Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Luton Deserve A Shot At The PL

For a team that had to fight their way back into the EFL only a short time ago, what they have achieved this session is just incredible. 

They put us to shame in so many ways. Their recruitment, their style of play,  passion, energy, determination, team work, their tackling, heading ability throughout the team and much more. 

Last night the whole team won so many tackles and moved the ball so quickly,  it made our team look pedestrian. I would take everyone of their team instead of who we have. 

And did you notice no playing out from the back? With big strikers who can head a ball,  this constantly pushed back Sunderland and didn't invite a high press from goal kicks that result with the obvious dangers that can occur.

Then of course we were watching NCFC rejects excelling on the pitch. Pritchard, Morris and Roberts. What does that say about our player development and recruitment?

So all season I have admired Luton, and It just shows you how poor our football management and recruitment has been. Webber has so much to answer,  and should hold his head in shame to what has been allowed to happen to us.

All this recruitment from South America when there are decent footballers here in the UK, and they don't have to cost £10m !!! We have got it sooooo wrong.

So, congratulations to little Luton Town, I hope they have a great win at Wembley and enjoy the ride in the EPL if they make it. It won't be easy if they do, but with what we saw yesterday, I think they will perform better than we did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't say they 'deserve' it until they win the Playoff final, but I'd like to see it. 

They'd be the modern Stoke, which would be a unique addition to the Premier League. Physical, direct football with plenty of crosses which would unsettle a lot of sides. The main difference being that Stoke were a rigid team out of possession who focused on their shape and being hard to break down, whereas Luton press with a lot more intensity.

• Like 1

"Why aren't we Luton?"

But yeah, fair play to them – also goes to show that you can change a manager mid-season without any apparent loss in continuity or achievement... as long as the manager is working to the same ethos. Just goes to show how illogical Smith's appointment was.

On the subject of 'phoenix from the flames' stories, would be great to see Mark Robins' Coventry also book their big day out tonight.

• Like 7

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Still Brentford or Brighton, surely!?

Don't forget Burnley...

Yes they played well but should have won by more. It was men against boys - an incredibly lightweight Sunderland team.

If you want a dig at Norwich then Luton players were all on the same page whereas our lot seldom seem to be reading the same book.

IF they get to the EPL that fitness and physicality won't be such an advantage but it would be great to see them give it a go.

I don't know peoples opinion on Coventry, but if they make the final don't they also deserve it given the turbelence they have experienced?

Personally I would prefer Norwich to be there but then again I am the odd one out

Having followed both clubs over the last few years I think it’s quite dangerous to draw too many comparisons given the relative size of the clubs 

we’ve been in premier league 2 of out of the last 4 seasons, Luton 0 

unless anyone had a crystal ball with Carlton morris he was awful with us but did well when played consistently at Barnsley 

Id hardly call Pritchard a reject, we sold him for more than we bought him for. Roberts attitude stank and was awful for us 

the fan base at Luton have realistic expectations and ambitions, we seem to have an overinflated opinion of ourselves 

sometimes clubs like Luton can feed off their fans and particularly when they have a ground like Kenilworth road. Is it sustainable? Probably not. If they get promoted then I hope they do well but let’s not kid ourselves that we can compare the two teams 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I don't know peoples opinion on Coventry, but if they make the final don't they also deserve it given the turbelence they have experienced?

You could equally say the same about Luton, betrayed by the fa and went down to conference to come all the way back would be incredible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Can hear them on MoTD now......."plucky little Luton". Sycophants

MoTD would be all over Kenilworth Road as well

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes they played well but should have won by more. It was men against boys - an incredibly lightweight Sunderland team.

If you want a dig at Norwich then Luton players were all on the same page whereas our lot seldom seem to be reading the same book.

IF they get to the EPL that fitness and physicality won't be such an advantage but it would be great to see them give it a go.

I think their fitness, physicality, shape and hard pressing, particularly at home are what would given them a hope of being surprisingly competitive in the PL if they went up. They’d need to spend the extra cash left over after the £10m of ground upgrades required on 3-4 players who bought into the ethos and could add quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

"Why aren't we Luton?"

But yeah, fair play to them – also goes to show that you can change a manager mid-season without any apparent loss in continuity or achievement... as long as the manager is working to the same ethos. Just goes to show how illogical Smith's appointment was.

On the subject of 'phoenix from the flames' stories, would be great to see Mark Robins' Coventry also book their big day out tonight.

Says a lot when a side with a 10,000 capacity stadium and a tiny to non existant budget that only a few years back was playing in the national league are about to go to Wembley for a chance to play in the Premier Leauge.. And we at the same time as this are stuck midtable in the championship

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Says a lot

Not really. It just confirms that football is a cyclical business. I'm really pleased for Luton and their fans but let's not pretend we can draw massive conclusions from their success and our failure this season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Personally I would prefer Norwich to be there but then again I am the odd one .

No need to thank me. 

i think it says more about how Luton play as a team 

where we look like he is a good player he will be fine 

i Would not say many of luton's players are better than ours individually but as a unit they play far better 

i think to much is made of playing out from the back yes the very good teams but there are lots of different styles that work Luton's for one 

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

If they don't go up, we need to be looking at one or two of that team.

Why would any of them want to take a massive step down and blight their prospects by joining us?

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Why would any of them want to take a massive step down and blight their prospects by joining us?

No. We need to look at National League North for targets.

That's where we're headed in a handcart...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Only for the past nine years though. 

They did release a new set of accounts yesterday! I'm awaiting an updated view for a full 10 years, but it might disprove some of the earlier narrative.

Fair play to 'em, I say. They've put together a team that works very effectively and plays to their strengths. And that kind of robust competitiveness might unnerve a few in the Premier League.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Says a lot when a side with a 10,000 capacity stadium and a tiny to non existant budget that only a few years back was playing in the national league are about to go to Wembley for a chance to play in the Premier Leauge.. And we at the same time as this are stuck midtable in the championship

Yes but it is not only us - we highlight Norwich because it is our team but there are plenty more that will think the same as us 

37 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

They did release a new set of accounts yesterday! I'm awaiting an updated view for a full 10 years, but it might disprove some of the earlier narrative.

I would be surprised if Luton spent a quarter of what NCFC and Burnley have spent on wages in the last 10 years. If you start making those comparisons as we have with Brentford, the one season wonder response is received. That is where Burnley differs.

Great stuff from Luton last night.  Superb corners and crossing with arc on the ball and players attacking it. Their Match Programme notes are building up and encouraging the fans. A million miles from where we are in attitude and approach.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I would be surprised if Luton spent a quarter of what NCFC and Burnley have spent on wages in the last 10 years. If you start making those comparisons as we have with Brentford, the one season wonder response is received. That is where Burnley differs.

Great stuff from Luton last night.  Superb corners and crossing with arc on the ball and players attacking it. Their Match Programme notes are building up and encouraging the fans. A million miles from where we are in attitude and approach.

Well said 

2 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Can hear them on MoTD now......."plucky little Luton". Sycophants

Yup, not even interested because of stuff like this.

Fed up completely with the entire system.

I hope Luton get promoted just so that poor old Derby's record low haul of points can be broken. A decent Champs team because of their organisation and workrate but they'll struggle to win a game in the EPL and they have no one who can change a game. If Carlton Morris is their star man.......

• Like 3