Canary Jedi

Congrats Coventry and Mark Robins

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The third highest wage bill in the league? Surely the highest especially when all those backroom staff to wipe Stu"s brow are included.

It varies with the source used for the information. Mine put us behind Watford and Burnley, but you may be right.

Our highest earner was cited as Ben Gibson (believe,) whilst we paid  £50, 000 per week for our two 'keepers.

Football clubs bleed money. Ours more than most it seems, especially relative to means.

Edited by BroadstairsR

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You make a valid point.

Even just taking this season in isolation, people are judging Wagner based on a run where we had injuries to key players. I'm guilty of doing it too, because we've had to watch it....

Coventry had the same problem at the start of this season and were much closer to relegation than promotion, losing 3-0 to us as a Dean Smith side in the process..

They were bottom of the league at in October. 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

It varies with the source used for the information. Mine put us behind Watford and Burnley, but you may be right.

Our highest earner was cited as Ben Gibson (believe,) whilst we paid  £50, 000 per week for our two 'keepers.

Football clubs bleed money. Ours more than most it seems, especially relative to means.

One listing on here put us way ahead.

Companies House all wage declarations show we spent £25 million more than Burnley last season and they are cutting their cloth accordingly following last years relegation. Highly unlikely they will have spent more than us in winning the title.

The Webber's probably enjoy rewards 10 times what Neil Doncaster was paid for the same job 20 years ago yet Season Ticket prices the highest in the EFL and Club shares apparently worth no more than they were 20 years ago. Therefore your last comment is spot on,

Edited by essex canary

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Companies House all wage declarations show we spent £25 million less than Burnley last season and they are cutting their cloth accordingly following last years relegation. Highly unlikely they will have spent more than us in winning the title.

Posted results will show the expenditure for the previous season - ie when we were both in the Premier League. We spent £118 million on wages, Burnley spent £92 million - so we spent £26 million more than they did, not the other way round. There was always a lot of rubbish spoken on these boards about how low our wages were compared to other clubs.

58 minutes ago, Badger said:

Loving the Mark Robins love-in! He has done a brilliant job at Coventry and I hope he goes up. However, not so sure of this "attractive and attacking" slant that some have suggested.

The main point to me is that he has been there for 6 years and able to build and develop a side - it is the sort of luxury many on here seem to be reluctant to grant a manager that we appoint: some were seriously calling for Wagner's head after three months!

I take your point about time being given to managers, but they only should get time if there are signs of progress. Robins throughout his period at Coventry has generally over, say, each three month period demonstrated some forward progress in terms of results and performance (reviewing on a quarterly basis you can accept the odd heavy defeat and poor performance).

As you and Hoggy have said, Wagner has had one quarter so far, but the side went backwards in terms of results and performance in that quarter, quite a difference to what Coventry have consistently experienced under Robins. Wagner's only get outs at this stage are the level of injuries to our more experienced players and the fact it is an inherited squad. By the end of next October he needs to have demonstrated some real progress to retain the wholehearted support of managers and fans alike, as Robins has enjoyed at Coventry.  

• Like 1

Just now, shefcanary said:

I take your point about time being given to managers, but they only should get time if there are signs of progress. Robins throughout his period at Coventry has generally over, say, each three month period demonstrated some forward progress in terms of results and performance (reviewing on a quarterly basis you can accept the odd heavy defeat and poor performance).

As you and Hoggy have said, Wagner has had one quarter so far, but the side went backwards in terms of results and performance in that quarter, quite a difference to what Coventry have consistently experienced under Robins. Wagner's only get outs at this stage are the level of injuries to our more experienced players and the fact it is an inherited squad. By the end of next October he needs to have demonstrated some real progress to retain the wholehearted support of managers and fans alike, as Robins has enjoyed at Coventry.  

Spot on. Of course sacking Wagner at this moment in time would be grossly inappropriate. We are not Chelsea, Watford etc., but that run-in does raise serious doubts about the man's ability, if nothing else. 

