Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Foulger interview

Interesting timing for this to be released. What did we learn? Not a lot I'd say. 

The club was in financial distress when he and Smith & Jones first invested. No detail about whether he got repaid his Holt match funding. His favourite season was the promotion season to EPL under Lambert. Attanasio will hopefully invest more and he will be good for the club. Foulger is going to be partying with the old players as part of his VP duties. 

Nothing new at all I'd say, but 🤷‍♂️

Edited by shefcanary

Reading between the lines it didn't sound that Delia and Michael will be stepping back anytime soon.

All part of the PR spin (as I alluded to on a separate post) to try and dampen any protests, anti Webber chanting on Monday by waving the Attanasio carrot in front of the gullible faithful. Foulger could have made this statement when he sold his shares. He didn't.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Foulger could have made this statement when he sold his shares. He didn't.    

Maybe he did, but the club held the interview back until today? 

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

gullible faithful.

That's not even an oxymoron.Though it sounds like one  Ifs a fact. Faith by it's  nature,  requires gullibility.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Reading between the lines it didn't sound that Delia and Michael will be stepping back anytime soon.

Oh Christ no. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

If so then it backs up my 'propaganda' fears!

50 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

From a careful note-taking listen to the interview there was absolutely nothing that Foulger said that gave the slightest indication either way as to S&J's future plans. There were no lines to read between.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

From a careful note-taking listen to the interview there was absolutely nothing that Foulger said that gave the slightest indication either way as to S&J's future plans. There were no lines to read between.

1 minute 20 seconds in and he says i wish them all the best to carry on.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Nobody lives forever.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Same thing as the OP ‘s suggesting.  Spin and diversion tactics.

44 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Nobody lives forever.

Hmmmm Delia's mum lived till 100.....so we might not get to see new ownership in our lifetime if Delia follows her mum.....😉

Just now, Indy said:

Hmmmm Delia's mum lived till 100.....so we might not get to see new ownership in our lifetime if Delia follows her mum.....😉

Good. Things weren’t this bad until the outside investment came on board. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Well if I go first I won't  have to worry about it anyway.

There's always a silver lining if you look hard enough.😉

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Well if I go first I won't  have to worry about it anyway.

There's always a silver lining if you look hard enough.😉

Hope we're all booked in with The Count...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Interesting timing for this to be released. What did we learn? Not a lot I'd say. 

The club was in financial distress when he and Smith & Jones first invested. No detail about whether he got repaid his Holt match funding. His favourite season was the promotion season to EPL under Lambert. Attanasio will hopefully invest more and he will be good for the club. Foulger is going to be partying with the old players as part of his VP duties. 

Nothing new at all I'd say, but 🤷‍♂️

Top man will be sadly missed and the main voice of common sense on the board. We will miss his influence. 

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think you read too much into it. Purple is right. First of all, they don't have to completely sell their shares to relinquish their joint majority holding. All I saw in that is that they might continue to be involved in the club. Equally, as others have said, if this was recorded in, say, January, he could well be talking about the immediate future and not years.

So yes, Purple is spot on, really nothing given away at this point.

The question no one appears to be asking though is whether this confirms timings of the sale of those shares... As of yet, do we know when he officially sold his shares to Attanasio? Seems trivial I know, but what if this interview was conducted recently, as in the last couple of weeks? Does it perhaps mean that the sale didn't occur until now? Which means that people have been waiting for that 30% breach being announced might now see that happen?

In terms of timing, the article suggests “in the coming weeks” - that could easily just be a turn of phrase but could suggest something is reasonably close…tbh I would think all parties might think doing something soon would make fairly good sense.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Oh I had heard that. I don’t think anyone expects S&J to sever their connections with the club but there is nothing in that vague phrase to indicate that means Foulger thinks they are staying as majority owners.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think you read too much into it. Purple is right. First of all, they don't have to completely sell their shares to relinquish their joint majority holding. All I saw in that is that they might continue to be involved in the club. Equally, as others have said, if this was recorded in, say, January, he could well be talking about the immediate future and not years.

So yes, Purple is spot on, really nothing given away at this point.

