cambridgeshire canary

Pink'Un reporting that Ashley Barnes deal done

I'm not against this one as he's proven better quality than what we have now. I fear we won't be able to say that about many of our signings this summer.

Free transfer, but he'll command a decent salary.

Old, cheap and past it 

this my friends is our future, hopefully we will avoid relegation next season 

46 minutes ago, Bert said:

Old, cheap and past it 

this my friends is our future, hopefully we will avoid relegation next season 

Enough about you, now what about this Barnes geezer?

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Enough about you, now what about this Barnes geezer?

Sound of nail being hit on the head 😀

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Are you from Burnley? If not i suggest that you put a sock in it....or move to Burnley and  get some clues. 

No. Born and bred in Norwich, the first house I lived in had an outside loo.

I did learn early on in life though that the Lancashire mill towns were the home of the round ball game whereas Wales where most of our Board Members seem to originate from was the home of the oval ball game. 

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

No. Born and bred in Norwich, the first house I lived in had an outside loo.

I did learn early on in life though that the Lancashire mill towns were the home of the round ball game whereas Wales where most of our Board Members seem to originate from was the home of the oval ball game. 

Ok , just put  a sock in it then. 

Nice first incoming despite what the rope and wobbly stool brigade will have you believe - said when we were linked this is the sort of player we've missed... Get one more experienced player in into midfield or center half and then build with younger talent around them. 

• Like 3

As ever, the players we get will be a mixture of out-and-our first teamers and squad players, experienced and inexperienced. There is nothing wrong in this…anyone expecting a long line of £20m players will have a long wait!

• Like 2

33 years old! Experienced he may be, he may come with bags of grit and determination, but it will be on 33 year old legs. Also last season he was playing in a team that quite frankly made him look good with excellent supply from talented players. Are there any more old past it’s out there looking for an easy time to see out their career? This is the level to which Norwich City have dropped. Sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

33 years old! Experienced he may be, he may come with bags of grit and determination, but it will be on 33 year old legs. Also last season he was playing in a team that quite frankly made him look good with excellent supply from talented players. Are there any more old past it’s out there looking for an easy time to see out their career? This is the level to which Norwich City have dropped. Sad.

Couldn’t it possibly be that he was good, rather than ‘made to look good’?

Being written off at 33 is utterly ridiculous - at that age Shearer played another 3 seasons in the PL, 97 games. 

We will only get two months of him at 33. So in reality a 34 year old who even in his prime didn’t score much. Put me in the totally underwhelmed camp 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Best not judge a 33 year old who is a professional athlete and has just finished a season with 38 appearances as an ‘old past it’. You may well have been done by 33 as a prospect, but I’ll bet a chunk of money you didn’t watch many Burnley games last year. Not sure he was made to look good by the talent around him, but also how well can you judge whether the talent made him look good or he allowed the talent the opportunity to show how talented they were? 

Pant wetting, doom mongering bollo**s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We will only get two months of him at 33. So in reality a 34 year old who even in his prime didn’t score much. Put me in the totally underwhelmed camp 

Quelle surprise.

Tell us who would ‘whelm’ you as a signing, as this summer could get a bit boring, 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

This isn't the 1970's anymore, just because someone is over 30 doesn't mean they need to be ordering knee supports and adult nappies, he's a professional athlete who could outrun 99.9% of the people who post on this forum!!  

We signed Dion when he was 37!!! Didn't go too badly did it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

I thought that the self sustaining model Norwich was operating under required that the Club bought young, motivated players who can be brought on and sold at a huge profit? There will be no profit margin in an old, slow , injury prone,  has-been at the end of his contract.

My point in quoting the above is to ask what our strategy actually is now? As this signing does go totally against the stated strategy. I hope Webber gets challenged on this on May 19th.

If nothing else at least he can confirm or deny Barnes' signing then if no official confirmation by then. Or just lie. 😉 

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

My point in quoting the above is to ask what our strategy actually is now? As this signing does go totally against the stated strategy. I hope Webber gets challenged on this on May 19th.

If nothing else at least he can confirm or deny Barnes' signing then if no official confirmation by then. Or just lie. 😉 

Not convinced it does go against the strategy, especially when a weakness in the team is the lack of a spine through it, or indeed we lost the spine of leadership when Gibson, Hanley AND McLean all went down injured at once. Not to mention we have two young strikers in Idah and Sargent who need to learn their trade at this level.

