Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

REALITY CHECK - Plus cynicism

First thing to bare in mind about recent news. We haven''t spent a penny yet, so to speak, on Huckerby or Svensson. No-one knows if we''ve got the money for both - i feel certain we haven''t. Do the board really expect to get both of them? Having just shelled out on Mckenzie?
It looks very muddled to me. If DH wants something sorted out for the remainder of his contract (which is only fair when it''s worth 1.5mil and he''s about to take a pay cut) surely it would have been better to hold back on the Mckenzie deal to see if that money couldn''t be put towards the DH deal.
To be cynical, i don''t think they were or are expecting to get both. Because i guarantee you this - if, miracle of miracles, Huckerby signs, we will drop interest in Svensson. If he doesn''t, we''ll get Svensson.

Noooo. Noooooooooooo! It''s not true, we''re going to have three new strikers!!

La Laaa la la Laaa (can''t hear you, I''ve got my hands on my ears...)

Quite right mook - and Worthy hints that he IS looking to get three so it must be true.

Now where is my map of the flat world?

I initially thought that, but these quotes from Mr Cliche himself seem to suggest otherwise:

"I''m delighted that money has been made available for these [Huckerby and Svensson]players," said Worthington. "As I said the other day we''ll never have a better chance of getting in the Premiership than we have this season and if we hadn''t have taken a little gamble now it would have been a cardinal sin.

"The purse strings have been released, which is nice, and now we need to pay the board back by getting the right results."

"We''ve already signed Leon McKenzie and we''re looking to bring in Darren Huckerby and Mathias Svensson – I''m grateful for the support I have received and I''m sure we''re doing the right thing as a club,"

This presumably means the board are budgeting for all three, however I''ve got a horrible feeling the Huckerby thing isn''t going to happen......

"As I said the other day we''ll never have a better chance of getting in the Premiership"

Nope, one nil up against Brum in cardiff with 20 minutes to go would offer far shorter odds than ever would half way through a season with 23 more games to go

Sorry, the cynic in me rears its ugly head again. Worthy is a shrewd man. He showed that to get the job at City in the first place, to secure his contract extension, to get the big transfer kitty in the summer and then the loan players, and he showed it to get the board to put these bids put in for Hucks and Svensson.

Now he''s showing it again by pretending to assume that because the bids have gone in for both players, the money is available for both players, thereby putting more pressure on the board. I don''t think the money is available. The only way it would be is if say Proton or Delia/MWJ have come up with it. And if they had it would be for the whole package, Man City contract settlement and all. As it is, we haven''t got enough for the whole deal, hence all the waiting. I beleive DH is torn between coming here and getting a precious out of his existing contract or going to West Brom/Ham etc and getting a nice lump sum of 300k or so. Don''t hold your breath. It''ll be one or other, not both. Plus Leon already secured. Sorry Mook, you gonna have to take your hands off your ears eventually!

Cheer up, Iwan is going to stick one in on Sunday!