Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

New site proposal

I've just read the slightly garbled message about changes to this site. I'm not sure what it means but it does just seem a matter of time before we're asked to pay. I can't see the point in arguing about the thinking behind the changes but I very much doubt that the site would survive if charges are introduced. 

There have been various suggestions over the years about a self funded site. I'm prepared to put in some money to help get it going and I'd be happy to help with moderation,not that it needs much. If I knew how to create a site I'd do it but I've got absolutely no tech skills whatsoever. 

In the first instance I'd suggest we need a trusted hand to compile a list of email addresses but I think it's important that we retain annonymity. That's not a problem, even I can set up a new email address. We need this to be able to communicate if the site is pulled and all we need is a list of email addresses along with current account names. 

Does anyone want to volunteer to hold a database? Suggestions below off the top of my head. Please don't be offended if I've forgotten you! 

@Feedthewolf

@sonyc

@ricardo

@TIL 1010

@PurpleCanary

@Herman

@shefcanary

All suggestions welcome about all aspects. 

It would be very sad to see this site come to an end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've just read the slightly garbled message about changes to this site. I'm not sure what it means but it does just seem a matter of time before we're asked to pay. I can't see the point in arguing about the thinking behind the changes but I very much doubt that the site would survive if charges are introduced. 

There have been various suggestions over the years about a self funded site. I'm prepared to put in some money to help get it going and I'd be happy to help with moderation,not that it needs much. If I knew how to create a site I'd do it but I've got absolutely no tech skills whatsoever. 

In the first instance I'd suggest we need a trusted hand to compile a list of email addresses but I think it's important that we retain annonymity. That's not a problem, even I can set up a new email address. We need this to be able to communicate if the site is pulled and all we need is a list of email addresses along with current account names. 

Does anyone want to volunteer to hold a database? Suggestions below off the top of my head. Please don't be offended if I've forgotten you! 

@Feedthewolf

@sonyc

@ricardo

@TIL 1010

@PurpleCanary

@Herman

@shefcanary

All suggestions welcome about all aspects. 

It would be very sad to see this site come to an end. 

I would definitely add @hogesar into this conversation.

Probably like a lot of people, I can't afford to pay for additional subscription services at the moment, so I won't be signing up for the Pinkun. Looking at general trends in regional media, coupled with the fact I worked at/with Archant for 17 years and it was in a parlous state when I left in 2019, I think it would definitely be advisable to set up a secondary forum ASAP.

This board will disappear one day, and potentially one day soon, leaving us with nothing to show for all the many years of community, PUPs community erased, and so on.

Even if we just leave the new site dormant, or just 'ticking over', it'd be good for everyone here to know it exists and how to access it, so if this site does go up in smoke we at least know where to meet.

Given the admin/IT team's reluctance/inability to fix even the simplest of issues (cache/bad request, emojis and so on), I think this site is being 'mothballed' and left to its own devices. It's up to anyone on the Archant side to prove to the contrary.

• Like 1

I think and hope you guys are overreacting.

You can’t charge for a message board, you just can’t. There’s too many free options for discussion groups - Reddit, discord, Facebook etc.

The only thing unique and appealing about this place is the posters, most of whom would surely leave if it was paywalled.

Plus they probably hope to convert a fair few poster’s to subscribers, you might force a few to subscribe but more likely you’ll destroy the community and put a lot of people off subscribing.

I doubt they’ll stop the free YouTube videos or podcasts and I see no reason you’d treat this place differently to that other free content.

Just my opinion but it’s a monumentally stupid idea if it happens.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think and hope you guys are overreacting.

You can’t charge for a message board, you just can’t. There’s too many free options for discussion groups - Reddit, discord, Facebook etc.

The only thing unique and appealing about this place is the posters, most of whom would surely leave if it was paywalled.

Plus they probably hope to convert a fair few poster’s to subscribers, you might force a few to subscribe but more likely you’ll destroy the community and put a lot of people off subscribing.

I doubt they’ll stop the free YouTube videos or podcasts and I see no reason you’d treat this place differently to that other free content.

Just my opinion but it’s a monumentally stupid idea if it happens.

I don't for a minute think they'd ever put the messageboard behind a paywall; my concern is that it may become an even lower priority as what's left of Archant struggles to keep afloat, and one day it'll just vanish. I think it would be prudent to put a backup plan in place now, and I've actually said this a couple of times recently when issues arise with the board and are roundly ignored by Archant Towers.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I would definitely add @hogesar into this conversation.

Probably like a lot of people, I can't afford to pay for additional subscription services at the moment, so I won't be signing up for the Pinkun. Looking at general trends in regional media, coupled with the fact I worked at/with Archant for 17 years and it was in a parlous state when I left in 2019, I think it would definitely be advisable to set up a secondary forum ASAP.

This board will disappear one day, and potentially one day soon, leaving us with nothing to show for all the many years of community, PUPs community erased, and so on.

Even if we just leave the new site dormant, or just 'ticking over', it'd be good for everyone here to know it exists and how to access it, so if this site does go up in smoke we at least know where to meet.

Given the admin/IT team's reluctance/inability to fix even the simplest of issues (cache/bad request, emojis and so on), I think this site is being 'mothballed' and left to its own devices. It's up to anyone on the Archant side to prove to the contrary.

I'm happy to set up a new one. My company is happy to fund the site domain / hosting / management etc. 

