Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Realistic Expectations for the summer

Whilst I’ve never been a fan, the problem is that Webber has a better record at this level than he’s given credit for, and imo is actually paying for the atrocious transfer window last season rather than this one, which wasn’t so bad.  Nunez and Sara are actually decent signings who would both command a better fee than we paid…the problem is Hayden who just never shook off his injuries - but that role seems to have proven very hard to fill.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Whilst I’ve never been a fan, the problem is that Webber has a better record at this level than he’s given credit for, and imo is actually paying for the atrocious transfer window last season rather than this one, which wasn’t so bad.  Nunez and Sara are actually decent signings who would both command a better fee than we paid…the problem is Hayden who just never shook off his injuries - but that role seems to have proven very hard to fill.

I think if you stack all his signings up he’ll have a majority failure list. I have to disagree with you on Nunez. Bar glimpses there’s better at lower cost in this league if not league one. This season was indeed a consequence of Webber’s actions last season. I’ll never know why the owners didn’t just let him go in the summer. We’d have been in a far better position had they done so. It will be unforgivable if they retain him again for another season. 

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

The off the pitch issue that needs fixing more than any other is Webber being shown the door. Whether Delia remains in charge, or another owner, is irrelevant until he goes - as he’ll be wasting whoever’s budget either way. You say the off the pitch issues will take care of themselves. I say they won’t. Contrary to what you may suggest, there is no evidence that Webber is going. The off the pitch issues will therefore not take care of themselves. 

Exactly this ^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Mend bridges with Supporters and local media and start communicating.

Take responsibility for the absolute mess we are in and layout the big picture path to fix.

Give some transparency on what is happening with any takeover.

Announce changes to the board structure to provide better checks and governance of the SD.

Webber and Wagner make it clear what the style of play will be and bring in players able to play it now, not just another bunch of hopeful punts.

I’d be relatively happy with that personally, I see it as best case.

Yes to all of that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Mend bridges with Supporters and local media and start communicating.

Take responsibility for the absolute mess we are in and layout the big picture path to fix.

Give some transparency on what is happening with any takeover.

Announce changes to the board structure to provide better checks and governance of the SD.

Webber and Wagner make it clear what the style of play will be and bring in players able to play it now, not just another bunch of hopeful punts.

I’d be relatively happy with that personally, I see it as best case.

I really don't share your faith in Webber being able to recruit the players required! The last two seasons have proven that, 4 transfer windows and now we are worse off than when he joined!

Edited by Miss Demeanor
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

So Hayden is the sole reason we've had such a sh1t3 season? So, replace him and we're gonna be Champions? Can't wait!

Attanasio needs to put up or shut up.

The club is in limbo, it's fcuking killing us.

Some on here love all this financial sh1t, pissing themselves over the legalities. Start thinking like a fan, not an accountant! 

• Like 3

At the end of the day we're finishing mid table, that means the on field performance was nowhere near good enough.

In my view the responsibility for that lies with the head coach and therefore he should be replaced. On top of that the SD has now appointed 2 bad head coaches in a row, one of the key aspects of his role. Considering that, and the fact that they're clearly mates with each other, then the SD should be replaced too.

The model we have works, placing too much stock in a head coach for transfers will never work in the long run.

Any player activity I'll have to wait and see but if Webber and Wagner remain I will be very worried.

5 minutes ago, Miss Demeanor said:

So Hayden is the sole reason we've had such a sh1t3 season? So, replace him and we're gonna be Champions? Can't wait!

If that’s what you take from what I said, you’re in need of some assistance.

Reset required!

Delia Smith and Jones have been good servants and should always have their front row seats in the Directors box but they are past their sell by date/stale and in their 80's so they haven't got the neccessary energy required. They need to sell out to Attanasio.

Webber came to Norwich as a very ambitious, driven, full of himself, career enhancer who openly admited (which I respected him for being honest about it) that he saw his job at Norwich City as a stepping stone to better things/bigger clubs. - Now due to 2 utterly sh*te Premier League seasons and this poor Championship season on his CV the stepping stone has gone cause no bigger club is interested in his services so hes now happy to hang about drawing a wage, keeping a low profile during current poor times. All the "big Iam" drive he had in his early days at Norwich has gone and its got all to comfortable and stale for him especially with his wife also employed by the club. - Webber needs  to go!