The question no one appears to be asking though is whether this confirms timings of the sale of those shares... As of yet, do we know when he officially sold his shares to Attanasio? Seems trivial I know, but what if this interview was conducted recently, as in the last couple of weeks? Does it perhaps mean that the sale didn't occur until now? Which means that people have been waiting for that 30% breach being announced might now see that happen?

As a matter of fact S&J have approved the creation of nearly 200,000 shares which if bought by Attanasio or anyone would end their dominant position as majority owners. Hardly the action of people intending to hold onto power.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

As a matter of fact S&J have approved the creation of nearly 200,000 shares which if bought by Attanasio or anyone would end their dominant position as majority owners. Hardly the action of people intending to hold onto power.

Exactly.

I think we've said before, this isn't just some random game of shares, this will all have been part of ongoing discussions and an overriding plan. Most likely laid out last summer. The creation of shares, as you say, is the clearest indication yet that things could be changing, we just don't know how exactly.

As I think you have pointed out before, it means that Michael and Delia could yet be around for a bit, just not as the majority shareholders.

At the moment, we can only assume that for some reason or other, the 30% line hasn't been crossed. That could be purely academic if an associate of Attanasio has come on board, for example.

It'll become clearer. Part of this, I suspect, will be to give Foulger his moment to receive thanks from fans and the club for his tenure. Something that would otherwise have been lost amidst a changing of the guard and the hype and bustle around possible take over talk etc. 

I guess we're going to get a lot of this sort of video in the coming days. "Look at what we've achieved together, isn't it great? Here's the future that's coming, look at the job they've done in Milwaukee!" kind of thing. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I guess we're going to get a lot of this sort of video in the coming days. "Look at what we've achieved together, isn't it great? Here's the future that's coming, look at the job they've done in Milwaukee!" kind of thing. 

Going by this, it could be more of an era defining change, retrospective on the past 20-25yrs how we've got to where we have got to but the need for someone to come in and have the finances to take us a step up in that area.

Looks like Iwan Roberts is doing a piece with Pukki on Canary player, I suspect that will be similar.

If it is an ending of an era with Foulger, Delia and Michael all becoming less influential figures at the club, I do think this sort of thing is important for unity. Many will want to thank them for what they have done, their commitment to the club etc. And it does draw a bit of a line under it all for someone else to then take centre stage.

I said this last summer, but I think it says a lot about Attanasio that he respectful, more so even than many long time canary fans, and prepared to take his time, get to grips with the club, learn from the owners and any lessons they have to give and give the fans a chance to warm to the change. Not all, but many people can be fearful of it. 

• Like 1

He has done some good stuff down the years and been in a difficult position. Nonetheless 2 significant flaws with this interview are:

1. Whilst he refers to the Grant Holt donation, he fails to clarify whether his share profits have now more than reimbursed him.

2. His purpose in staying on beyond his share sale was to make progress with the Attanasio's. Therefore why not elaborate on what progress has been made?

45 minutes ago, essex canary said:

He has done some good stuff down the years and been in a difficult position. Nonetheless 2 significant flaws with this interview are:

1. Whilst he refers to the Grant Holt donation, he fails to clarify whether his share profits have now more than reimbursed him.

2. His purpose in staying on beyond his share sale was to make progress with the Attanasio's. Therefore why not elaborate on what progress has been made?

I'm with you on the second point, Essex. I'm sure the club are mindful of the never-ending swirl of speculation caused by the absence of information on the shares issue, and I'm sure they realise that the longer that uncertainty continues, the more speculation, confusion and ill feeling will percolate among the fanbase.

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, but I'd be surprised if we didn't get an official update in the next couple of weeks, even if it's just a placeholder to say that things are still inching forward behind the scenes.

he states MA had chats with other clubs and was looking to invest 

Not quite the story of Webber finding and playing a big role in bringing MA to the club 

sounds more like MA was looking to invest and has seen a opportunity that he likes  

I do like how Mike Attanasio walks out onto the field pumping his fist during the clips - You can see he's well into it.

10 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

he states MA had chats with other clubs and was looking to invest 

Not quite the story of Webber finding and playing a big role in bringing MA to the club 

sounds more like MA was looking to invest and has seen a opportunity that he likes  

Attanasio has said he had been looking for ten years to get into English football. Given that it is quite possible we got wind of his search - football is a small world word probably got around - and approached him. Or it happened simultaneously.