It would need a selection of moderators if it did grow, though, as it's not something we would have time to manage.

May be worth setting up an alternate place to discuss this? Maybe as a group start via DM first?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

and Wrath of the Barclay (WOTB).

I've looked in on that several times over the years and it looks unfathomable in terms of being able to have discussions - it looks totally user unfriendly, unless I'm missing something. 

Norwich Talk on the other hand has a good format, but is too restrictive. If it was a bit more relaxed, it might attract more posters and be a bit more colourful. This place may be a bit of a minefield sometimes, but at least it has a bit of life to it - it has the good the bad, the beautiful and the ugly - and that is what life is. Norwich Talk could be that too, but it only wants the good - and that means it is as dull as dishwater.

Variety is the spice of life and this site has that and I hope that if Newsquest ever stop the site, that they will be human enough to allow someone to take it on as it is. It is after all a community and valued by many, but underneath it all it is just a piece of software and could be transferred to someone else.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I've looked in on that several times over the years and it looks unfathomable in terms of being able to have discussions - it looks totally user unfriendly, unless I'm missing something. 

Norwich Talk on the other hand has a good format, but is too restrictive. If it was a bit more relaxed, it might attract more posters and be a bit more colourful. This place may be a bit of a minefield sometimes, but at least it has a bit of life to it - it has the good the bad, the beautiful and the ugly - and that is what life is. Norwich Talk could be that too, but it only wants the good - and that means it is as dull as dishwater.

Variety is the spice of life and this site has that and I hope that if Newsquest ever stop the site, that they will be human enough to allow someone to take it on as it is. It is after all a community and valued by many, but underneath it all it is just a piece of software and could be transferred to someone else.

What about Vital Norwich? They love all things Delia and Kenny McLean over there. 

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I love the thought but won't happen in the industry - there's too many regulations re GDPR and other data-related factors that it would be all risk and no reward for Newsquest.

33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm happy to set up a new one. My company is happy to fund the site domain / hosting / management etc. 

It would need a selection of moderators if it did grow, though, as it's not something we would have time to manage.

May be worth setting up an alternate place to discuss this? Maybe as a group start via DM first?

MODERATORS?! GIVE ME THE POWER! I WILL WIELD IT OFTEN AND WITHOUT MERCY!

Erm, sorry, dunno what happened there...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Absolutely. Clearly I am the best qualified.🤩

I did laugh when I saw your name, no offence! =] 

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Absolutely. Clearly I am the best qualified.🤩

A forum run entirely via rolodex and fax.

I am happy to moderate lots of experience.

Will stick a ban list up of verboten words the usual like  

**** And 

**** And 

**** And 

Dean Smith 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So did I! To be serious, if it did ever come to it I would be willing to do some moderating, as the good cop to king canary's bad cop...😍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

So did I! To be serious, if it did ever come to it I would be willing to do some moderating, as the good cop to king canary's bad cop...😍

Power corrupts us all my friend, give it 6 months and you'll be wielding the ban hammer like Mjolnir.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There are funnier suggestions.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oh gosh. That would definitely mean no more jazz offerings!😅

More seriously, I know folk who can set up a messageboard and would be happy to help in any capacity. My last 40 years have involved me maintaining considerable confidences and I can always be trusted in this respect. Moderation would be quite a serious undertaking and as others have indicated it would need quite a few people 

This subject has come up a few times before so maybe at some point it will require a side forum to be established in case. But I'm hopeful it will always be around.

I agree with LDC about this forum and alternatives. The Pinkun is a proper live forum. One of the best.

• Like 1

I'm late to this thread, as I've other things to do in the day despite it looking like I'm on here a lot. I'm grateful to @dylanisabaddog for thinking of me in his OP, and to @hogesar, @PurpleCanary , @sonyc and @Nexus_Canary for volunteering their services. I of course am willing to contribute to any governance requirements ( 😉 ), treasury role (?) etc. 

@Monty13 does give a good counter argument to the need for a new site, but really the service provided by Newsquest recently has shown they have no intention to provide decent support despite the obvious benefits to their business model of having a relatively captive audience that they can mine! And to cap it all I have tried to follow their advice over linking accounts and have failed to make any progress (or is it too early yet, and as always I am showing my impatience!). 

So is the first action to create an off-site space to discuss all this with NCFC & Newsquest getting in the way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

MODERATORS?! GIVE ME THE POWER! I WILL WIELD IT OFTEN AND WITHOUT MERCY!

Erm, sorry, dunno what happened there...

I'll be cool uncle.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

So is the first action to create an off-site space to discuss all this with NCFC & Newsquest getting in the way?

If this is an invite to go down the pub, then yes, I think that is always the best action!

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If this is an invite to go down the pub, then yes, I think that is always the best action!

See you all in the fiveways. Bring a knife. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

It would be a shame as I have been on here since 2003...

Yeh there are load of us been here pre 2010 would be sad to see that gone 

Plenty of Facebook groups to keep folks amused 

This is a little old fashioned now as a message board and I would not be surprised if it is put out of its misery before to long 

I think I'm pre-2010. They really haven't improved this message board in forever. I think it may be worth doing something alternative anyway? Something more modern and user friendly.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

See you all in the fiveways. Bring a knife. 

..for the cheese and crackers, of course.  *ahem*