Sign in to follow this  
SwearyCanary

Women’s FA Cup final (ignore if you hate women’s football)

PLEASE DON’T READ ON IF ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS MOAN ABOUT WOMEN’S FOOTBALL NOT BEING MEN’S FOOTBALL. YOU HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO ENGAGE. 

Wembley sold out.

Not too shabby for a sport that many feel is being maliciously and subliminally etched into our minds. Might just be that people actually WANT to watch it (shock horror). 

Should be a good match up and I’m looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

PLEASE DON’T READ ON IF ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS MOAN ABOUT WOMEN’S FOOTBALL NOT BEING MEN’S FOOTBALL. YOU HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO ENGAGE. 

Wembley sold out.

Not too shabby for a sport that many feel is being maliciously and subliminally etched into our minds. Might just be that people actually WANT to watch it (shock horror). 

I’m with you but people are entitled to their views on this, what I don’t like is when it gets personal 

I’m not a huge fan of woman’s tennis but I can display that fact without needing to resort to sexist remarks - something many struggle with woman’s football. 

Fantastic to see another sell out, I remember about 10-15 years ago I went to watch arsenal v Bristol ladies at Doncaster in the FA Cup final there was probably about 3,000 there, Alex Scott was playing for Arsenal. How times have changed hey? And changed for the better 

unfortunately (and you probably know this) you won’t get the same friendly reaction from some of the dinosaurs on here 

• Like 1

It is a strange one - I don’t have an issue with whatever sport there is, be it men or women, but people are entitled to their opinion.

The women’s football thing is odd insofar as they appear to be able to sell occasional big games very well (eg 60k at Arsenal recently), but taking Chelsea as a yardstick, they play (mostly) at Kingsmeadow, a mile or two from me, which holds 4850 and never seems to sell out; then I think they had one game at Stamford Bridge which got 38000.  It will be interesting to see if it ever manages the same as the men, my feeling is that it will never quite manage due to the men’s game being so established (we just don’t have the time/money to follow both to the same extent). But long may it continue to do well. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Long may women's football prosper. We are football fans after all, right?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is a strange one - I don’t have an issue with whatever sport there is, be it men or women, but people are entitled to their opinion.

The women’s football thing is odd insofar as they appear to be able to sell occasional big games very well (eg 60k at Arsenal recently), but taking Chelsea as a yardstick, they play (mostly) at Kingsmeadow, a mile or two from me, which holds 4850 and never seems to sell out.

The attendances are markedly better than 5-10 years ago 

there are clearly going to be games where the demand is bigger, the arsenal game you mentioned was v local Rivals spurs and also during international weekend 

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

The attendances are markedly better than 5-10 years ago 

there are clearly going to be games where the demand is bigger, the arsenal game you mentioned was v local Rivals spurs and also during international weekend 

I was actually talking about their recent Barca game - but I think the game v Spuds did also get a decent crowd.  I suppose football is football - generally it is lower crowds but improving - FA Youth games will attract large attendances at times, not others.

2 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Wembley sold out.

Honestly it's impossible for some people. Can't get their head around the idea that not every mention of it needs to be a referendum on the sport itself.

As for the game, Chelsea are such a dominant force at the moment and Kerr clearly buoyed by her Player of the Season award.

• Like 2

I watched it and enjoyed it. Sam Kerr would walk into the Norwich team. Not a sell out, but still a record attendance.

• Like 1

WWWWWOOOOOMMMMMEEEEENNNNNSSSSS FFFOOOOOTTTTTBBBBAAAAALLLLLL!!!!????? 

next they'll want to vote!!!!!! 

🤯🤯😡😡😡 

😉

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

what I don’t like is when it gets personal 

59 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

you won’t get the same friendly reaction from some of the dinosaurs on here 

So as long as it’s a general insult it’s ok ? ( smiley winky face )

51 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The women’s football thing is odd insofar as they appear to be able to sell occasional big games very well (eg 60k at Arsenal recently), but taking Chelsea as a yardstick, they play (mostly) at Kingsmeadow, a mile or two from me, which holds 4850 and never seems to sell out; then I think they had one game at Stamford Bridge which got 38000.  It will be interesting to see if it ever manages the same as the men, my feeling is that it will never quite manage due to the men’s game being so established (we just don’t have the time/money to follow both to the same extent). But long may it continue to do well. 