They're more likely to learn from Barnes, who is more similar to them in style and has a recent league title win in this division compared to an "off the shoulder" striker like Pukki.

A strong spine of experienced pros is invaluable for younger players to come in and flourish.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Barnes 33 should fit in quite well with Tim Krull 35, Grant Hanley 31, Kenny McLean 31, Ben Gibson 30, Onel Hernandez 30. None of these players should be written off just because they are seniors but the recruitment of older players in a team that already has plenty of experience smacks of lack of ambition. No doubt Webber will also be trawling the loaner market looking for other clubs unwanted journeymen.

• Like 1

Not comparing the two in terms of skill/ability but I didn't think that 37 year old Dzeko looked too bad for Inter Milan the other night. Being over 30 doesnt always mean you cant play an important role in a team.

• Like 1

Could argue that we are better off with mature motivated players coming towards the end of their career rather than youngsters always having their heads turned by the next career move.

3 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Not comparing the two in terms of skill/ability but I didn't think that 37 year old Dzeko looked too bad for Inter Milan the other night. Being over 30 doesnt always mean you cant play an important role in a team.

Didn’t realise he was quite that old - played a very good game, great finish. Someone should tell him he’s over the hill as he doesn’t seem to have got the message!

29 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Totally agree - you can bet he be injured within the first 2 months- and you can bet city going to be filled with out of contract journey men

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was about to make the same point, because, at the risk of being picky, this happens here all the way through transfer windows. The pink un is not saying anything definitive. It is simply repeating a report from elsewhere, which might or might not be accurate.

That’s literally what the Pinkun does. Repeat stuff that is available to read elsewhere. 

No exclusives. No ITK. It’s basically a central repository for NCFC related reports/stories from journalists around the country to be echoed. 

Just now, CanaryNath said:

That’s literally what the Pinkun does. Repeat stuff that is available to read elsewhere. 

No exclusives. No ITK. It’s basically a central repository for NCFC related reports/stories from journalists around the country to be echoed. 

I mentioned that to Paddy Davitt once and he got very upset that I mentioned that the Pinkun was almost copy and paste from other media sources 😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

My point in quoting the above is to ask what our strategy actually is now? As this signing does go totally against the stated strategy.

As the old adage goes, One swallow does not Summer make.  I should know as she's kissed it back into my throat before, lovely girl, little bit freaky though.

So I think people are really over-emphasising what is essentially a free transfer and we're paying a few mil in wages to bring a very experienced head, current championship winner and a bit of a ****ester which we've been lacking. 

25 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

It doesn't go against the strategy at all.

Just like signing Hanley / Gibson didn't go against the strategy.

The strategy doesn't, or at least shouldn't mean we can only sign 21 year olds from leagues over the world. It may be our priority / go-to / preference but it should never be the only. 

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

As the old adage goes, One swallow does not Summer make.  I should know as she's kissed it back into my throat before, lovely girl, little bit freaky though.

So I think people are really over-emphasising what is essentially a free transfer and we're paying a few mil in wages to bring a very experienced head, current championship winner and a bit of a ****ester which we've been lacking. 

If Webber is asked the question I posed, then he maybe will reveal that he has plenty of signings lined up that meet the stated strategy. This journalism malarkey is not that difficult, if you are free to ask the right question in a way that forces more than just a bland reply.

Help me understand this move? He's ... well past his prime, probably will be on high wages, and doesn't fit in with Webber's longstanding approach of playing more technically-oriented football? If we want a bigger striker to lump the ball up to ... why not just play Sargent until he drops each match?

Overall ... I just worry that we don't have a cohesive setup/transfer strategy going into this crucial summer window. I fear we still have no identity.

1 minute ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Help me understand this move? He's ... well past his prime, probably will be on high wages, and doesn't fit in with Webber's longstanding approach of playing more technically-oriented football? If we want a bigger striker to lump the ball up to ... why not just play Sargent until he drops each match?

Overall ... I just worry that we don't have a cohesive setup/transfer strategy going into this crucial summer window. I fear we still have no identity.

Burnley hardly lumped it up this season.