Soldier on

Sounds like Dowell will be leaving

55 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Sara has scored 7 goals from midfield, Pedro has scored 11 goals as a striker. You thinking Pedro  being streets ahead of Sara?....We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

I’ve always been completely underwhelmed by Pedro to be honest 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’m not really sure how people keep forgetting this.

Pukki and Buendia are two of the best players I’ve ever seen play for Norwich, probably the best two.

However Lamberts team achieved far greater heights than Farkes.

I'm going to disagree with that. Lambert had two promotions, as did Farke. Momentum played a big part in Lambert's success enabling us to stay in the PL for one season under him, whereas Farke's season in the PL was truncated by injuries to key players and the disruption of the lockdown, both of which combined to kill off any shreds of momentum.

Farke's second promotion was record breaking and the football universally admired for it's brilliance so as amazing as the three years under Lambert were, the football played under Farke was at times unforgettable, with those two amazing championship wins.

Also I would argue that Holt and Hoolahan were key to Lambert in the same way as Pukki and Buendia were to Farke. Take any of those players out of those teams and we were weaker.  Holt was at least as good as Pukki too imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm going to disagree with that. Lambert had two promotions, as did Farke. Momentum played a big part in Lambert's success enabling us to stay in the PL for one season under him, whereas Farke's season in the PL was truncated by injuries to key players and the disruption of the lockdown, both of which combined to kill off any shreds of momentum.

Farke's second promotion was record breaking and the football universally admired for it's brilliance so as amazing as the three years under Lambert were, the football played under Farke was at times unforgettable, with those two amazing championship wins.

Also I would argue that Holt and Hoolahan were key to Lambert in the same way as Pukki and Buendia were to Farke. Take any of those players out of those teams and we were weaker.  Holt was at least as good as Pukki too imo.

Lamberts team stayed in the PL comfortably, with some really great performances.

As “the pinnacle of the last 30 years” go it’s not even close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Dowell leaving doesn't mean we necessarily want him to go, could well just have had enough. Club is toxic, and going backwards, and a free agent is in a strong negotiation position so will probably be looking at a healthy signing on fee.

Yes, absolutely. Was more commenting on the fact that a surprising number of people on here seem happy for him to go.

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Lamberts team stayed in the PL comfortably, with some really great performances.

You’re obviously correct, but it goes against the narrative that Farke was some sort of God.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yes, absolutely. Was more commenting on the fact that a surprising number of people on here seem happy for him to go.

57 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

It's not even subjective,

It's incredibly factual.

• Thanks 1

And if Dowell is leaving, as well as Pukki, who would want to join ncfc ? How can Wagner or Webber 'sell' the club as forward moving, ambitious, united etc? 

3 minutes ago, Bigbrenn said:

And if Dowell is leaving, as well as Pukki, who would want to join ncfc ? How can Wagner or Webber 'sell' the club as forward moving, ambitious, united etc? 

They'll be plenty who come, money talks. They won't care who left before they joined. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigbrenn said:

What?  Players leave clubs all the time, either being released or jetting their contract run down.  With the best will in the world Dowell was ok but only ever a bit-part player,  and with hindsight Pukki should have probably gone last summer.

There will be no problem selling the club to the right players.

2 hours ago, Top corner said:

Sara has scored 7 goals from midfield, Pedro has scored 11 goals as a striker. You thinking Pedro  being streets ahead of Sara?....We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Nice cherry picking of 1 metric there… There is so much more to his game than goals. Sara for all his merits has been pretty inconsistent where the same can’t be said about Joao who has played right across the front 3 positions and in the no. 10 role. That couple of extra years is a big deal as well as between 21 and 23 is a huge time for the development of a forward.

Nobody is paying near to £30m for Sara based on what he’s done so far. He’s gone right off the boil the last month or so too.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Pinnacle is subjective. In the PL-obsessed world football is, Lambert achieved more success by virtue of his PL finish.

But through that same lens, Hughton achieved more. Was that season the pinnacle?

Call me old fashioned, but trophies trump it for me as a fan. And Farke won two.

Edited by canarydan23

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I wouldn’t say happy, but somebody needs to leave to enable a refresh and I doubt many clubs are chasing many of our contracted players.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I wouldn’t say happy, but somebody needs to leave to enable a refresh and I doubt many clubs are chasing many of our contracted players.

Indeed - I think Dowell was decent enough but more of an in-and-out squad player. I dare say we’d have liked to keep him but when everyone is fit he wouldn’t have been in most people’s starting XIs. 

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Pinnacle is subjective. In the PL-obsessed world football is, Lambert achieved more success by virtue of his PL finish.

But through that same lens, Hughton achieved more. Was that season the pinnacle?

Call me old fashioned, but trophies trump it for me as a fan. And Farke won two.

I agree that some elements can be subjective, I’d argue Lamberts higher points total trumps the fact Hughton finished 1 place higher for instance.

