What next ? Not a first choice even with the current level of injuries. Unlike Idah, there are flashes of talent, but few and far between so far. He is yet to be the 'star', a stand out player in the mould of Huckerby, Wes, or Buendia. Gibbs has hit the ground running (someone I thought would still be around the U23s at this stage). Tzolis is a year older. I can't see any sizeable fee being offered at the moment, so we are stuck with him. His contract is for another 3 years, June 2026.

God knows what's going on with him, I don't buy that he's not getting gametime as he's "One for the future" as Rowe was crooked for months and came walking into the starting 11 ahead of him.

I think he's a talented lad who needs gametime, others disagree.. It'd be nice to see him get a few 90 mins really instead of robbing us of the chance to see what a Webber wonderkid is capable of - or perhaps that's the reason he's not played?  **** knows.

Feels like we sent Stu down the shops, returned with no change, and now won't show us what he bought.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

Tzolis I suspect is the sort of player that when things are going well, looks really good, but when things are going badly looks awful.

We have more than a few of these players at the moment, hence why we seem to start well but never recover once the opposition has clocked us.

I'd like to get a look at Tzolis in a team playing on the front-foot with a midfield capable of holding its ground before deciding if he's binnable.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

God knows what's going on with him, I don't buy that he's not getting gametime as he's "One for the future" as Rowe was crooked for months and came walking into the starting 11 ahead of him.

I think he's a talented lad who needs gametime, others disagree.. It'd be nice to see him get a few 90 mins really instead of robbing us of the chance to see what a Webber wonderkid is capable of - or perhaps that's the reason he's not played?  **** knows.

Feels like we sent Stu down the shops, returned with no change, and now won't show us what he bought.

The 'game time' stuff is a bit of a myth. If Tzolis is not playing, it is because he is not showing he is up to it in training. Rowe is, as must have been Gibbs. You don't give a player 'go' to see how well they can play, that is seen in training. Games are played in training. He should take a leave out of Onel's book.  Tzolis should be commanding his place in the team, not being shoved on near the end when all else has failed.

• Like 1

Probably have more use for “magic beans”. How many chances does one person get?? If he’s blocking the route to academy talent that look like they give a fk get rid and file under Winkel.

• Like 1

Problem is, his stock is so low we aren't going to get anything more than a nominal fee for him. We tried sending him on loan, that didn't really work.

I suspect we will try and sign players in the summer in wide positions that will likely render him pointless for us - unless he has a storming pre-season under Wagner.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Problem is, his stock is so low we aren't going to get anything more than a nominal fee for him. We tried sending him on loan, that didn't really work.

I suspect we will try and sign players in the summer in wide positions that will likely render him pointless for us - unless he has a storming pre-season under Wagner.

So what you’re saying is we’re filing him under Winkel and selling him for a nominal amount??

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

So what you’re saying is we’re filing him under Winkel and selling him for a nominal amount??

Yes, probably 😄 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Don't worry about signing wide players during the summer as Wagner in todays presser was bigging up Placheta. Now that really is a worry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beginning to feel like there are a few people crying with laughter over the Tzolis deal.

Certainly not worth £8m, just glad that Webber didn't **** any money up the wall......

Although sending him off on loan probably didn't help but then Dean Smith, not a football manager.

Next year will be make or break crucial for him, hope he gets his head down as there is a player in there.

I think Wagner wants his players physically fit and that's something you can't really accuse Tzolis of being 

My guess is Wagner may tell him to get super fit in preseason and then he may give him a go

After all Emi was a bit overweight when he arrived and they got him training properly and the rest is history 

It's the only hope I can see for Tzolis, sadly

• Like 2

Unlike many on here, I think Tzolis has talent. What I'm worried about is his application and mentality. As Chichcan says above, the first thing he has to do is to get fit. If he's not willing to do that, it doesn't matter how much talent he has or doesn't have - we sell for whatever money we can get.

It's worth considering that he was 19 when he came to a totally different country, language zone and culture, he joined a poor squad struggling to make any impression at all on games, then we had the penalty incident and the ticking off by Farke, then Smith arrived and quickly made it clear that he viewed him as surplus to requirements, then another loan to another country, and eventually he came back looking like the Michelin Man. Wagner seems to have tried putting his shoulder around him and offered him a possible way forward into the team. If Tzolis makes it clear that he'll do his best to take it, I think he should be given a chance, especially considering how much he cost us and how little we are likely to get back at the moment, but if he still looks like the Michelin Man by pre-season, we just write off our losses.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I think Wagner wants his players physically fit 

He really couldn't be further from a Wagner player.

36 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I think Wagner wants his players physically fit and that's something you can't really accuse Tzolis of being 

My guess is Wagner may tell him to get super fit in preseason and then he may give him a go

After all Emi was a bit overweight when he arrived and they got him training properly and the rest is history 

It's the only hope I can see for Tzolis, sadly

I saw a little bit of last week's u-21 match when he played and was struck by the fact that he looked a fair bit slimmer so maybe he's already sorting himself out.  He applied himself well from what I saw of the match but didn't do anything magical

• Thanks 1

I can see Tzolis getting super fit and becoming one of our forwards in the new Wagner set up. Scores for fun next season and lives up to his early wonder kid promise. And no I haven't had a skinful. There's a reason some of Europe's big teams were watching him in Greece. 

