Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Milan derby

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

Again. No I wouldn’t. Unless you were annoyed by other people saying it another way 

I would laugh at you pronouncing it "German" if I'm honest as it doesn't even make phonetical sense to me, so am guilty on that front. 

But the egg would be on my face, as it was me in the wrong.

5 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I would laugh at you pronouncing it "German" if I'm honest as it doesn't even make phonetical sense to me, so am guilty on that front. 

But the egg would be on my face, as it was me in the wrong.

No guilt. no egg. No wrong. No hypocrisy 

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh it’s always been Inter and Milan as far as I recall - it’s not a generational thing, I’m plenty old enough not to be ‘this’ generation.

Yeah, this. The English-speaking world are the only ones who use 'AC Milan' and 'Inter Milan', as opposed to the rest of the world that uses the correct terms 'Milan' and 'Inter'. 

It's would be like a non-English calling the two Liverpool clubs 'Liverpool FC' and 'Liverpool Everton', as an example.

32 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Never knew that was pronounced "German", I pronounce it "Juh-Mayn" lol...

Thank god you don't know me in real life, you'd have a feeled day pointing out such pronunciations! :classic_biggrin:

You could avoid the problem by just using the initials, but I suppose then you would have to decide whether to pronounce them the French way or the English way…

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You could avoid the problem by just using the initials, but I suppose then you would have to decide whether to pronounce them the French way or the English way…

Don’t complicate things by simplifying them purple 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Why would we pronounce the initials of Italian clubs in a French way ?  

Also doesn't the whole issue stem from both clubs being founded by English people living in Italy at the time, hence why the Anglicised "Milan" was used rather than the proper "Milano".

Apparently AC Milan was founded by a textile worker from Nottingham, this is a fictionalised story about it if anyone is interested (I used to know the author if anyone is interested ). The Lord of Milan - English: Amazon.co.uk: Nieri, Robert: 9781367101517: Books

3 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Why would we pronounce the initials of Italian clubs in a French way ?  

Also doesn't the whole issue stem from both clubs being founded by English people living in Italy at the time, hence why the Anglicised "Milan" was used rather than the proper "Milano".

Apparently AC Milan was founded by a textile worker from Nottingham, this is a fictionalised story about it if anyone is interested (I used to know the author if anyone is interested ). The Lord of Milan - English: Amazon.co.uk: Nieri, Robert: 9781367101517: Books

The conversation had passed onto to how to pronounce Paris St-Germain or in this case PSG!🤩

There are clubs around the world with English names, and in most cases because they were founded by Brits, or as a tribute because the game had originated in Britain.

The Strongest in Bolivia, Young Boys in Switzerland, River Plate in Argentina and Corinthians in Brazil, for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

The conversation had passed onto to how to pronounce Paris St-Germain or in this case PSG!

Puh.. Suh.. Guh..   Buh!

46 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Field.  You're welcome, a different angle of pedantry.  

Oh nip it in the butt you, putting me on tender hooks!

I meant 'feeled' as in "Their having a feeled day driving around with they're new windowscreen".   To all intensive purposes, It's a mute point, anyway. :classic_wink:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Oh nip it in the butt you, putting me on tender hooks!

I meant 'feeled' as in "Their having a feeled day driving around with they're new windowscreen".   To all intensive purposes, It's a mute point, anyway. :classic_wink:

What do you  mean, pacifically? 🤭

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Matter of opinion. For a regular viewer of Italian football, a match such as this in a Champions League semi-final is a special occasion.

Fair enough, enjoy. 

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Glenn Hoddle is really winding me up with his constant references to 'AC'.

It's Milan, for ****s's sake!

Every time he speaks I wonder how on earth he became England manager! 

Maybe the best thing to do to settle all this, is to go get an American (a proper one who's never left the country and believes the good old US of A is the best of the best of the best, sir) and ask them how all these things are pronounced!!? 

That'll do it buh.