This. 100%.

No problem whatsoever with Women’s football. Massively object to the pretence that it’s in demand or mainstream. 

They play some good stuff. Didn't watch it today but not unhappy to watch. Some good players such as Williamson and Bronze and overseas such as Kerr and Miedema.

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

So as long as it’s a general insult it’s ok ? ( smiley winky face )

Haha - rather than an insult it’s a fact when you see comments like ‘they should be in the kitchen’ etc 

a friend of mine is the highest ranked female coach in the men’s game and has had a few comments but to be honest she brushes them off and just cracks on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

This. 100%.

No problem whatsoever with Women’s football. Massively object to the pretence that it’s in demand or mainstream. 

How can you say it’s not in demand? 

3 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

This. 100%.

Honestly, what a bizarre opinion. They've packed nearly 75000 into Wembley, it's on the radio regularly, the audience figures for the international competitions are through the roof and more locally the NCFC women's team just played at Carrow Road in a match heralded as a huge success - and you don't think it's "in demand"?

Absolute nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

This. 100%.

Love how you can have no problem but still a ‘massive’ objection to it. I guess the 73,000 at the game thought they were watching take that? 

My daughter has joined a local football club for girls. They had to double the coaches because so many girls showed up. It is on a radio Norfolk report if you don’t believe me. 

My neice played at a cup final at Youngs park in Aylsham Saturday. There were SIX all female matches being played that day. It was cold as ****y and the place was full of very satisfied spectators. 

TV rights for games are being snapped up by companies who know what they’re talking about. The Euros was watched by millions upon millions in this country. 

I massively object to your denial that’s it’s in demand and mainstream and you are clearly threatened by it growing further for some weird reason. 

• Like 2

As ever the attendance figures don’t make huge sense - 77000 for a ‘sell-out’ in a 90000 capacity stadium….were there really 13000 corporate/whatever members not there? All a bit strange.

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Love how you can have no problem but still a ‘massive’ objection to it. I guess the 73,000 at the game thought they were watching take that? 

My daughter has joined a local football club for girls. They had to double the coaches because so many girls showed up. It is on a radio Norfolk report if you don’t believe me. 

My neice played at a cup final at Youngs park in Aylsham Saturday. There were SIX all female matches being played that day. It was cold as ****y and the place was full of very satisfied spectators. 

TV rights for games are being snapped up by companies who know what they’re talking about. The Euros was watched by millions upon millions in this country. 

I massively object to your denial that’s it’s in demand and mainstream and you are clearly threatened by it growing further for some weird reason. 

Well said - the main issue I encounter is the sustainability of it. You have a lot of girls teams but sadly they don’t carry on into adults football for various reasons, this is the only way I can see it not taking off. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

As ever the attendance figures don’t make huge sense - 77000 for a ‘sell-out’ in a 90000 capacity stadium….were there really 13000 corporate/whatever members not there? All a bit strange.

I understand that Wembley Club seats don't qualify the owner for admission to Women's matches but also can't be sold to the public. So you can sell out but still have 13,000 seats unoccupied. It is indeed very strange, like having both FACup semi's in the men's game at Wembley. That's modern football.

Ticket Prices:

Category 1 - £30

Category 2 - £25                    Prices for the Women's FA CUP Wembley yesterday.....

Category 3 - £15

Concession (OAP/Student) - £10

Junior (Under 16) - £5

Group Adult (9+) - £15

Category Adult Concession
1 £145 £135
2 £115 £105
3 £70 £60
4 £45 £35

Prices for the men's FA CUP Wembley.....

Slight variation in prices for the Women and Men's Finals....Why?

6 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Ticket Prices:

Category 1 - £30

Category 2 - £25                    Prices for the Women's FA CUP Wembley yesterday.....

Category 3 - £15

Concession (OAP/Student) - £10

Junior (Under 16) - £5

Group Adult (9+) - £15

Category Adult Concession
1 £145 £135
2 £115 £105
3 £70 £60
4 £45 £35

Prices for the men's FA CUP Wembley.....

Slight variation in prices for the Women and Men's Finals....Why?

Supply and demand 

Glad the ladies are not playing City at the moment -they would certainly give the mens team a  run around