air and selected diets and play golf and croquet in their spare time rather than being left to their own means enabling them to spend their summers in the pubs, arcades and hot-spots of Cromer.

Nut cutlets, wheat germ and a vitamin packed smoothie for breakfast rather than two lightly grilled aspirins and black coffee?

I noted that, when discussing Bali Mumba, Wagner said that the youngster had been given a "life-style" programme to follow in the Summer in preparation for his return to the fold.

I suppose, in reality, all the above is nothing new, and it's just "stating the obvious day," but when questioning Ashley Barnes' age it all points to the fact that in footballing terms yesterday's 35 is today's 25, (or something like that.)  

Of course the other side of the coin is that these finely-honed thoroughbreds seem to get injured more and more frequently as the years go by, and they can even often seem to be in danger of pulling a ham string whilst stirring a cup of (herbal) tea.

Yes, I have got time on my hands since I cracked a bone in my foot some weeks ago. I cannot remember exactly how, although I vaguely remember dropping my wallet on it in the pub at about that time. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I still remember Albert Bennett stepping out at Carrow Road and simultaneously throwing away the fag end he had been puffing on! We were between managers at the time. I am guessing mid sixties?

He never did this when a manager was in post so I suppose he felt he could take liberties….

I remember going to watch my local cricket club (Sprowston) during the summer & sitting in the pavilion smoking a fag was Ian Crook.