I suppose if there is some sort of serious hierarchical shift over the next few months that Webber might eventually be knocked from off his cosy perch and Wagner's position might therefore be threatened even if things are looking up by the end of October.

Quite frankly, the fact that we are fearing that they won't and that this fear has a  genuine foundation is quite disturbing.

15 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Robins is perceived as being a good manager, and he probably justifies that, but his managerial career to date is somewhat chequered. He never seems to have stayed in one job for long, had a couple of sackings, did a Lambert-like exodus the first time he was at Coventry (for Huddersfield no less) and the Chumps is his highest level in management.

2007–2009 Rotherham United
2009–2011 Barnsley
2012–2013 Coventry City
2013–2014 Huddersfield Town
2014–2016 S****horpe United
2017– Coventry City

I'd still welcome him back at Carrow Road though and this second spell at Coventry is his longest by far, and his most successful.

Nb: S****horpe ??? 

“He never seems to have stayed in one job for long”?!

What a strange statement. He is the longest serving manager in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Posted results will show the expenditure for the previous season - ie when we were both in the Premier League. We spent £118 million on wages, Burnley spent £92 million - so we spent £26 million more than they did, not the other way round. There was always a lot of rubbish spoken on these boards about how low our wages were compared to other clubs.

Thanks for that correction Badger. My unintended error. My original posting now corrected to match both our intended conclusions.

Edited by essex canary

1 hour ago, Davidlingfield said:

“He never seems to have stayed in one job for long”?!

What a strange statement. He is the longest serving manager in the Championship.

I did point out that his current spell at Coventry was his longest and most successful spell as a manager which has, after all, been a career lasting nearly 23 years.

Take another look at his managerial history before 2017.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Thanks for that correction Badger. My unintended error. My original posting now corrected to match both our intended conclusions.

👍

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Robins was always likely to be afforded more time because, whilst everyone saw the background-noise around Coventry, the stadium and ownership as a huge negative, it actually relieved pressure from Robins during bad runs too!

Robins or Martin won't be coming to city anytime soon. Both are too forward thinking and dynamic for City. 

34 minutes ago, City fan said:

Robins or Martin won't be coming to city anytime soon. Both are too forward thinking and dynamic for City. 

Agreed - why on earth would they see a mid-table Championship team with a recruitment policy of mid-30 year old players as a step forward from their current roles??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Coventry were bottom of the table in October after three months of the season having finished 12th in 2022, so he has not shown forward progress in each three month period. Coventry showed faith in Robins unlike WBA and Middlesborough in their managers or City in ours.

27 minutes ago, Badger said:

Coventry were bottom of the table in October after three months of the season having finished 12th in 2022, so he has not shown forward progress in each three month period. Coventry showed faith in Robins unlike WBA and Middlesborough in their managers or City in ours.

to be fair that was mainly because they had not played as many games because of issues with their pitch. In fact Robins deserves even more praise for how he has had to deal with those sort of off the field issues. 

What he and Coventry have and what we miss the most is team spirit and a sense of togetherness amongst players and fans. I know people feel our squad isnt good enough but I think we DO have the quality in the squad for the play offs if we could generate a bit of team spirit and get them playing as a cohesive unit for more than 15 minutes a game.

16 hours ago, rock bus said:

to be fair that was mainly because they had not played as many games because of issues with their pitch. In fact Robins deserves even more praise for how he has had to deal with those sort of off the field issues. 

What he and Coventry have and what we miss the most is team spirit and a sense of togetherness amongst players and fans. I know people feel our squad isnt good enough but I think we DO have the quality in the squad for the play offs if we could generate a bit of team spirit and get them playing as a cohesive unit for more than 15 minutes a game.

Partially rather than mainly I'd suggest. After 14 games they had 16 points which is the sort of form that would put you in the relegation picture regardless of matches played.

I agree with you about the the togetherness and team spirit but would suggest that this, at least partially, comes from lack of stability.