3 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Tzolis should be commanding his place in the team, not being shoved on near the end when all else has failed.

I think he just lacks the pace to compete with Onel or Rowe is the biggest problem.  I'm convinced of his ability, but see him in a more central position, I think the problem is combining his physical attributes and skillset to a key position that suits. 

Unlike Rowe who you can just throw in and know he'll give you legs.

Hopefully we still see him as long term and will take the chance of building around him more centrally - But really, I don't know how that decision can be made when he's not getting gametime behind the likes of Marquinhos, Idah etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

i think maybe he played really well when he hit the scene and a lot of hype ? only 42 games for PAOK so not that many games i read some were in European / Europa cup games so bit more of a spot light 

That can happen and has happen here youngsters  play well for a few games then next thing they are the next great player 

it would have to be some sort of Miracle for him to start getting anywhere near the level of player we thought we were buying 

I would have thought we will loan him out again in a hope that a sale might follow. He needs a lot of nurturing and I'm not sure the club or fans have that much patience.

He doesn't have the pace or physicality for the English game, well that's how it looks at the moment.

15 hours ago, sillysausage said:

At least he's not bigging up 1p5wich !

I call it smelling the coffee as to what is going on down the A140 as unpalatable as it might be those wearing yellow and green tinted glasses would do well to take on board.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I call it smelling the coffee as to what is going on down the A140 as unpalatable as it might be those wearing yellow and green tinted glasses would do well to take on board.

Damp Pants  .

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

I imagine the options are this....

1- He looks good in preseason and we make him a core squad member

2- We cut our losses and sell to a Greek or Turkish team for a couple of million tops.

3- He gets sent out on loan again with the hope he can raise his confident and stock ahead of a sale next summer.

Tzolis for me has a HUGE potential for saving us next year. He's clearly struggling with getting fully match fit. IF, we can get a full pre season into him and bring him up to Wagner's expected levels then I'm sure there's a player in there ready to destroy the Championship. Problem is, his confidence is completely shot and he's never really had a run of games to get that match fitness in. I honestly think there's a quality top player there.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You call it what you like Tillo. Do you always shrink when faced with a challenge? 

Poor Tzolis....It all started with that penalty....

Personally I think a good pre-season and Tzolis will be a main feature for us next season....Sporadic minutes here and there don't do a player any good....

Keep him....nurture him....make him feel wanted....

14 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Unlike many on here, I think Tzolis has talent. What I'm worried about is his application and mentality. As Chichcan says above, the first thing he has to do is to get fit. If he's not willing to do that, it doesn't matter how much talent he has or doesn't have - we sell for whatever money we can get.

It's worth considering that he was 19 when he came to a totally different country, language zone and culture, he joined a poor squad struggling to make any impression at all on games, then we had the penalty incident and the ticking off by Farke, then Smith arrived and quickly made it clear that he viewed him as surplus to requirements, then another loan to another country, and eventually he came back looking like the Michelin Man. Wagner seems to have tried putting his shoulder around him and offered him a possible way forward into the team. If Tzolis makes it clear that he'll do his best to take it, I think he should be given a chance, especially considering how much he cost us and how little we are likely to get back at the moment, but if he still looks like the Michelin Man by pre-season, we just write off our losses.

I think as a club we have to ignore how much he cost us. Making decisions based on our financial outlay for him will only end badly. We need to accept we paid something far beyond his worth. If he had come through our youth academy we would be questioning why we're bothering with him when we have Rowe. If we had paid 1mill for him we'd be saying sell him to a League One club for 200k and cut your losses. 

Tzolis has had chances this season. And last season. Smith even gave him another chance in the Prem before quickly realising....

This season Wagner has brought him back from an unsuccessful loan spell and still can't seem to get a tune out of him whatsoever. If this was a scottish kid we'd paid £250k for fan would have absolutely no problem writing him off and getting rid 6 months into his time here.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

I imagine the options are this....

1- He looks good in preseason and we make him a core squad member

2- We cut our losses and sell to a Greek or Turkish team for a couple of million tops.

3- He gets sent out on loan again with the hope he can raise his confident and stock ahead of a sale next summer.

If we could get a couple of million i'd 100% be taking that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Tzolis for me has a HUGE potential for saving us next year. He's clearly struggling with getting fully match fit. IF, we can get a full pre season into him and bring him up to Wagner's expected levels then I'm sure there's a player in there ready to destroy the Championship. Problem is, his confidence is completely shot and he's never really had a run of games to get that match fitness in. I honestly think there's a quality top player there.

I hope you are right, as we surely have been waiting long enough for the Greek George Best to come good.

If he stays at Carrow Road, the pre-season could be very significant for him, and also probably his last chance of making his mark at here.

Otherwise, Achilles FC might find a million for him.

(Beware of Greeks bearing promise.)