Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Pukki interview

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

…and he did it all for us, oh and around £9-10m pay.

So what if he got paid well? So did Naismith.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

There will always be people better off than you, always be people worse off than you, so why highlight what he has been paid?  He's made the most of his talent and reached the top of the game by proving himself at the top level. In doing that in a short career and for the enjoyment he's given us, he deserves every penny he gets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There will always be people better off than you, always be people worse off than you, so why highlight what he has been paid?  He's made the most of his talent and reached the top of the game by proving himself at the top level. In doing that in a short career and for the enjoyment he's given us, he deserves every penny he gets.

Whatever.  I just find it rather tiresome when people over-laud footballers - they are here mostly for the money, not some keenness to play for Norwich (or whoever it may be).

He’s done well while here -we’ve done well out of him and he’s done well out of us. I’ll clap him off along with everyone else, but the fawning is a bit over the top. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How anyone can have even an average word about Pukki, I'll never know. He's been a great player and a gentleman... and let's be honest not many of us expected him to be when he turned up as free transfer after flopping at Celtic. What a pleasant surprise he's been. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Whatever.  I just find it rather tiresome when people over-laud footballers - they are here mostly for the money, not some keenness to play for Norwich (or whoever it may be).

Well cats are like that, but we still love them.  (Replacing money for food, of course)

Edited by Google Bot

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

If that's all then it's very good value. Replacing him right now like for like if a bit younger would easily cost twice that or more.

He's arguably our best value signing ever, full stop. 2 title winning promotions for £9-10m? Bargain of a lifetime.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

If that's all then it's very good value. Replacing him right now like for like if a bit younger would easily cost twice that or more.

He's arguably our best value signing ever, full stop. 2 title winning promotions for £9-10m? Bargain of a lifetime.

Nowhere near. Holt all day long for me - signed for very little, two promotions and we stayed up. Far more strings to his bow. Pukki isn’t even half the player without Emi and has been a passenger since January.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Nowhere near. Holt all day long for me - signed for very little, two promotions and we stayed up. Far more strings to his bow. Pukki isn’t even half the player without Emi and has been a passenger since January.

Think that's unfair. 

Fired us to two promotions and then scored 11 goals in the prem despite having nothing close to a good enough side behind him.

When you also consider that since Holt, the chasm between the championship and prem is even bigger..

He is right up there and rightly so.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Think that's unfair. 

Fired us to two promotions and then scored 11 goals in the prem despite having nothing close to a good enough side behind him.

When you also consider that since Holt, the chasm between the championship and prem is even bigger..

He is right up there and rightly so.

You’re entitled to your opinion, as am I. If I wanted a striker I’d go for Holt over Pukki every time, 100%.  
Edit: this does seem
 to have taken a turn that makes it sound that I don’t like Pukki - that’s totally not true, I just haven’t ever quite joined the love-in to the extent others have; he’s been a very good player for us, though not since Christmas. I hope he plays and scores on Monday, would be a good send off.

• Like 1

Just as you have 'cat people' and 'dog people', judging by the comments on here you have 'Holt people' and 'Pukki people'. I guess it depends on what we value most in a player.

By the way, I am not saying you can't be both, but I think supporters tend to swing one way or the other. (No lewd responses, please!)

Also by the way, I'm a Pukki person, just to put my cards on the table. 

14 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Just as you have 'cat people' and 'dog people', judging by the comments on here you have 'Holt people' and 'Pukki people'. I guess it depends on what we value most in a player.

By the way, I am not saying you can't be both, but I think supporters tend to swing one way or the other. (No lewd responses, please!)

Also by the way, I'm a Pukki person, just to put my cards on the table. 

Sounds like u have been watching Reggie Perrin. I didn't get where I am today by not knowing a pukki person or a Holt person when I see one 😁

Some rather harsh comments about Teemu, crikey we really are a strange fanbase.

£10m for 5 years for that return is an absolute steal and we'll never see that kind of value again.

Add on the goals he's scored at international level and the man is even more prolific.

He goes with our best wishes.

The GOAT.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

21 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

He’s done well while here -we’ve done well out of him and he’s done well out of us. I’ll clap him off along with everyone else, but the fawning is a bit over the top. 

Weird takes. All our players play for their professional contracts and what they’re paid. As do all our staff members. We’re all customers to the football club providing additional revenue and the club will generally try to get as much money as it can out of us with overpriced tickets, food, clothing, accessories etc etc.

If you want to look at it like that for Pukki then I’m not really sure how you can get much joy out of football?

Everything about football and supporting your local team is so much more than that though surely?

And in your next post as well you compare him to Holt. The same Grant Holt who handed in a transfer request in order to hold the club hostage for better pay? Why would you love him more when he clearly demonstrated his own selfish intentions far more than Teemu ever did?

I actually agree in the sense that Holt was the more lovable (on the pitch) though, just don’t understand why you’d use the comparison when the thrust of your prior posts were about footballers not really being loyal / only doing it for money etc.