Edited by kingsway
  • Like 6

I think the prevailing view was if we'd sacked Dean Smith earlier we'd have easily made the play offs. Before that this squad was easily good enough to be promoted if not for Dean Smith.

I think we might just have scraped in the play offs if we'd not lost Kenny, Hanley and Gibson. Those three missing was most of our aerial strength in both boxes.

So for next season a couple of centre backs is a must. Along with a proper defensive midfielder to play with Kenny allowing Sara to get higher up the pitch.

It will be more about who we get in than who we get out. We really don't need another pound of flesh. 

Edited by nutty nigel

25 minutes ago, Miss Demeanor said:

I really don't share your faith in Webber being able to recruit the players required! The last two seasons have proven that, 4 transfer windows and now we are worse off than when he joined!

I’m saying best case it could happen, not saying I expect it to happen or any of what I said to happen to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The only players I care about keeping and building a side around are;

Bali Mumba 

Liam Gibbs 

Josh Sargent 

Nunez 

Gianoulis 

Sorenson 

Of that list, one definite (Mumba), the rest I'm "meh" about

I'd like a couple of new signings in early so they can be better bedded into a pre-season where I expect much tougher fitness work than what we seem to have seen over the last two seasons. Hayden was a very good idea at the time with a pedigree that hinted strongly at being the defensive midfielder and spiky character we needed, and a lot of our disdain at that business is very much a reflection of his performance/lack of recovery.

So whilst I agree we're still short of a very athletic defensive midfielder, I don't agree that we've not tried to fill it, but we need another crack at it. I'd like to see good use of free signings within the UK again as then we take the "adapt to a new country" argument out of the equation.

We are starting again. Expect  Max to go . Strikers are not good enough. Our midfield has no holding ability and cannot pass through the lines. Not enough CB cover as has been proven. 
Our obsession with “wingers” has lead to nothing. The South American contingent is at best jury being out and we have placed contractual hope in Onel who three years ago wasn’t deemed good enough. 

So to answer the OP - we need one hell of a close season!  

The change of ownership is the issue that needs addressing as soon as practicable. Hopefully would give Attanasio an opportunity to bring in some of his own staff 

Release:

McGovern, Hayden, Marquinhos, Pukki,

Sell:

Gibson, Aaron’s, Krul, Rashica 

Recall: Mumba and Tomkinson

Buy 4 or 5 experienced athletic, strong, vocal, leaders for the spine of the team, CB, DM, AM and Striker. 

Wagner needs to be given another transfer window and a pre-season, if results are still poor after 15 games then he will have to go.

Webber must come out, talk and inform the media/fans of his plans, apologise for the shambolic performance of the club over the last 2 seasons.

Admit that he got things wrong, again! How he and the club have learnt and will change things.

Finally Attansio’s to invest in the squad, 🙏 

36 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The only players I care about keeping and building a side around are;

Bali Mumba 

Liam Gibbs 

Josh Sargent 

Nunez 

Gianoulis 

Sorenson 

Add

Tzolis, Gunn, Rowe, Tomkinson and Placheta to that list. Sign 4 or 5 experienced, vocal leaders to that group to form the spine of the team and we have the makings of a good Championship squad.

Looking forward to the summer to see what unfolds.

Just now, Yellow Green Army said:

Add

Tzolis, Gunn, Rowe, Tomkinson and Placheta to that list. Sign 4 or 5 experienced, vocal leaders to that group to form the spine of the team and we have the makings of a good Championship squad.

IMO;

Tzolis - out on loan. If he wasn’t on a long term contract I’d cancel it. I can’t see a player, I think fans are clinging on to one or two moments, hoping he’ll come good. 

Rowe - needs a loan in League One, not ready for championship football. 

Gunn - feel we could sell and improve for less money 

Tompkinson - ditto Rowe, but wouldn’t be adverse him being around the 1st team next season. 