But when you are talking about the most successful point of the last 30 years it has to be that achievement, because football is literally measured by the elements on that table.

I suppose as supporters what we feel has been the pinnacle can be different because the how we play is often as important to us as what we achieved. That second Hughton season was dire IMO, everything that had been built fully dismantled (ironically some parallels perhaps to the last two seasons).

I agree winning the championship twice was a fantastic accomplishment, trophy’s in the cabinet do matter, but the shine was taken off by those two abject PL seasons for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Monty13 said:

I agree that some elements can be subjective, I’d argue Lamberts higher points total trumps the fact Hughton finished 1 place higher for instance.

But when you are talking about the most successful point of the last 30 years it has to be that achievement, because football is literally measured by the elements on that table.

I suppose as supporters what we feel has been the pinnacle can be different because the how we play is often as important to us as what we achieved. That second Hughton season was dire IMO, everything that had been built fully dismantled (ironically some parallels perhaps to the last two seasons).

I agree winning the championship twice was a fantastic accomplishment, trophy’s in the cabinet do matter, but the shine was taken off by those two abject PL seasons for me.

It doesn't change how much we enjoyed winning those titles in the moment, which should be the most important thing for a fan.

I enjoyed Lambert's League One season far more than finishing 11th in the EPL, highest (and therefore best) season for nearly three decades.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

It doesn't change how much we enjoyed winning those titles in the moment, which should be the most important thing for a fan.

I enjoyed Lambert's League One season far more than finishing 11th in the EPL, highest (and therefore best) season for nearly three decades.

Fair. It’s a long while ago but Lamberts is still my favourite top flight season since 93, not that there’s been much competition.

Being competitive in the PL may not have brought a trophy but personally it was fantastic to see after so long. It felt like a high water mark to me, both looking back and now forward. Not just because of the finish but what it represented. A Norwich team who were genuinely competitive with the best teams in the country.

• Like 1

Dowell signing for rangers it seems , full raid if the Hanley rumours were / are true.

Sad state when you lose players to Scotland

6 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Dowell signing for rangers it seems , full raid if the Hanley rumours were / are true.

It will probably be where we are shopping for new players next season. Oh happy days.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Nice cherry picking of 1 metric there… There is so much more to his game than goals. Sara for all his merits has been pretty inconsistent where the same can’t be said about Joao who has played right across the front 3 positions and in the no. 10 role. That couple of extra years is a big deal as well as between 21 and 23 is a huge time for the development of a forward.

Nobody is paying near to £30m for Sara based on what he’s done so far. He’s gone right off the boil the last month or so too.

I’m not cherry picking, I’m just quoting facts, I never said Sara was worth £30 million, I just think £30 million is way to much for a striker who has scored 27 goals in 129 matches. 

38 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Doubt Hanley is back before Christmas anyway is he? Serious Achilles injury he’s going to be lucky if he plays again unfortunately. Really feel for him, could be a career ender over something so innocuous when it happened.

4 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Facts are facts.

But football is a feeling.

Hughton's 11th is our best achievement since 92/93.

But it didn't feel as good as Lambert's 12th.

My favourite seasons was our league one season, for personal reasons, I was able to get to nearly all the away games, tickets were £10 and we were super successful. I remember one of my favourite games was the defeat at Tranmere, everything went against us but we played so well and battered them.

Also disagree with the poster who said trophies (2nd division) are a bigger achievement finishing 11th/12th in Prem.

Also, Wembley, Cameron Jerome and Nathan Redmond was a better feeling than winning the league at Villa Park.

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Doubt Hanley is back before Christmas anyway is he? Serious Achilles injury he’s going to be lucky if he plays again unfortunately. Really feel for him, could be a career ender over something so innocuous when it happened.

I’m afraid Hanley is done. The yard of pace was what made him such a good defender, the rest of his game is average at best. At his age that injury will put paid to that, so after 6-9 months when he returns he simply won’t be the same player we’ve had for the past few seasons.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Facts are facts.

But football is a feeling.

Hughton's 11th is our best achievement since 92/93.

But it didn't feel as good as Lambert's 12th.

My favourite seasons was our league one season, for personal reasons, I was able to get to nearly all the away games, tickets were £10 and we were super successful. I remember one of my favourite games was the defeat at Tranmere, everything went against us but we played so well and battered them.

Also disagree with the poster who said trophies (2nd division) are a bigger achievement finishing 11th/12th in Prem.

Also, Wembley, Cameron Jerome and Nathan Redmond was a better feeling than winning the league at Villa Park.

I think of it if someone offered me another Championship title but a 20th PL finish or a playoff win and a safe mid table finish the year after, I’d go for the latter without a second’s hesitation.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2023 at 19:44, sgncfc said:

Nah. Holt, Hoolahan and 9 others surviving comfortably in the EPL for two seasons was the pinnacle since Munich.

I remain convinced that, had we retained our entire 20/21 title winning team (and tactics), we would have achieved similar.