Ultimately Holt was behind so many big moments on the pitch which secured legendary status (Ipswich hattrick, equaliser at Liverpool, equalising against Man United, goals against Arsenal, Everton, the moustache laugh at the 1-5 Ipswich away win, just random moments which would crack me up watching him, his general OTT tenacity at chasing defenders). Teemu on the other hand has been 5 years of machine-like consistency, he probably didn’t have the same level of leadership / personality as Holt and nor quite such ‘big’ moments - though there were definitely still plenty (Newcastle, Millwall, Bolton away, Man City).

Both players deserve our upmost respect and appreciation, you could argue Pukki deserves more for staying with us for 5 seasons consistently churning out the numbers he did without ever kicking up a fuss / throwing his toys out of the pram / demanding a move. DITTO Aarons, if we’re happy lamenting players like Buendia and Cantwell for wanting to jump ship for the first better opportunity they get then surely we can praise players who do show some loyalty?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

I feel like the chasm seems to have widened far more for NCFC than it has other teams…

22 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

If you can't recognise the value of a person without resorting to thinking about money, I think that is a shame.  He didn't have to come to Norwich and its been said many times he had better offers and came to us because he bought into what we were trying to do. The way he has conducted himself is also something that is above the level of a lot of footballers too. These type of players stand out from the crowd for their decency, their humility and their professionalism. Zimmermann was another. Money is just money and footballing heroes come in all shapes and sizes and money doesn't come into that.

The money footballers are paid is a subject that can be discussed anytime, but it is a separate issue to what a person does for a football club on the pitch and the way they are as human beings.

• Like 6

Watched it this morning. Good interview and I enjoyed it. Clearly Pukki enjoyed his time here especially under Farke with Emi.

Would have been better if it had been done in Paddy Davitt's spare room. Clearly heavily edited by a Leeds fan to show Pukki as a good signing who did well for our club.

How many caps did Iwan get for North Korea?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

If you can't recognise the value of a person without resorting to thinking about money, I think that is a shame.  He didn't have to come to Norwich and its been said many times he had better offers and came to us because he bought into what we were trying to do. The way he has conducted himself is also something that is above the level of a lot of footballers too. These type of players stand out from the crowd for their decency, their humility and their professionalism. Zimmermann was another. Money is just money and footballing heroes come in all shapes and sizes and money doesn't come into that.

The money footballers are paid is a subject that can be discussed anytime, but it is a separate issue to what a person does for a football club on the pitch and the way they are as human beings.

Way to go to utterly miss the point.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, it appears you have.  And who exactly is "fawning" over him?  Celebrating him, more like.

Nope.  I probably understand the economics of these things far better than you know, but that’s by the by.  And as for ‘celebrating’ him - yeah, whatever.

On 06/05/2023 at 11:17, Branston Pickle said:

I’ll clap him off along with everyone else, but the fawning is a bit over the top. 

Are you comparing Teemu with everyone else in that squad? Were we wrong to fawn over Emi?Nurse!

I'll never tell loyal NCFC supporters - the ones who actually go to home and away games - how they should express themselves towards the club / players, within reason of course - abuse is not ok. They are entitled to boo, shout, whistle, sarcastically applaud, and by the same token, cheer and fawn as they see fit. 

You saying "the fawning is over the top" says a lot more about you than it does about them.

33 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

Are you comparing Teemu with everyone else in that squad? Were we wrong to fawn over Emi?Nurse!

I'll never tell loyal NCFC supporters - the ones who actually go to home and away games - how they should express themselves towards the club / players, within reason of course - abuse is not ok. They are entitled to boo, shout, whistle, sarcastically applaud, and by the same token, cheer and fawn as they see fit. 

You saying "the fawning is over the top" says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Er, ok. I’m not sure you’ve read what I said. I just don’t go in for this footballers-on-pedestals thing, never have done and never will. He’s done pretty well for us, and we’ve done pretty well for him - it goes but he ways. I’ll cheer him off and wish him well.

Let's give him,  and the team all the support we can on Monday, and try to enjoy a win if that's possible.

Like many,  I am unhappy with management and the state of the club,  but I don't think this is the time to voice our discontent.

This is a farewell to Teemu and possibly Max, who I think we should give our voice of support too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Er, ok. I’m not sure you’ve read what I said. I just don’t go in for this footballers-on-pedestals thing, never have done and never will. He’s done pretty well for us, and we’ve done pretty well for him - it goes but he ways. I’ll cheer him off and wish him well.

You do you, Pickle, you do you. I'm not really the fawning type either, pedestals are for statues. 

Having said that, I'll sooner fawn over humble Pukki than over some diva like CR7..

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I'd correct a bit, if you allow. 😉 He has done extremely well for us and we have done pretty well for him (not getting in anyone to provide service and making him to stay this one last championship year when he would have wanted to play still on higher level lowers the "we've done well for him" meter quite a bit)

• Like 1

I’ve just watched a players “farewell to Teemu”, is there not a fan version of the video, where they collate memories of Teemu’s goals and best bits and what it means to the fan?? If there’s not there really should be…

On 06/05/2023 at 23:03, Branston Pickle said:

This is exactly why I eye roll teemu a bit to be honest.