Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Dowell, Byram and McGovern leaving

Disappointed re. Dowell(ed) but not surprised. 

Time for a new no.10! 

Shame re Dowell for me, but imagine he was on good wages.

Also in way with Byram, you just know he'll sign for a club in the Championship and play 46 f*cking consecutive games

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Not to say he's irreplaceable but letting Dowell walk for free when he's 25 years old and clearly good enough for this league is a mistake. As good a sign as any that the club hasn't been at its sharpest recently.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, repman said:

Not to say he's irreplaceable but letting Dowell walk for free when he's 25 years old and clearly good enough for this league is a mistake. As good a sign as any that the club hasn't been at its sharpest recently.

I always think comments like this are a bit stupid. It takes two to renew, and much like with Teemu, there could well have been a contract on the table for Kieron that he has chosen to reject.

I know it's fashionable to blame the club, but it's not always the club's fault.

• Like 7

Yep shame about Byram, he never got a solid injury-free run.

The only one I'm surprised about is Dowell, he looked really useful in the early games under Wagner and his absence coincided with us struggling to score, seems an odd one that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Shame re Dowell for me, but imagine he was on good wages.

Also in way with Byram, you just know he'll sign for a club in the Championship and play 46 f*cking consecutive games

I agree hoggy, 👍 I like Dowell and Byram and as you say   it's a no brainer, Byram injury free next season Àggggh.

Dowell  stars 🌟 🤩 for Glasgow Rangers.

It's now time for the Academy boys to really step up. It's now or never.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I always think comments like this are a bit stupid. It takes two to renew, and much like with Teemu, there could well have been a contract on the table for Kieron that he has chosen to reject.

I know it's fashionable to blame the club, but it's not always the club's fault.

It's certainly possible that he was set on leaving but coming into this season he was a 24 year old with decent experience in this league. If we knew he was going to go we could've got something for him instead of losing him for free before his peak years. 

Also the fact we waited so long to try to renew him probably didn't help our chances.

Dowell could have done a job for us next season. I'm actually mostly disappointed about Byram. I know it makes sense getting his wage of the books as he's been a proper sicknote, but surely he won't be signing anywhere for anything like what he's been getting paid, and could therefore have been worth a punt. We won't sign a better defender than him.

As hogesar said, it'll be pretty galling to watch him go somewhere and play a full season.

I mean McGovern bar some bizzare goalkeeper injury spree was never gonna play and is probably about to retire, Byram has clearly never fully recovered since his injury and is not that great right now, and Dowell despite coming good for Wagner right now is clearly a walking sicknote.

So nothing of any value lost..?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, repman said:

It's certainly possible that he was set on leaving but coming into this season he was a 24 year old with decent experience in this league. If we knew he was going to go we could've got something for him instead of losing him for free before his peak years. 

Also the fact we waited so long to try to renew him probably didn't help our chances.

Again, a post filled with assumptions.

How do you know we came into this season without trying to renew his contract?

Given the limited football he's had these last couple of seasons it wouldn't be a surprise if he had decided to leave some time ago.

• Like 1

With both I imagine there are probably contracts on the table but they've chosen not to renew. I don't think we would be offering top wages to players that look unlikely to maintain starting positions and both will get signing bonuses elsewhere as free transfers.

All players shuffling off is a bit of a shame, but it's clearly time for a reset. I spend a lot of time on this board arguing against 'change in whatever form it comes is better', only for the club to release 2 players with a combination of 90 apps since 2019 and suddenly change bad.

Hold on tight, it's going to be a tumultuous summer.

Didn't we get Dowell in for cover thinking that Cantwell was going?  Funny if they both end up at Rangers, really. 

Ignoring the unknown around wages and contracts, Dowell is a good player and (when fit, not often enough) offers a bit more quality in attack than our other midfielders. I'm hoping that Sara can play the number 10 role with Bali Mumba on the right and we won't miss Dowell at all. It does, however, seem a little disappointing to give Onel a new deal but let Dowell go. 

10 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It does, however, seem a little disappointing to give Onel a new deal but let Dowell go. 

Onel is probably happy to be at the club even if that means him being on the bench, I think for Dowell there's no guarantee of first team football due to his pace, reliability and the players we bring in next season and he's probably thinking he should be starting more?

It will be interesting if he moved somewhere like Rangers if he'd get plenty of first team action, though.  Not sure of their squad, really.  But that has to figure in this somewhere.

Edited by Google Bot

Just looked this up. With Dowell he has played a total of 2922 league minutes, according to whoscored.

Max Aarons by contrast, in the same period has played 10702.

I agree with those saying he's a good player. But maybe looking at it like that shows why perhaps it's right we don't renew.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

If we replace Dowell with someone who makes a difference and plays regularly, as opposed to Dowell who we only got fits and starts out of, we'll all move on very quickly.

Would love to see a proper midfield which would allow Sara to move into the No.10 and give him freedom. 

Dowell may well have been offered a contract but turned it down, so personally pleased he and Byram are being released. A fresh start and hopefully not crocked players. I see Marquinhos & hayden are also returning

We need a new influx of players. No point leaving players with dubious injury records in the squad.

Just now, Samwam27 said:

Dowell may well have been offered a contract but turned it down

Going from what Wagner had said between press conferences from past few games, I think that's definitely the case.

Initially he was talking positively about the club being in talks with him, the most recent was was far more negative.  Thing is, if the player wants guarantees of first team place, I don't know if it's possible to offer him that at this stage, and it could be the crux of this.

Won't really miss Dowell. He's never quite been the player we needed in his position, some quaility, but how long was he with us but never upped his defensive game enough? Had plenty of time to be the player we wanted.  

Byram I'd be a bit more disappointed with going, but his wages probably too high for the return he's been able to give and likely to give in the future.

McGovern leaving gives Barden the chance to be third choice, or even second if one of the senior goalies were to leave. Does anyone know the situation with Barden? I can't find out anything about him on his time at Maidenhead. 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Does anyone know the situation with Barden? I can't find out anything about him on his time at Maidenhead. 

According to transfermarkt Conceded goals like a m0f0, not one win or a single clean sheet:

Transfermarkt - Barden 22/23 | National League

Edited by Google Bot

Club loyalty is one thing but as far as I am concerned McGovern has just been taking the p***S.
42 appearances in 7years.
Bloody disgraceful Apart from having to get up in the morning and go to the gym to keep fit,what the hell has he achieved in 7 years.He might as well have been on the dole

58 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Disappointed re. Dowell(ed) but not surprised. 

Time for a new no.10! 

Bloody autocorrect 🤣, changed 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

what the hell has he achieved in 7 years.He might as well have been on the dole

Incredible work, really.  Imagine getting free access to the club facilities, training, prepared food plans, canteen AND getting paid a fortnight what many earn in a year for for it.

It's hard to be mad at him really, living the dream.

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Going from what Wagner had said between press conferences from past few games, I think that's definitely the case.

Initially he was talking positively about the club being in talks with him, the most recent was was far more negative.  Thing is, if the player wants guarantees of first team place, I don't know if it's possible to offer him that at this stage, and it could be the crux of this.

By leaving it so late we lost all our negotiating power as well. Considering that when fit under Wagner he started every game and we also have no similar profile to him in the squad he would've had as good a guarantee of a first team place as you can give.