Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

My only concern with that ids goals and i know we are set up so more people are scoring goals now ,

idah has just as many goals this season so maybe he will come good but sarge was the proven goal scorer in team ,

we are relying now on low goal scorers to up their game ,

which can happen and has at the start but maybe 10 games is a bit much to expect that we need a more proven goal scorer

Surprisingly, I don't really disagree with this. Sargent was looking in good nick, probably in line to be a 20 goal a season striker but also giving the the team something extra with his work rate. Not easy to replace, which is why I think Wagner is thinking of going with what we have rather than sub-standard panic replacement.

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

No Kenny tonight - being bubble wrapped and posted off to Leeds? I hope not…

Davitt just reported it was nothing to read into 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

And Gibsons off on a beach day

I have a feeling he probably is injured, he always seems to have a slight strain after every match. But he will have recovered by Saturday. 😉

Happy that we are giving some of the guys a rest - I’d not read too much into it.  I feel a bit for Duffy as he doesn’t get a break, showing we do need another cb.

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Happy that we are giving some of the guys a rest - I’d not read too much into it.  I feel a bit for Duffy as he doesn’t get a break, showing we do need another cb.

I don't have the stats to hand but I'd be surprised if his running stats weren't around the lowest in our team. He's a clever defender so doesn't need to sprint often and Gibson is usually the one who carries the ball forward. I'm more worried about Idah and Sara to be honest as our forwards and center mids get through a hell of a lot of running every game. 

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Surprisingly, I don't really disagree with this. Sargent was looking in good nick, probably in line to be a 20 goal a season striker but also giving the the team something extra with his work rate. Not easy to replace, which is why I think Wagner is thinking of going with what we have rather than sub-standard panic replacement.

I understand the earlier point about when Sargent and Barnes have played one of them has been a false nine. But then if they swap the false nine has to become the lone striker. i see Wagner quoted Gibbs as someone who could come in. As a false nine, perhaps, but then he could hardly switch to be a lone striker. Shades of Darel Russell!

I think it all depends on how long Sargent is out for. A month equals five league games. That might be manageable. Two months equals ten league games, which strikes me as not being manageable. And three months equals 14. But then we would need to find someone good enough - and willing - to come in.

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I understand the earlier point about when Sargent and Barnes have played one of them has been a false nine. But then if they swap the false nine has to become the lone striker. i see Wagner quoted Gibbs as someone who could come in. As a false nine, perhaps, but then he could hardly switch to be a lone striker. Shades of Darel Russell!

I think it all depends on how long Sargent is out for. A month equals five league games. That might be manageable. Two months equals ten league games, which strikes me as not being manageable. And three months equals 14. But then we would need to find someone good enough - and willing - to come in.

That's not how I understand it (if I understand what cleverer tactictians than me explain). TheyBOTH play as false 9s at the same time creating a midfield box to overload the oppositions CDM. This then gives options for the wide players to invert and become the front two or Sara/McLean to rotate and do the same. There is no lone striker or No 10 as would previously be understood. Wagner would rather go wide than down the middle anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigFish said:

That's not how I understand it (if I understand what cleverer tactictians than me explain). TheyBOTH play as false 9s at the same time creating a midfield box to overload the oppositions CDM. This then gives options for the wide players to invert and become the front two or Sara/McLean to rotate and do the same. There is no lone striker or No 10 as would previously be understood. Wagner would rather go wide than down the middle anyway.

this sounds about right to me. Barnes in particular was playing hilariously deep on Saturday, almost dropping between the CBs at times. (Sargent had gone off by the time I got my stream to work...)

53 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

this sounds about right to me. Barnes in particular was playing hilariously deep on Saturday, almost dropping between the CBs at times. (Sargent had gone off by the time I got my stream to work...)

Fees are paid over three years, so we are able to sign the Czech.  We don't want to be as we were when Dean Ashton was not brought in until after Xmas. No Jan signing, but Jan Kutcha ........ now

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

BF, I take that, and I had noticed, for example, how deep Barnes was dropping on Saturday. That said, given the opportunity then until now Wagner has played two strikers in those false 9 positions rather than the midfielders he now has said could fill those places in Sargent’s absence. I think that is telling.

And if it is true that Sargent is going to be out for months (which translates to at least ten games) then relying on a still far from totally convincing Idah and a thirty-something Barnes looks dangerous. 

25 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Fees are paid over three years, so we are able to sign the Czech.  We don't want to be as we were when Dean Ashton was not brought in until after Xmas. No Jan signing, but Jan Kutcha ........ now

Cringe again. 

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

He said after the first cup game that he's a player that wants to be playing games and gets more from playing regularly. Didn't sound like a player that wanted to rest.

Tomkinson back after the international break.

I'm sure we have the funds to sign an amazing striker that will smash the record of our top signing. Come on Delia!!!!!

Sadly we seem to lack the funds to sign the CB and ST needed. The injury to Sarge is a massive blow - as idah showed last night his ability to miss clear chances more than he scores them. 

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

BF, I take that, and I had noticed, for example, how deep Barnes was dropping on Saturday. That said, given the opportunity then until now Wagner has played two strikers in those false 9 positions rather than the midfielders he now has said could fill those places in Sargent’s absence. I think that is telling.

And if it is true that Sargent is going to be out for months (which translates to at least ten games) then relying on a still far from totally convincing Idah and a thirty-something Barnes looks dangerous. 

Don't get me wrong Purps, Sarge is a big miss and certainly is in our best 11 when fit. What I was taking issue with is some other posters doubting what Wagner said, that there are guys already in the building who can play the false 9 role. Maybe we'll get a loan but I don't see us spending a seven or eight figure sum to cover the gap.

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Don't get me wrong Purps, Sarge is a big miss and certainly is in our best 11 when fit. What I was taking issue with is some other posters doubting what Wagner said, that there are guys already in the building who can play the false 9 role. Maybe we'll get a loan but I don't see us spending a seven or eight figure sum to cover the gap.

Not sure we have anyone even close re work rate and finishing ability. Barnes could be pushed forward but you need options off the bench and Idah’s ability to stay fit doesn’t fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Not sure we have anyone even close re work rate and finishing ability. Barnes could be pushed forward but you need options off the bench and Idah’s ability to stay fit doesn’t fill me with confidence.

This is the part of It I worry about. It's clear Sargent brings a whole different aspect to our game with his work rate and all his does off the ball. Like in the Huddersfield match we were doing great making chances after chances and scoring for fun and then as soon as he went off it felt like all our attacking outlet just slowed to a crawl.

55 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Barnes is great where he currently is. But his lack of pace was very evident last night - he would offer little threat behind. 

47 minutes ago, Bert said:

The American needs to dip into his pocket 

If that share issue is imminent it might be an opportune moment to raid the piggy bank and build on our momentum.

Listening to David Wagners comments yesterday I did wonder if he see Placheta offering the threat in behind as a contingency using his pace and strength.  

Can't say I have seen that potential myself, equally before the game yesterday I didn't see that goal coming last night.