Placheta - Surely confirmed now he’s not up to it at this level?

Soccerbot is sold to one of the arcades down at Great Yarmouth so we can all have a go for a couple of £.

Couple of loans, 2 or 3 signings, youth team being used more in the first team. Possibly some changes to backroom coaching staff. Lots of hype and results in pre season followed by mid table finish whilst a brief flirt with playoff positions across the season.

48 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Add

Placheta isn’t even a professional footballer, he’s some Polish lad who came into Norfolk on a plumbing apprenticeship and got lost in Colney.

55 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Release:

McGovern, Hayden, Marquinhos, Pukki,

Sell:

Gibson, Aaron’s, Krul, Rashica 

Recall: Mumba and Tomkinson

Buy 4 or 5 experienced athletic, strong, vocal, leaders for the spine of the team, CB, DM, AM and Striker. 

Wagner needs to be given another transfer window and a pre-season, if results are still poor after 15 games then he will have to go.

Webber must come out, talk and inform the media/fans of his plans, apologise for the shambolic performance of the club over the last 2 seasons.

Admit that he got things wrong, again! How he and the club have learnt and will change things.

Finally Attansio’s to invest in the squad, 🙏 

Tomkinson doesn’t even get a game in league 2 he isn’t the answer to any of our problems !!!

Can the 'card only' for purchases at the club and allow the pound and the yankee dollar to buy hershey bars, twinkies, hot dogs an' bud.....an' stuff....

Turn Delia's into a 'Hooters'.....

.....erm, an' that's about it....

Oh and some luvverly cheerleaders.....

Oh and open the ticket office again....I miss the personal touch....

Edited by Mello Yello

1 hour ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Add

It will be necessary to sell those players that someone else may want. Other Clubs are unlikely to pay for the ones that we don't want. I would be comfortable in selling ANY and ALL of our current players if the money is right and ALL income invested wisely in suitable replacements. The last point is the big issue for me and one that I don't have a lot of confidence in currently.

Edited by Conrad

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

You have conveniently forgotten that bizarre signing on loan from Arsenal who has never once looked like taking on his fullback let alone beating him! 

Wagner keeps saying he's excited about the summer and next season, so let's hope he isn't just talking about his holiday destination. I'm hoping we clear out the obvious dead wood in the squad and bring in some quality, merged with our young talent. Unfortunately what will probably happen is, we get stuck with a lot of the average players we'd rather offload as their wages are too high for other clubs and lose any quality players to cash in.

I'm still unsure about Wagner, but he should be given a chance to build his team, if we start badly and lose to that lot, I can't see the fan base having much patience.

I'm not expecting it, but ofc new owners/investment and a new DoF would be the dream.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd like a couple of new signings in early so they can be better bedded into a pre-season where I expect much tougher fitness work than what we seem to have seen over the last two seasons. Hayden was a very good idea at the time with a pedigree that hinted strongly at being the defensive midfielder and spiky character we needed, and a lot of our disdain at that business is very much a reflection of his performance/lack of recovery.

So whilst I agree we're still short of a very athletic defensive midfielder, I don't agree that we've not tried to fill it, but we need another crack at it. I'd like to see good use of free signings within the UK again as then we take the "adapt to a new country" argument out of the equation.

Spot on! We've done most of our business in recent seasons from the much hyped 'overseas market' and the 'success' ratio is far from impressive. Of course Pukki and Buendia were exceptions. We should return to what we did under Lambert whilst using the overseas market by all means but not be obsessed by it to the detriment of home market supply.   

10 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

You have conveniently forgotten that bizarre signing on loan from Arsenal who has never once looked like taking on his fullback let alone beating him! 

No I haven’t - and actually Ramsey was another decent signing from the summer.  He left due to a mix of his injury and Smith leaving.  Marquinhos hadn’t worked out but then again not one player has looked any good in the last 2 months.

The point is that Webber is usually pretty good at this lever - it’s PL where he gets ripped off, and we’re still paying for it.

Edited by Branston Pickle